Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Need some advice from Xfire owners!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from Xfire owners!

Hi guys,

After much contemplation I've decided on sellling my s2000 and going forward with an 04 white xfire limited coupe. Its got 25k on it and I will be seeing the car soon. I was wondering if there are any specific things I should be looking for prior to purchasing the vehicle. From what I've read so far...rusty door seals and foggy headlights. My list seems to short. Please let me know if there are any other things to keep an eye out on. Also I was wondering if anyone knows a qualified crossfire mechanic that can run a check-up on the vehicle in the Stockton,CA area. I've tried searching, either I suck or the search engine on this site does haha. Thanks for your time guys!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Need some advice from Xfire owners!

I've got an 07 & an 08.....on the 07 the windshield washer bottle must have a crack or something...when you fill it up it leaks till the fluid gets below a certain point. On the 08 the automatic locking fuel filler door is misaligned (doesn't stay closed enough) and when the auto-lock pin mechanism closes....it misses the hole & the door pops out a bit. Am using velcro temporarily to make it align up till I get it in for warranty work.

Both cars still under bumper to bumper.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
I've got an 07 & an 08.....on the 07 the windshield washer bottle must have a crack or something...when you fill it up it leaks till the fluid gets below a certain point. On the 08 the automatic locking fuel filler door is misaligned (doesn't stay closed enough) and when the auto-lock pin mechanism closes....it misses the hole & the door pops out a bit. Am using velcro temporarily to make it align up till I get it in for warranty work.

Both cars still under bumper to bumper.

The cars are designed to leak windshield fluid when it's full..

Leak may be the wrong word.. drain may be better? AKA It doesn't fill up to the top, it just empties.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Forum Regular

I also experienced the washer leak? It occurs when you overfill. It drains near the front of the passenger side door. It is difficult to see where the level for the full line is.

Check for transmission leak on the automatic? It is a very easy fix but I would suggest a dealer service it due to the seal on the transmission.

Perhaps some of the people with older models have some more things to look for besides the obvious -- brakes, tires, etc.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Problem - creates this stupid smile on your face that is extremely hard to remove!
Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Dont try turning off the skid control then spin the tires around a corner it will kick in anyway and send you straight into the curb!!!!!!
ARRGGHHHHH

Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Forum Regular

You seem to have the major problems with the rust covered. Do a car fax on the car, and search the vin # at a Chrysler dealer to see whats been done with the car.

Other than that.....Enjoy the car!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM

My 007 also has the washer overfill drain/fill issue. It was a bit unsettling the first time I refilled it, but I assumed it was an overfill drain. Wouldn't an open reservoir allow the alcohol in the fluid evaporate? Admittedly a narrow drain opening and low winter temperatures impede evaporation, but....

Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM

You are probably aware that you may go thru tires sort of frequently and that oil changes are a little more expensive but not bad if you DIY. I have had my SSB 07 Limited Coupe manual trans. for a year and love it. Xfires are by far one of the best dollar values available in a two seat sports car at this time. IMO the white looks great on a coupe. I recently sold a 350Z roadster which seemed quicker than my Xfire which may be the case coming from an S2000 so if you have a need for speed you may want to drive an SRT6 Xfire before deciding. As far as a mechanical inspection it may be easier to find a Mercedes mechanic since these cars are SLK 320's under the sheet metal. The OEM stereo head units pretty much suck. I have gone thru 3 under warranty and will change for an aftermarket one soon. No other problems. As with any used car purchase, the mechanical inspection and Carfax check are your best friends as well as this great forum. Good luck with your search and please let us know how it ends up.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service manual says that the washer bottle will hold 1 gallon when the low washer fluid light comes on without it running out the overflow tube. It won't hurt anything, just runs out on the ground.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to hear the washer fluid leak is not really a leak.......I feel better now.