Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Mercedes eye-roll. Need opinions

Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes eye-roll. Need opinions

I need a few opinions or thoughts on something. Apparently no one seems to take me seriously when I mention that the Crossfire is a re-skinned SLK. If I so much as mention that there is a Mercedes engine or built on a Mercedes platform I get an eye-roll and people telling me it's not a Mercedes. I'm not calling it a Mercedes. Just simply stating the facts that all us Crossfire owners know.

I also had some people and police officers argue over it and I was telling the truth. These idiots think I'm a liar. Some of my own family members think I'm lying about it being a Mercedes underneath.

A lot of cars share parts. We have Volvos on Ford platforms..etc. But in the case of the Crossfire it's almost an entire SLK that has been re-skinned and it looks better than that version of the SLK I might add. I'm tired of the eye-rolls I get everytime I mention the word Mercedes. I'm sure there's some of this talk on the forums that I've missed, but would like some thoughts.

I even made up a comparison image and printed and people still insist they are right and I am wrong or they go silent with embarrasement after having been proven wrong.

People generally tell me that it doesn't matter what's under the hood. If it has a Chrysler emblem than it's a Chrysler. I never said it wasn't. Just stated that it's built on a Mercedes, but that is the argument I get and that it has nothing to do with Mercedes if it has a Chrysler emblem on it.
By their own argument I could buy a Lambo fiberglass kit-car and put a Lambo emblem on it and it would automatically be a Lambo. If their argument where valid.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Mercedes eye-roll. Need opinions

Mine feels like a Chrysler to me.
Must be the badges.
Oh, and the price I paid makes it feel like a Chrysler also.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM

I don't think you should be so concerned with what others think.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 AM

...or you could get the "Powered by Mercedes-Benz" stickers that Chrysler sells and put them somewhere on your car or under the hood.

Very official!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tighed1
Mine feels like a Chrysler to me.
Must be the badges.
Oh, and the price I paid makes it feel like a Chrysler also.
I guess you didn't purchase in it's introduction year than?? LOL

Originally Posted by meshcraft
I need a few opinions or thoughts on something. Apparently no one seems to take me seriously when I mention that the Crossfire is a re-skinned SLK. If I so much as mention that there is a Mercedes engine or built on a Mercedes platform I get an eye-roll and people telling me it's not a Mercedes. I'm not calling it a Mercedes. Just simply stating the facts that all us Crossfire owners know.

I also had some people and police officers argue over it and I was telling the truth. These idiots think I'm a liar. Some of my own family members think I'm lying about it being a Mercedes underneath.

A lot of cars share parts. We have Volvos on Ford platforms..etc. But in the case of the Crossfire it's almost an entire SLK that has been re-skinned and it looks better than that version of the SLK I might add. I'm tired of the eye-rolls I get everytime I mention the word Mercedes. I'm sure there's some of this talk on the forums that I've missed, but would like some thoughts.

I even made up a comparison image and printed and people still insist they are right and I am wrong or they go silent with embarrasement after having been proven wrong.

People generally tell me that it doesn't matter what's under the hood. If it has a Chrysler emblem than it's a Chrysler. I never said it wasn't. Just stated that it's built on a Mercedes, but that is the argument I get and that it has nothing to do with Mercedes if it has a Chrysler emblem on it.
By their own argument I could buy a Lambo fiberglass kit-car and put a Lambo emblem on it and it would automatically be a Lambo. If their argument where valid.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Just open the hood. On many if not most parts you'll find the MB logo, that should shut them up quite quick.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

If there is any question I just pop the hood on our C240...it looks the same as the Crossfire except it has the MB engine cover that everyone switches out on the Crossfire. I've tried to "accidentally" remove it and put it on my car but my wife always catches me.
I am proud its a Chrysler, probably the best Chrylser that was ever made, surely the coolest looking!
Pat

Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Show them the window sticker. 80% German parts content, built in Germany, on the exact same assembly line as many other Mercedes vehicles. Same control arms as an SL model, the same 3.2L enging used in MANY Mercedes vehicles, Slaptick Auto that is far superior to "Chrysler's" version. In fact, the auto used in the SRT-6 is extremely similar to the one used in the SLR Mclaren. The list goes on.

If you want to **** them off, tell them their Jaguar is 50% Ford. The Saab is a re-badged Saturn/Opel, effectively. 2006-2007 Lamborghini Murcielago used the same HVAC controls of a VW GTI, thanks to the VAG merge a few years back. The Infiniti FX-45 uses 80% parts content from a "lowly" 350Z. No matter WHAT pedigree these people are driving, chances are the "unseen parts" are sourced from MUCH cheaper autos. Ask me how I know.

Regardlless of the badge, I would dare say the quality of this car far surpasses anything that the antagonists are driving. Smile, accept their disdain, and have peace knowing that your car will turn more heads than theirs.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to just stop worrying about it and just enjoy your Crossfire. Working too hard to prove to people that it's actually a Mercedes under the skin may it appear, to them at least, that you're desperate to prove you have something "better" than what you actually have.

Besides, I try not to let stupid people bother me. They can't help that they're stupid.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

One of the greatest "minds" of our time has stated............"you can't fix stupid!"
Pat

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
You need to just stop worrying about it and just enjoy your Crossfire. Working too hard to prove to people that it's actually a Mercedes under the skin may it appear, to them at least, that you're desperate to prove you have something "better" than what you actually have.

Besides, I try not to let stupid people bother me. They can't help that they're stupid.
You got it right mike.

I tell the doubters it's got the best of MB and a cool sexy skin. All for a fraction of the high status car.

If an MB owner sneers, I tell 'em only fools pay more money for a label. Besides, the 320 SLK is..."AN OLD MAN'S CAR! THE CROSSFIRE IS SEXY!" That's an official judgement from my Production manager. And she is a hip owner of a half dozen custom street rods.

My other "expert" reviewer says "A Crossfire the coolest there is." My grandaughter is a teenager and THEY KNOW EVERYTHING.

Roadster with a stick

Meshcraft, Just for grinns. Next time someone doubts it is a MB, tell them to prove you wrong!

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 12-03-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

It is a Chrysler and if 100% of the parts came from Mercedes, it would still be a Chrysler. If Chrysler had put Mercedes name plates on it the majority of people would say that it was a Chrysler. If they had sold this car at a Mercedes dealership with Chrysler name plates on it, you might have a better chance of saying its a Mercedes and having people believe you, but not much. It is basically a lose /lose scenario.

I learnt a lesson many years ago when I told a friend from England that I wanted a Jaguar, he said why would I want a Jag when I already had a great car. He was referring to my new 1973 Mustang Grande. What he thought was an ideal car was totally opposite to mine. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Another friend said I could swap my Mustang for a year old Aston Martin in England, and showed me the cost of both in the ads in a UK auto magazine, the prices were about the same.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It is a Chrysler and if 100% of the parts came from Mercedes, it would still be a Chrysler. If Chrysler had put Mercedes name plates on it the majority of people would say that it was a Chrysler. If they had sold this car at a Mercedes dealership with Chrysler name plates on it, you might have a better chance of saying its a Mercedes and having people believe you, but not much. It is basically a lose /lose scenario.

I learnt a lesson many years ago when I told a friend from England that I wanted a Jaguar, he said why would I want a Jag when I already had a great car. He was referring to my new 1973 Mustang Grande. What he thought was an ideal car was totally opposite to mine. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Another friend said I could swap my Mustang for a year old Aston Martin in England, and showed me the cost of both in the ads in a UK auto magazine, the prices were about the same.
Not to pick a fight but, "A rose by any other name is still...a rose" Shakespeare I believe.

roadster with a stick

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course it is mostly a Mercedes being that the entire drivetrain and brakes are German. But having the badges and the price being Chrysler, that's all people will see in their eyes. When people don't believe me, I just pop open the hood and show him the named German parts. Especially my engine badge for all to see!

Last edited by Mimi05SRT6; 12-03-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Forum Regular

I bought a beautiful German-built Chrysler with all the niggles and problems of a low-end Mercedes and Karmann coach built car, but it's still a Chrysler to me. I've had more problems with this top-notch 'Benz' than many Chrysler's I've driven, but I still love it, and if I'm tryin to impress with snob appeal I'll show a Mercedes star or two.

Last edited by No Warning Shot; 12-03-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks!

When I mention it has Mercedes parts people think I'm pretending it's a Mercedes when that's not the case.
In a sense it is a Mercedes depending on how you look at it, but I never claim it to be that. It's better in fact because it has a much nicer looking body/look.

I love it. Just wish I'd stop getting the eye rolls. People ask and I answer and then they don't believe me.
They think I'm nuts. (shrug)

I will ask them to prove me wrong next time.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Those who know what a Crossfire is, know it is a re-skinned SLK320. Or you could just show them the part numbers on the hoses or the air filters. Or ignore them...who cares what they think.

My oldest daughter (22 and an expert on everything) calls me a Mercedes-wanna-be. Heck, I looked at the SLKs and found them over-priced and butt ugly, especially with that hideous nose.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Meshcraft...don't even bring it up...people want to know all the time what mine is...I tell them its a little 6 cylinder 2 seater, wanna' go for a ride????

Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM

humour often marks the best response

I usually say its a Chrycedes

Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankly, it's too bad that some appear to have bought the Crossfire because it's link to MB. I could have bought an MB but I didn't. I assume many are also in the same boat. I bought this for two reasons: the main reason is the look. It's one of the most classic sports car design I have seen in the past 1/2 a century. That makes it unusual and cool. The second reason is the apparent and usually high reliability rating. MBs are typically not very reliable. In fact, they are notorious for electrical problems. I almost bought an Audi TT for it's classic and cool lines. But the reliability of that vehicle is about as good as a Yugo. The fact that this car is discontinued means it will stay "unusual" forever. I like that. Of course, the inevitable problem is that service for the Crossfire will always be a challenge... but that's why I bought a car with high reliability ratings.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Step #1, open hood.
Step #2, stick their head in the engine bay.
Step #3, close hood, HARD!

Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Mercedes eye-roll. Need opinions