Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

deadening car to reduce road noise

Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: deadening car to reduce road noise

if you really want to take care of the issue then use around 20-30 sq ft of regular damplifier around the trunk and add luxury liner pro which is a heavy closed cell foam with vinyl backing to cut down on noise

here is the description of it,

Luxury Liner Pro is our best noise barrier. It consists of a heavy vinly barrier, bonded to a closed cell acoustic foam. Apply a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on top of a vibration damper to filter out, and reflect airborne sound waves away from the car. If your goal is tomb-like silence, Luxury Liner Pro is a must.

the deadener reduces vibration and the foam reduces sound waves and noise.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by faiz23
if you really want to take care of the issue then use around 20-30 sq ft of regular damplifier around the trunk and add luxury liner pro which is a heavy closed cell foam with vinyl backing to cut down on noise

Luxury Liner Pro is our best noise barrier. It consists of a heavy vinly barrier, bonded to a closed cell acoustic foam. Apply a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on top of a vibration damper to filter out, and reflect airborne sound waves away from the car. If your goal is tomb-like silence, Luxury Liner Pro is a must.

I have a full dual race exhaust, it is just loud, stopping buy the race shop monday to look into high flow resonators. If I filled the hole hatch with luxury liner it would probably still be too loud

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
I have a full dual race exhaust, it is just loud, stopping buy the race shop monday to look into high flow resonators. If I filled the hole hatch with luxury liner it would probably still be too loud
not to encouraging so far.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular

Do you know how much might be needed and the cost. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Forum Regular

here is some pics of my system coming together still not done but wanted to give an idea this is one of the reason why i did the deadening

Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glockhit
Do you know how much might be needed and the cost. Thanks.

check out the prices on

www.secondskinaudio.com

i would say pick up as much as you can afford you can never have to much deadner, once you start with the trunk you will do the floors, then the doors, then the firewall, then the back of the seats where the stock subs are.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bulldogger

i think you will be amazed how much quieter it can get but be ready to drop some cake

you will need to spray the underbody with spectrum or use spectrum sludge,

than add the damplifier pro and maybe even a second layer, than spray some spectrum down and use two layers of luxury liner pro. that should take care of it and if you do hear a little bit of exhaust well that is the point you want to be able to hear some of the engine and exhaust noise but not every single drone, or rasp.

keep in mind do not only focus around the muffler, cover the whole area since noise will come up from the weakest spot.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

check out the prices on

www.secondskinaudio.com

i would say pick up as much as you can afford you can never have to much deadner, once you start with the trunk you will do the floors, then the doors, then the firewall, then the back of the seats where the stock subs are.
Thanks. I am going to order enough for the trunk. I'm not running any subs or amps. It's the magnaflow at lower speeds.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

while you are in there do the wheel wells since that pick up road noise and add luxury liner on top of the mat for the wheel wells, do the firewall in luxury liner on the cabin side not the engine side.

pick up extra if you need and if you have scraps i will buy them off you or other members on here you can never have to much deadener

Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound deadener showdown web page is a great resource.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I was thinking of doing this before I install my new muffler. Any tips or suggestions on removing door, rear inside body panels, carpet, etc. Have never tried this before and do not want to start snapping off expensive German parts. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by H82BL8
The sound deadener showdown web page is a great resource.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I was thinking of doing this before I install my new muffler. Any tips or suggestions on removing door, rear inside body panels, carpet, etc. Have never tried this before and do not want to start snapping off expensive German parts. Any help would be appreciated.
on the rear the floor comes out pretty easily the styrofoam where the stock tire goodies are just pull up.

you will have access to the exhaust and differential right away.

you can pull the clips around the wheel wells and the top of the platic and the carpet comes out pretty easily.

the doors i did not do but there is a good guide somewhere on the forum search that.

pay attention to the silver trim around the door handle and airbag is not to big of a deal since it is secured to the car not the door panel that you remove.

firewall area the carpet just pulls back

overall the car is pretty modular how it comes apart and goes back together and should not take much force to remove the panels.

have all your torx drivers on hand and have E-Torx (External Torx) drivers on hand for the seats ($5.99 at harbor freight)

Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the tips.
The door removal pdf is here:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ound+deadening

Man you can drop some serious coin getting this right - hope its worth it! Looks like this process really takes some time investment. I'll probably have to do it in stages.

Have you tried the Spectrum Sludge yet? An inside and outside application looks like the ultimate deal. Just wondering how well it holds up to snow and muffler heat. Last thing you need is product failure a couple years down the road. (does it dry purple, that would not be a good look for the wheel wells, yuck)

Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Thanks for the tips.
The door removal pdf is here:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ound+deadening

Man you can drop some serious coin getting this right - hope its worth it! Looks like this process really takes some time investment. I'll probably have to do it in stages.

Have you tried the Spectrum Sludge yet? An inside and outside application looks like the ultimate deal. Just wondering how well it holds up to snow and muffler heat. Last thing you need is product failure a couple years down the road. (does it dry purple, that would not be a good look for the wheel wells, yuck)
yeah i think the spectrum sludge dries a purple color. i think the spectrum spray is black and you can build up coats. what i am worried about is the dry time before you can drive around i know it takes 30 days to fully cure and 2 days before you put on upholestry.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Forum Regular

also damper x is half price not as good quality but i bet it is 75% quality of spectrum at 50 % of price.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM

dynamat extreme is good stuff but they rape you for price,

do your research and

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/

Dyna mat extreme bulk pack $140 for 36 sq ft $3.88 per ft
Published Thickness (mils) 67
Published Foil Thickness (mils) 4

Raamat 60sqft for $130 $2.16 per ft
Published Thickness (mils) 60
Published Foil Thickness (mils) 2

damplifier 40sq ft for $115 $2.87 per ft
Published Thickness (mils) 65
Published Foil Thickness (mils) 3

damplifier pro 20sq ft $105 $5.25

Published Thickness (mils) 80
Published Foil Thickness (mils) 4

you can get damplifier which is better product for less.

now keep in mind there is a difference between how thick it is and how much weight it is. you want to mass load and add weight. raamat is cheaper but has 25% more airbubbles so less weight but thicker due to added air.

ALWAYS BUY BUTYL BASED NOT ASPHALT

I picked-up the 20 square foot at circuit city going out of business sale for $40.00. Still have not installed it yet.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
I picked-up the 20 square foot at circuit city going out of business sale for $40.00. Still have not installed it yet.

that sounds like a very fair deal on some deadener. I would have picked up as much as they had for being local. RAAM Mat is like 2 bucks a sq ft but online and shipping involved

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM

How bout this stuff on ebay - 70 mils thick butyl, 50 sq ft for $90 plus $20 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-New-Butyl-Sou...3A1%7C294%3A50

They have a 100 sq ft roll for $180 plus $40 shipping

Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular

that does not look like bad stuff at all and a fair price for it and would be interested to try it out. i sent a msg to the seller so we will see. all butyl so that is good, i asked about the weight per sq ft

Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 AM

on the rear the floor comes out pretty easily the styrofoam where the stock tire goodies are just pull up.

you will have access to the exhaust and differential
Ok, so you are saying that the styrofoam just pulls out without taking any panels off?! To me it seems like I have to take the back plastic panel off (where the latch is) because the styrofoam is under there. ?? Bad thing is, I can't get that panel off! Am I just not pulling up hard enough? I don't want to break it. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM

Ok, I did manage to get that back panel off and the styrofoam came right out. So I installed some of my dynamat extreme today. Took quite some time! I only installed the floor of the trunk and it took me a few hours total. I was surpised, but you really gotta work that stuff into all the bends and contours of the metal. I didn't have the roller tool, just used a glove and a little elbow grease. lol. I only used 3 sheets out of 9 so far in the bulk pack so that wasn't too bad. After the trunk floor what would you guys recommend me doing? Should I go ahead and do the back panel? Or where the gas tank is? Both? Or should I focus on the rear wheel wells? I am going to use all of what I have. It weighed in at 22.4 pounds which I thought wasn't too bad considering the resonator probably weighed that much.

BTW - I BETTER be able to tell a difference with this shyt in there!! If I don't, I am going to be mighty pissed!! Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: deadening car to reduce road noise