Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

i ran out of gas!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i ran out of gas!

i ran out of gas the car started to sputter and the check engine light blinked a couple of times before it just stayed lit. i walked to the gas station bought a tank to hold the gas poured it in and made no difference in the car the car was still sputtering, shaking really bad at idle and no power what so ever. i am now parked with the check engine light on and nothing another thing to mention is that i did put a few more gallons in it of super, the gas that i put in was regular because i didnt have enough money. so now the car still run like crap has anyone ever ran out a gas before? this is my second time i ran out the first time it didnt act like this.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Default Re: i ran out of gas!

With boosted cars you can end up blowing the motor if you're boosting when it runs out of gas. I've never heard of that with an N/A car though. Were you WOT when you ran out or were you just coasting to the gas station?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in the days of the carburetor, you had to pure gas in it to prime it, so I heard. I've never run out of gas. Well once, I got pretty damn close. But, how do you run out of gas...two times?!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM

i new i wasnt going to make it to the gas station but i tried never got passed 2200 rpm nothing like this has happend before maybe cause i put 1 gallon of regular gas and 3 gallons of super it still runs as if it had no gas

Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The filter might have glogged from the sludge that settles at the bottom of the tank. Have you tried revving the engine a little while it's in park to see if it will run smooth. If it still runs like crap you might want to change the filter.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe you need to replace the fuel pump? that eventually happens if you habitually run the car close to empty.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:00 PM

How far did you drive it after adding the gas?

Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a silly question, but did you reseat the gas cap properly ? I 've read somewhere a loose gas cap or defective gas cap will cause a sputter and rough idle. You may also need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and clear any codes. Just a thought.
When my warning light comes on I immediately start hunting a gas station. The regular gas you added should not have any effect as far as making it run rough.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stogey
Maybe a silly question, but did you reseat the gas cap properly ? I 've read somewhere a loose gas cap or defective gas cap will cause a sputter and rough idle. You may also need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and clear any codes. Just a thought.
When my warning light comes on I immediately start hunting a gas station. The regular gas you added should not have any effect as far as making it run rough.
I was thinking the same thing. That's why I asked how far they drove after adding gas because if the cap isn't on right the system might have low pressure.

Last edited by robby363; 11-14-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

I've never run out of gas but once ran out of diesel. The Cummings guy warned me that injected engines that run out of fuel can sometimes have problems with air pockets in the lines when new fuel comes in. Much like a water faucet spurts when the main water is shut and then opened in your house.

I would imagine this may also be true of gasoline engines. If your injector system has air pockets, you will get a rough running engine.

I would suggest avoiding the empty tank condition at all costs. These aren't 9N tractors we are driving.

roadster with a stick

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
CRM

Originally Posted by Stogey
Maybe a silly question, but did you reseat the gas cap properly ? I 've read somewhere a loose gas cap or defective gas cap will cause a sputter and rough idle.
Nah...Bogus. A loose or missing cap will bring on the check engine light, but it will and can not have any affect on the drive ability of the car. The small amount of pressure in the tank is only created as a way for the OBD to check and make sure no hydrocarbons are leaking into the air.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 PM

I ran out of gas today now my 05 is running very poorly. Spitting and sputtering. Did anyone figure out if it was air in the system, or fuel filter. The fuel filter sounds more logical, but where can I find the filter?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by kendsmith
I ran out of gas today now my 05 is running very poorly. Spitting and sputtering. Did anyone figure out if it was air in the system, or fuel filter. The fuel filter sounds more logical, but where can I find the filter?
On the car ,it's beside passengers wheel, under a cover behind the axel. For the filter its self Needswings.com is who I suggest. Use "forum member", at checkout for a 5% discount.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

It is hard for me to fathom how anyone runs out of gas with all the low fuel warnings and gauge accuracies in these cars, or any of today's cars with all the technology. Never happened to me, and I hope it never does. Typically, when the gauge shows near the bottom 3rd of a tank, I start considering filling it back up.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-25-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: i ran out of gas!

From the days of civil defense, I remember my mom telling me that you dont drive below 1/4 tank just in case. It works for me, and a friend borrowed my old car and ran out of gas cause the gauge was not accurate. Preparation is everything, thats another reason to carry! Woody

Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
It is hard for me to fathom how anyone runs out of gas with all the low fuel warnings and gauge accuracies in these cars, or any of today's cars with all the technology. Never happened to me, and I hope it never does. Typically, when the gauge shows near the bottom 3rd of a tank, I start considering filling it back up.
you are brilliant and I appreciate the advice, what you are saying is you don't know. Well let me tell you what to do just in case you ever pull into a has station that is out of gas and the nearest station is 10 miles away.
When your car is running real crappy you shut it off for a couple minutes, then turn the key on and let the fuel pump build pressure, then start the car, the engine will smooth out the check engine light will go out and everything will be fine.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
From the days of civil defense, I remember my mom telling me that you dont drive below 1/4 tank just in case. It works for me, and a friend borrowed my old car and ran out of gas cause the gauge was not accurate. Preparation is everything, thats another reason to carry! Woody
So what you are saying is that if you should by chance run out of gas miles from a pump you would rob someone at gun point? :rolleyes
WTF has guns got to do with this thread?

In Canada we call the CAA.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Its about preparation, Poor planning provides pi ss poor performance.

That's why I enlisted!

Woody

Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
So what you are saying is that if you should by chance run out of gas miles from a pump you would rob someone at gun point? :rolleyes
WTF has guns got to do with this thread?

In Canada we call the CAA.
🤔 Assumptions can be risky, maybe what he meant was carry a gas can, just a thought.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
�� Assumptions can be risky, maybe what he meant was carry a gas can, just a thought.
This isn't a guns situation?
Where have I heard that before?

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-09-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: i ran out of gas!