Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Driving through a carwash

Old 07-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving through a carwash

Has anyone driven their Crossfire through a carwash yet?

I'm considering buying one, but I'm concerned that the big tires and/or low ground clearance won't allow it to go through a carwash.

Thanks your your input.

:?: 8)

Old 07-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

:shock: Oh NOOOOO :shock: Please don't tell me you just said CAR WASH--certainly you meant hand wash.

I have heard of way too many problems with the auto washes--even "brushless". If at all possible hand wash and dry your car. Of course there are going to be people that cannot (live in apt, etc...) but that is my .02 to NEVER go to a car wash. They recycle their water, their rags are not clean and therefore will ScRaTcH your cars paint, and let's face it--they could care less about your car.

You will probably catch some slack for this--but we are here only to help

Old 07-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from the carwash.I would pay to have it hand washed if you can't do it yourself.I sometimes take my truck through the automatic brushless car wash at work and have been noticing alot of light scratches.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:32 PM
imported_mightyjlr

When I was in Florida, almost every gas station I went to had these car washes where you drive in, and nothing ever touches your car. I think they are called "touchless" . Your car gets high pressure washed and then air dried by a big blower. Nothing ever touches the car and it seemed to work decently. I haven't seen any of these in NJ. Those are the only car washes I would take my care to if I had too. For my Crossfire, I doubt it will ever see any car wash, actually I guarantee it.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:P Hand wash only "PLEASE"!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2003, 06:01 PM

we've heard of someone that has
don't make the same mistake

Old 07-30-2003, 10:03 PM

The CrossFire is going to be my daily driver, and I've already gone through owning a Corvette and only doing hand washes. This sure can become a hassle after a while.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular

It's the price you pay for owning an Xfire :lol:

Seriously, the call is yours, but just be aware that you could damage your rims and paint. If you're fine with that, then go for it--I'm too **** about the condition of my Crossfire. But, to each his/her own, so if you it works for you, then do it.

My Xfire is my everyday car also, but I think washing it once a week is not a bad thing. Of course I work out of my home office and it's in the garage all day. And when I'm traveling I have someone take me to the airport--NO Xfire is going to sit at the airport parking.

Old 08-01-2003, 03:53 PM

I've run my 99 platinum 300M thru only touchless washes for 5 years now, and the paint still look pristine. No damage at all. I would never go thru those brush type or the ones where they have people rubbing it off when it come thru, but if you do use the touchless always try to clean up the nooks and crannies where the high pressure water gets blown into. And if you don't Zaino, hit the spray on wax cycle about ever 3 months. My preference is to do it by hand cause even with the high pressure washes the car is still not as clean as I can do it with some warm water, a soft sponge, and a little Dove dishwashing fluid.

Old 08-02-2003, 01:07 PM

I checked with two local car washes today, everyone warns you about clearance of rims. Before you drive into one, you'd better check first, it sounds like you'll be sorry if you don't.