Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

KN Air Filters

Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KN Air Filters

I had KN Air Filters installed today and I'm amazed how the performance increased in my 04 Xfire ltd. The response was quick and the car ran very smooth. I thought it was great before but now I'm a KN believer.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: KN Air Filters

supposedly you will have great performance for a few, then the dirt will go threw the filters and mess up your car. that what my mechanic says. he hates K&N. i put one in my car and i liked it too. maybe hes crazy?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beanboy429
supposedly you will have great performance for a few, then the dirt will go threw the filters and mess up your car. that what my mechanic says. he hates K&N. i put one in my car and i liked it too. maybe hes crazy?
The filter works because it is more porus. Without regular oiling and cleaning, larger "specks" of dirt get in.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM

How often do you clean them?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:13 PM

I was told every 15,000 or 20,000 miles.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Have been useing K&N filters on my bikes for years with no problems . My current intake on my Kawasaki Meanstreak is open to direct air so I wash and re-oil every four thousand miles . I will switch to K&N's on the XF at next filter change , got new filters from dealer when I bought the Beast .

Old 11-07-2008, 02:52 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beanboy429
I've followed the posts on K&N and have concluded that if there is a difference in performance with K&N it comes at a cost of less filtration. This is a test that someone did that shows that K&N doesn't filter as well but does have a greater air flow.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Also if there is a vast difference in performance that you can actually feel, the original filters that were removed must have been really clogged.

Here's an older thread where the posters didn't notice an increase in performance.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ht=air+filters

In this thread the K&N filters showed a .4678 better time in the quarter mile.

The conclusion that I came to is that the K&N filter has greater air flow capacity but doesn't filter as well as the stock filter. This makes perfect sense to me. I would also conclude that the performance would be slightly better but could not be noticed, just perceived. I don't think that the lack of greater filtration in the K&N filters would affect an engine too much over the lifetime of the engine.

For me, I would run the K&N filters when racing and switch back to the stock for everyday. But hey, I don't race, so I guess I'm all set. Good Luck with your conclusions.

Last edited by chuck65; 11-07-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by chuck65
I've followed the posts on K&N and have concluded that if there is a difference in performance with K&N it comes at a cost of less filtration. This is a test that someone did that shows that K&N doesn't filter as well but does have a greater air flow.

Also if there is a vast difference in performance that you can actually feel, the original filters that were removed must have been really clogged.

Here's an older thread where the posters didn't notice an increase in performance.

The conclusion that I came to is that the K&N filter has greater air flow capacity but doesn't filter as well as the stock filter. This makes perfect sense to me. I would also conclude that the performance would be slightly better but could not be noticed, just perceived. I don't think that the lack of greater filtration in the K&N filters would affect an engine too much over the lifetime of the engine.

For me, I would run the K&N filters when racing and switch back to the stock for everyday. But hey, I don't race, so I guess I'm all set. Good Luck with your conclusions.
I've followed Bob the Oil Guy's other studies involving synthetic oils and concluded he must have some kind of tie to Amzoil. I think he either he sells it or works in some capacity for them. I must admit that I do find his comments interesting though. I've used K & N filters on all my cars for years and never experianced any problems. I've put 100,000 miles on my DeLorean over 26 years with a K & N filter and zero problems related to the filter. I've put over 80,000 miles on my Expedition with no problems and my Crossfire has K & N's with no problems. With that said, I can't say I've noticed any noticable increase in power but I have seen as much as a 1 mpg decrease in fuel consumption.

Bruce

Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM

how difficult is it to install the filters in a xfire roadster...im not even sure i know where the stock ones aare.

thnks

Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck65

Great info, much appreciated.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by topdown
how difficult is it to install the filters in a xfire roadster...im not even sure i know where the stock ones aare.

thnks
Take off the engine cover. There are two of them under the cover.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM

thanks, does that mean the two filters are both for the engine or one of them is for the interior cabin?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are in the big silver thing, on the underside, you will need a torx ( # ??)tipped screwdriver to remove the air filter restrainer's from the big silver thing, and you need 2 K & N filters to replace the 2 OEMs
K & N filter # 33-2290
Search should produce a photo or vidio of the instalation

Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

Cabin filter is part # Bosch -c 3870, installing can be found thru search on this forum

Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 AM

thanks, does that mean the two filters are both for the engine or one of them is for the interior cabin?
Both are for the engine. The one for the interior cabin is located under the glove box. Micron filter.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM

what do you need to take off the silver engine cover to get to the filters?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Forum Regular

An engine lift, because you have to remove the engine from the car in order to have enough clearance to remove the air filter housing from the car.

Please do a search.
There is a a whole thread that shows you how to R&R the air filters.

Just a hint, you only need 1, maybe two strong hands to change the air filters.

BC.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Just pull it off. There are brackets that hold it into place.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 AM

so no screws? just pull and replace?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Just pull off the cover start from the back, once the cover is off turn it over the filters are there but you will need a torx bit to remove the covers off of the filters, there are two of them and they are held down with 4 Torx screws each.

Quick Reply: KN Air Filters