Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Where to get my pads changed?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get my pads changed?

Well its that time, I need to change my brake pads. I just ordered a full set of rotex golds from brakeword. Where would be the best place to have these installed? I guess it would come down to a dealer, a local shop, or a chain shop. I would like to have the rotors surface refinished so that needs to factor in.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Where to get my pads changed?

Ask your friends and relatives for a recommendation?

If they trust a shop/person, it usually means you can.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In addition to what Maxcichon said, stay away from big chain shops. Go with a reputable local shop. Talk with friends and coworkers.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to buy some pads for the GF, I don't know the 0-60 stoppage but I'm sure her pads are fine. Let me do some more research.

POSTED FROM IPHONE

Old 10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
CRM

Yep , ask around for a local, reputable shop. And don't waste you monies on machining of you rotors. New ones list for about $92 each. By the time you pay someone to R&R and the machine work, you'll come out better in the long run to just replace them.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by rodimus
I had to buy some pads for the GF, I don't know the 0-60 stoppage but I'm sure her pads are fine. Let me do some more research.

POSTED FROM IPHONE
lol my mind went to this right away aswell lol MAXI makes a that new kevlar one I would try those

Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM

just get a six pack and do it

Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by CRM
Yep , ask around for a local, reputable shop. And don't waste you monies on machining of you rotors. New ones list for about $92 each. By the time you pay someone to R&R and the machine work, you'll come out better in the long run to just replace them.
Just bought slotted and drilled rotors from Brake World for $235 for both. Not a bad deal when stock was $180 from Car Quest.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Like most suggested, go to a local shop. I happened to stumble across a local shop here by me a couple weeks back when I was at the Jiffy Lube getting the oil changed in the wifes car. There was a "general repair, electrical/brake shop right next to JL. Went over, talked to the owner....Mac..name of the shop.....Mac's! He has been at the location for 18 years, but never had a need to go there, as I used to do all my own brake pad swaps, tune ups, etc. But getting tired. I had my wifes pads swapped for a fair cost. I had been searching pad prices for her car, so I knew he was in the ball park. He charged me his cost for the pads I wanted, surfaced all four rotors, and put the pads in for $75 labor, plus the parts, which were at his cost. Took him about 1.5 hours, woulda taken me all day! Now i'm thinking about getting some slotted/drilled rotors for the XF off the 'Bay, but need to figure away to "hide" it from the wife! Mac said if I supply the parts, (rotors/pads), he would replace all four corners for $50. I'll eat the donuts and watch his TV while his guys do the work....a perfect Saturday morning!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM

I know that they are not all the same, but I have just recently had a very bad experience with a Belle Tire. To make a long story short, I have a 1965 Plymouth Satellite and I had taken it to a Belle Tire and while I was there, I asked if they could bleed the brakes. They said they could, but found the brake fluid was almost empty in the MC. They told me that they needed to do a complete brake inspection at a minimum of 3 hrs labor at $70.00 and then they would have to fix anything they found, including wheel bearings if they felt they were needed.

I told them to forget looking for the leak and to just bleed them. They refused telling me they would be responsible for the car if anything happened to it since they worked on it last. I told they to write on the receipt something to the effect of Bleed brakes - Advised customer of xxxxxxxxxx and that I would sign it. They refused. I asked if they would at least put brake fluid in it for me, they refused. I ask if I could purchase brake fluid and they said I could, but would not let me use a wrench to take the cap off. They also advised me that if I had a wrench I couldn't work on it on their property. They wanted to call a tow truck because they felt it was unsafe to drive.

It had plenty of pedal, spongy but plenty of pedal as I had just drove it there and it had an emergency brake so I just drove it home. That weekend I tore it down, it didn't have a leak. The previous owner had put new brakes, new brake cylinders, new flex hose and one new brake line on the front, but it appears as though he failed to fill the master cylinder. I did a brake bleed on it over the weekend and it is just fine. They were talking $300+ which turned out to be a low master cylinder.

I have written to Belle Tire Corporate twice and only received a response telling me that I would get a response with 48 hours.

Needless to say, Belle Tire is not a place that will every get my business.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like a local shop is the way to go, I'll start asking around. I had considered new rotors, but had read in another thread that machining would be comparable. But if it really is better in the long run, I'll look into it.