Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Is this the "Mystery No Start"?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this the "Mystery No Start"?

I have read through most of the "Mystery No Start" and "Relay Control Module" posts, but can't find anything that matches my conditions exactly.

I have an 04 Limited Auto with 22K miles.

On Friday I drove 80 miles. Saturday I started the car to move it out of the drive way to let another car out, ran 30 seconds. Sunday I tried to start it, it cranked but only got a few random single cylinder fires. I tried this four times, crank and sputter each time. Waited five minutes and tried again. On the third time at the first sputter I step on the gas pedal, maybe 25% and it started roughly. Blew out some blue smoke indicating unburnt fuel.

Since then no problems, started perfectly 20 times.

At first I thought there was no fuel, fuel pump relay?, but the blue smoke out the tail pipe makes me think it was flooded.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Kurt

Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Is this the "Mystery No Start"?

I can't specifically comment on the Crossfire since I have only owned it since May, but other FI cars I have owned over the years have known to flood. Can't say why but it happens.

Anytime you suspect a flooded engine, hold the gas pedal down to the floor before you turn the key on. By holding down the pedal, you are telling the ECU to 'clear flood' . With that, no injectors will spray and you are allowing maximum air into the cylinders with the throttle body wide open.

If it still fails to start, do not let off the pedal, but turn the key off for a minute or two. That will allow some fuel to evaporate and also let the starter cool down. Attempt again to start it without letting the pedal up. From my expierence, the second attempt will general start the car if it was truely flooded.

James

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Is this the "Mystery No Start"?

That is similar to what happened when my crank position sensor went out. I was at the track and waiting in line so I turned the engine off. Turned it on to move forward and shut it off. When I went to fire it up to take position it ran rough as hell and died. Then rough started again and I gave it gas and it smoothed out and ran normal. I made my run and it behaved like normal and I did another run and then noticed I had a CEL hiding behind my cruise lever. I drove it home and the next day it wouldnt start. DTC P0335, crank position sensor.

This may not be your problem but it is something to keep in mind.

MikeR