Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Winter Tires

Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Hey Everyone,

So I bought my Crossfire instead of other options because there are quite a few ppl out there that still drive them in winter. I started looking for winter tires last week and have been unable to find a set of winter tires for less than $2000 CAN. My local chrysler dealership was the only one that could find stock tire sizes, where as every other tire shop was playing with sizes that would fit the specs and not ruin the incline ratio from rear to front because they couldn't find 18 and 19 rims or tires. As for winter rims, dealers pretty much just laugh when I tell them what size and vehicle I need them for.

Any suggestions??? What tire makes do you use and where did you find them. I am probably just going to buy a winter beater and store my xfire now. But it's kind of depressing.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Winter Tires

Step 1: 14" Steelies
Step 2: Hoosiers
Step 3: Don't do step 1 or 2

But in all seriousness, I'd suggest your winter beater option, depending on how much wear you want to put on the car. Personally I live in CA so I really don't have to worry too much. But once I get stationed somewhere else (military) I'll probably have an old *** honda to slide around in.

if you REALLY want to keep the crossfire I'd suggest go to Tire Rack and look at their "Surveys" section...It's a wonderful tool for comparing tires, based off of user and professional reviews, with scores from 1 to 10 in every category imaginable.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 AM

I have Limited wheels with Pirelli (sp) Blizzaks I got from tireRack that I run on my SRT6 during the winter. This setup runs great and cost way less than 2K. I would do a search and look at some of the other guys setup. I've got two front wheels (resonable price) to get you started if you wish. Once you get setup, I figure it will take many years before you will need to spend anymore $$$ on winter tires.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Put the $2,000 into a front wheel drive beater, preferably with snows and insure it with the money you get back for just having fire and theft on the Xfire. At your age it has got to be better economically, one fender bender in the Xfire and you would be looking at a massive increase in premiums no matter what you drive next. I spoke to a guy who drove a Xfire without snows in the winter and he said it was hairy in ice and snow.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular

I have a spare set of limited wheels i run on my SRT in the winter with Goodyear F1 All Seasons. I don't really drive much in the winter but I can. Less than 2K - also on Tire Rack.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I'm obligated to do that because there's 18 pages of threads that show up when you SEARCH this topic!!!!!!!!!!

BTW.......Goodyear F1 A/S.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Well I checked out Tire Rack, I'm from Canada so tirerack.com isn't thrown around as an option much, with that being said I was still able to find tires shipped with taxes and border taxes for about $1400 CAN. Costly but better then the prices in Canada.

PS. I guess I should have searched winter tires, lol, good call

Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 AM

I put on 18" winter wheels all around just like the manual says. There are lots of tire choices once you stop looking for 19" tires. I got Blizzaks from Active Green and Ross and they have worked great for two winters.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 AM

Don't drive your crossfire in the Winter, buy a beater!

I hate to say this but the crossfire seems pretty prone to rust, My crossfire has more rust on the underside/ behind the door seals/ inside rear wheel arch then my 1989 audi 100 w/270,000 kms on it. That's said!

The audi's are fully galvanized the crossfire are build with recycled italian steel from old fiat's or something like that.

Truth hurts sometimes.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 AM

I purchased Mercedes knock off aluminum rims 16 in with 60 profile tires, cost was resonable, and easy to find. Does not look as good as the summer setup but for the winter it wil do, 2 seasons no issues.
Just to note had to get new bolts, and machine the rears down as there is different rim widths, I mark the rear with an X as the length difference is only 1-2 mm. Don't have to sort the next year.
I you are going to drive in the winter, I recommend doing a little extra to help keep your car rust free, the green can of rust protector, $8.56 at walmart, you can spray engine compartment, bottom of doors and where bumper mount to metal body pannels. Hood and hatch are also important, the area that I have rust only is the handle or latch for the rear hatch the square mounting plate. This is not an oil but more of a greasy jelly spray, sticks in place does not run, in the spring just go to local spray and wash and looks like new..

don't go out in deep snow, other than that have fun...