Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Who would pay $45K for a Loaded Supercharged V8 Crossfire?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Who would pay $45K for a Loaded Supercharged V8 Crossfire?

So something that has been puzzling me for the last few weeks is why hasn't anyone figured out a legitimate V8 conversion for our cars? I mean when you can buy the base model, throw in some new appointments, do a little massaging of the sheet metal and tuck a 5.4L supercharged AMG motor in there, you'd have an SL55 that has much more exquisite styling for half the price. Now, figure that if these were being built more than one off, you could probably bring the price of the vehicle down and still make a few bucks on them. I mean at $17K for a brand new base + figure $15K fro the motor and everything needed to put it in there and not have it a cobbled together nightmare using only MB parts so that it could be worked on in a Mercedes garage if need be, that would leave you with $13K to do whatever funny stuff to the car and make your profit. Now some people might say that you can just go get an SLK350 for that but I think they would now be on totally different playing fields and an 8 cylinder Crossfire would actually really appeal to performance minded people. Sure, there is the SRT6 and I'm definitely not mocking it but I think this would even be better than that. Startech was building a 6.1 V8 and I'm not sure how many they sold but making the Crossfire anything over a $100K car is rediculous and I can see why there was such a little demand for them like that. 500 of these puppies for people the claw and grab at! LOL I'm probably dreaming but then again, maybe I'm not.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Who would pay $45K for a Loaded Supercharged V8 Crossfire?

I'd love to have one but that is out of my price range.
I'll stick with my $17k SRT!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd also have to replace basically all the electronics, as the stock stuff has all the "security" features mating them together.

There would also have to be a reworking of the suspension due to the extra weight up front.

Let's not forget about the trans.

Given all that, and the fact that you're talking about a car that was produced in pretty small numbers, and is out of production......I just don't see it happening.

It would be nice though!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sell one of my other "toys" to finance a V8 swap with MT and beefed up suspension for maybe 22k or so. Had I not got married a couple years back and had full access to MY gargage, I would have attempted it. No space to really work on my projects anymore , and kinda hard to "hide" that kind of money !

Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A V-8 would be Amazing with the six speed!!

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rcompart
I mean at $17K for a brand new base + figure $15K fro the motor and everything needed to put it in there and not have it a cobbled together nightmare using only MB parts so that it could be worked on in a Mercedes garage if need be...
are you new here?

typically no Mercedes dealer will touch our stock cars, let alone one that was "cobbled together."

Last edited by Mr. F; 11-16-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
So something that has been puzzling me for the last few weeks is why hasn't anyone figured out a legitimate V8 conversion for our cars? I mean when you can buy the base model, throw in some new appointments, do a little massaging of the sheet metal and tuck a 5.4L supercharged AMG motor in there, you'd have an SL55 that has much more exquisite styling for half the price. Now, figure that if these were being built more than one off, you could probably bring the price of the vehicle down and still make a few bucks on them. I mean at $17K for a brand new base + figure $15K fro the motor and everything needed to put it in there and not have it a cobbled together nightmare using only MB parts so that it could be worked on in a Mercedes garage if need be, that would leave you with $13K to do whatever funny stuff to the car and make your profit. Now some people might say that you can just go get an SLK350 for that but I think they would now be on totally different playing fields and an 8 cylinder Crossfire would actually really appeal to performance minded people. Sure, there is the SRT6 and I'm definitely not mocking it but I think this would even be better than that. Startech was building a 6.1 V8 and I'm not sure how many they sold but making the Crossfire anything over a $100K car is rediculous and I can see why there was such a little demand for them like that. 500 of these puppies for people the claw and grab at! LOL I'm probably dreaming but then again, maybe I'm not.
I could only imagine how great a V8 Crossfire would be especially an AMG Supercharged V8

But saidly…

Originally Posted by tighed1
I'd love to have one but that is out of my price range.
I'll stick with my $17k SRT!
That’s exactly why no one’s buying/spending big $$$ on V8 Crossfire’s.. SRT’s are dang near close right out of the box and cost less than $20!

Originally Posted by apkano
You'd also have to replace basically all the electronics, as the stock stuff has all the "security" features mating them together.

There would also have to be a reworking of the suspension due to the extra weight up front.

Let's not forget about the trans.

Given all that, and the fact that you're talking about a car that was produced in pretty small numbers, and is out of production......I just don't see it happening.

It would be nice though!
Agreed, I’ve yet to come across anyone among us that has the electronics down… maybe HDDP?? But his is a stripped down track machine from hell

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
A V-8 would be Amazing with the six speed!!
Buy a Mustang/Challenger… it would be cheaper and has 4 seats

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a V8 Crossfire maybe in 20-30yrs when mine kicks the bucket I'll rebuild it up they way I'd like... but for now I have my sights set on '05 '06 Ford GT (not mustang).

However if anyone dose attempt this I wish them the best...it would just be an enormous undertaking but I’m sure the results would be worth it!

Just my 1/2cent

Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a Mustang/Challenger… it would be cheaper and has 4 seats

HA !!! Not a chance ..

Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 AM

Does the Challenger even come in a stick? One of the things that really annoyed me about the Charger was that it was auto-only.

In the latest Top Gear, Richard Hammond tried to do a burnout with his off-the-showroom Dodge Challenger and couldn't do it without a clutch.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Does the Challenger even come in a stick? One of the things that really annoyed me about the Charger was that it was auto-only.
Indeed they do! Both the SRT8 and R/T are available with a 6-speed manual with limited slip (part of the trac pack). It's also my understanding that the traction control will be able to be completely turned off, unlike reports I've read about some earlier cars.

I'm with the others here, I think the expense and effort to put in a V8 would be more than most would want to deal with. Maybe a nice small block chevy, like one of the LS series of engines would work nicely? That would be interesting to see. I saw that someone put a SBC motor from a C5 vette into an e36 M3 a few years ago. That car was crazy!

I think at the end of the day, the average crossfire owner is happy with the available OEM options. Either they like the coupe enough to buy one, or if they want more power they just go with an SRT6. The majority of people haven't gotten creative with the crossfire...yet.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 AM

I don't know where you guys are that the Mercedes dealerships won't touch your cars; Feldmann Imports in Bloomington, MN was ever so eager to work on mine. Even went so far as to diagnose what was wrong when my cars locking system gave up the ghost and didn't even charge me to bring the part in when Bloomington Chrysler couldn't figure out the part number. LOL

As far as being able to turn the traction control all the way off, A guy in my building has a brand new Chalanger SRT8 and guess what, it's pretty much like our cars; You can turn it off but as soon as it get s sideways, all bets are off.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoronos

In the latest Top Gear, Richard Hammond tried to do a burnout with his off-the-showroom Dodge Challenger and couldn't do it without a clutch.
I saw the episode and found it very odd that Hammond couldn't just roast those tires. Seems all the US car magazines had various pictures of an '08 SRT8 emerging from a huge cloud of smoke, and EVERY '08 Challenger was automatic ('09s can be had with a manual box in both SRT8 and R/T trim).

See Jalopnik for a nice burnout pic: http://jalopnik.com/398824/gratuitou...-burnout-photo

Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 AM

Actually there's a forum member attempting just what is being discussed here, although he hasn't been on the site or updated his progress in quite awhile.
LANTANA where are you ? Inquiring minds want to know !

Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stogey
Actually there's a forum member attempting just what is being discussed here, although he hasn't been on the site or updated his progress in quite awhile.
LANTANA where are you ? Inquiring minds want to know !
I followed that thread to the nursing home it's in.... Not much activity anymore. LOL I'm talking from an aspect of a company making more that just one of these. I know it'll never happen but it would be fun to see it.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know somebody who sincerely wants to install a V8 into a Crossfire. Not a necessarily a "Mercedes" V8, but a V8 just the same.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM

[quote=rcompart]I don't know where you guys are that the Mercedes dealerships won't touch your cars; Feldmann Imports in Bloomington, MN was ever so eager to work on mine. Even went so far as to diagnose what was wrong when my cars locking system gave up the ghost and didn't even charge me to bring the part in when Bloomington Chrysler couldn't figure out the part number. LOL

In my case it is Langley / Vancouver BC . And the none of the Mercedes dealerships will even change the oil for you in a Crossfire. I have asked all of them in the grater Vancouver area.

Sub note : Love to have a V8 [and not in a Mustang] but I am not in that financial bracket.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Life is random...so am I.

I guarantee a SRT8 Challenger will do a big 'ol smoky burnout!