Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Install 6 spd manual transmission into SRT6

Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install 6 spd manual transmission into SRT6

I have a 2004 Crossfire with 6 spd manual transmission and a 2005 Crossfire SRT6. What I want to do is install the manual transmission in my SRT6. Has anyone done this? I'm an aircraft mechanic so I can to do the job. I just need to know if there will be any obstacles I will some across.

Last edited by Hurricane; 01-20-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Install 6 spd manual transmission into SRT6

Ask HDDP, he's the only one who has allegedly done it.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks! I'm new here, who is HDDP?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

He is a forum member that races his Crossfire. He mated an SRT6 engine to a 6-speed. It was pretty involved and required the use of a Motec computer and those things are very pricey. I think the problem with these cars is all the computers are tied together so closely that if it sees something that doesn't look right, it just won't work to make sure something bad doesn't happen and our ECU's are locked down like a safe so messing with them so they think they are supposed to be attached to a manual would pretty much be left to MB. Maybe LET or VRP can get into them that much but searching MB world hasn't produced any promising results.

All that said, GO FOR IT!!! I'd love to see a streetable SRT6 with a manual!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Life is random...so am I.

The auto trans is electronically tied into the PCM, just part of the Mercedes security system. You will need to overcome this, as well as the mechanical tie-in.

HDDP put a SRT6 engine into a 6-speed car. I think you will have the same problems that he did.

You might want to send him a PM or e-mail. Here's a link to his profile page....

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/members/hddp.html

Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
The auto trans is electronically tied into the PCM, just part of the Mercedes security system. You will need to overcome this, as well as the mechanical tie-in.

HDDP put a SRT6 engine into a 6-speed car. I think you will have the same problems that he did.

You might want to send him a PM or e-mail. Here's a link to his profile page....

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/members/hddp.html
Whether you put the 6-speed manual in an SRT6 or an SRT6 engine in a base or limited with a manual, your key, the security control module, ECU and PCM will be the problems that keeps you from getting it done. That is one of the reasons HDDP ended up using a stand alone engine computer. The key sends it's unique, VIN specific code to the SCM(security control module), the SCM verifies the code against the ECU and the PCM by query. If the ECU or PCM don't send back the correct code to the security control module, it doesn't send the all clear and the engine will not fire.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by rcompart
Whether you put the 6-speed manual in an SRT6 or an SRT6 engine in a base or limited with a manual, your key, the security control module, ECU and PCM will be the problems that keeps you from getting it done. That is one of the reasons HDDP ended up using a stand alone engine computer. The key sends it's unique, VIN specific code to the SCM(security control module), the SCM verifies the code against the ECU and the PCM by query. If the ECU or PCM don't send back the correct code to the security control module, it doesn't send the all clear and the engine will not fire.
In reviewing my earlier post.....I don't see where I said anything to contradict that.

Thanks for clarifying that which needed no clarification.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by apkano
In reviewing my earlier post.....I don't see where I said anything to contradict that.

Thanks for clarifying that which needed no clarification.
My apologies for it being taken that way. I quoted your post to emphasize what you said and add how the above comes into consideration for causing the problems it does, not to correct or clarify your post.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
So getting back on track...
If you try this I think that you will end up with two Crossfires that don't run anymore.
Forget about it!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
If you try this I think that you will end up with two Crossfires that don't run anymore.
Forget about it!

Come on Tighed give the kid a chance lol

Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Forget about it!
Isn't that supposed to be, "fuggedaboudit"?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Come on Tighed give the kid a chance lol
Well it could mean two more parts cars out there.
Yeah, go ahead and do it!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM

If you really want to go about doing this, forget swapping the transmissions between cars and find a manual from a parts yard or eBay. You'll still have one car to drive around while doing the swap and instead of trying to get two cars to work, you can focus on getting the SRT6 going strong with an aftermarket engine ECU. I'd love to see you get this working and wait patiently while you write up the procedure and parts required. Feel free to bounce any questions off me. Good luck and you have my two thumbs up!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I'm an aircraft mechanic so I can to do the job.
yeah, well, my old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools...

The following users liked this post:
Esinclair (12-05-2023)
Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

+1 to this. although, if you really wanted to do it i'd look at HDDP's thread as has been said.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-28-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

if a six speed were meant to be an SRT option, then it would have been offered. The MB guys must have had good reason not to match the 6 sp to the SC'd engine. If your coulda woulda thing is important, go for it, but you better have deep pockets and an engineering background.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_omeara07
+1 to this. although, if you really wanted to do it i'd look at HDDP's thread as has been said.
When you take on such a big change to a car like that then you typically will throw reliability out the window.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm a big AMG fanatic, and have read many, many articles on them. AMG reps have stated (unless misquoted) that on their SL55, E55 and other 3.2L SC & 5.4L models, that they opt for the 5-speed auto because it is the strongest of their transmissions, and there is too much risk of clutch burn-out and other maintenance issues associated with having a manual in their setups.
It was also said (though hard to believe) that mercedes buyer-data shows greater demand for the auto-stick than for a manual transmission!
also from what i have read, it is reported that the same durable technology in the SLR mclaren auto is bred into even our little 3.2L AMG kompressors in our car!

it is likely our transmissions can handle much punishment and heat! (i hope!)

they do now offer a 7-speed auto which is supposed to be as-bulletproof if not more-bulletproof than before!

i have driven the 7-speed auto, and personally, i think it's still pretty cool!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j-fire
i'm a big AMG fanatic, and have read many, many articles on them. AMG reps have stated (unless misquoted) that on their SL55, E55 and other 3.2L SC & 5.4L models, that they opt for the 5-speed auto because it is the strongest of their transmissions, and there is too much risk of clutch burn-out and other maintenance issues associated with having a manual in their setups.
It was also said (though hard to believe) that mercedes buyer-data shows greater demand for the auto-stick than for a manual transmission!
also from what i have read, it is reported that the same durable technology in the SLR mclaren auto is bred into even our little 3.2L AMG kompressors in our car!

it is likely our transmissions can handle much punishment and heat! (i hope!)

they do now offer a 7-speed auto which is supposed to be as-bulletproof if not more-bulletproof than before!

i have driven the 7-speed auto, and personally, i think it's still pretty cool!
bullet proof and fun are two different things. They just don't want to pay for warranty work on some bozo's car who roasted a $1000 clutch. If the SRT had paddle shifters (that didn't spin with the wheel) I would have went with one of those.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I have a 2004 Crossfire with 6 spd manual transmission and a 2005 Crossfire SRT6. What I want to do is install the manual transmission in my SRT6. Has anyone done this? I'm an aircraft mechanic so I can to do the job. I just need to know if there will be any obstacles I will some across.
Hey Hurricane. I can sure understand why you would want to do that but it might be a lot easier to hot rod the autostick and put on paddle shifters. The drag racers on this forum know a whole lot more than I do. I think I remember reading something on this forum about tuning the transmission control unit. I think paddle shifters would be pretty easy if you like them (I'm an F1 fan) I also wonder why Daimler Chrysler never put a manuel in the SRT6. Could there be a mechanical reason? Do a search for transmission and every word associated with them and I think you'll do better than this post alone.

Quick Reply: Install 6 spd manual transmission into SRT6