Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Is this a good deal - Dealer offer to sell at MSRP

Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal - Dealer offer to sell at MSRP

I have a final decision to make - to buy a crossfire or lease a BMW 330 sedan..... BMW has attractive lease rates on their 2003 models. No incentives that I'm aware from Chrylser on the Crossfire. Dealer on the Crossfire will sell at MSRP, $35,000 and some change. Is this a good deal or should I press my luch and offer less. It's the right color and everything. Should I buy the Crossfire or the BMW. The BMW has a more establised resale/residual value.... what about the Crossfire.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2003, 08:49 PM
kusheen
Default crossfire pricing

Bought mine today. Black w/6 speed. Visited two dealers in the Baltimore area.

Both were charging extra when the cars first came out, as much as $5K extra...one claimed to have sold it's first car for $50K.

Both dealers have told me they're selling very slowly, and not sure why. One dealer had 3 on the floor, 4 more in the back getting prepped, NONE had buyers waiting. The other had 5 in house. Maybe the car can't decide if it's a sports car or a luxury coupe, and if it doesn't know, the customers don't know what to make of it.

Anyway, wound up both dealers were willing to take $500 LESS than MSRP. I didn't trade, and put about 70% down.

I'm a big Lotus fan. Have owned 3 Europas and a Turbo Esprit. I have a down payment and order for a Lotus Elise, due to come in late next year. The Elise and the Crossfire are very, very different cars. But I like the Crossfire, and in thinking about the Lotus the Lotus is as much mystique as reality. Yes, the Elise handles like no other car...but I don't autocross anymore, and the Crossfire is just fine, thank you.

The question is, what do you want? The BMW or the Crossfire? If you really want a Crossfire, you can get one now for MSRP or a little less, and my guess is that if they're not selling a few months from now, you can get one cheaper.

I hope they don't come and go as fast as the Allante...

Old 08-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular

Yes BMW has incentives--the body style is changing in 04 and they have to get rid of the 03 body style. I'd say the old BMW style is boring--no comparason to the Crossfire. BMW's are literally a dime a dozen (especially the 330). But it depends if you are just concerned about lease rates and want something usual--go for the BMW. If you want a limited production, fun, head turning, great car then I'd go with the Crossfire.

catch36:

Your dealer had 7 on the lot?? That is the most I've heard from anyone. I think as far as them "not selling" it might be due to dealer greed early on, lack of PR by Chrysler to REALLY define the market segment and the competition and having more HP under the hood (vs the competition). I got a great deal just over invoice about 2 months ago, so I'm happy with the long term price issue. If your dealers really have that many on the lot, then people should be buying at MSRP. However, everyone who wants/purchased one probably did not buy for fear of resale (or lack of) but rather to have a great car and certainly one of the most unique cars on the road--I know that is why I bought! The Crossfire is FAR from another Avante.

Enjoy your Xfire and post pics so we can all see it!

Old 08-16-2003, 03:18 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Yea, MSRP is a good deal for what is the best looking sub 100K car on the market today. Kusheen, the funny thing is that in a year from now, I might have picked the Lotue Elise. I will admit though, that the BMW is probably a better value. I saw a 525 I think it was in the newspaper for like 3k down and a $399 a month lease for 30 months. Much better lease rates then the Crossfire. By the way, the residual for the Crossfire is around 59%.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:34 PM
kusheen
Default yup

Yup, the first dealer I went to yesterday definitely had 7, might have been 8. The dealership is owned by a father/son. Each is driving one (on an auto, the other a stick) that they use for demos. Plus a fresh graphite on the floor for show. Then they took me around back and there were at least 4 more, possibly five, still bundled up in their plastic. I know there were 2 whites, what they called a butane blue, and a black auto.

The other dealer I went to yesterday, where I bought mine, had the black stick I bought, a red auto, a graphite auto, a silver, and a butane blue (that was their term) stick that I test drove first.

They said they had only sold two (prior to mine), and they'd been doing MSRP from the first week when they realized noboby was biting at the $5K, then $2K premium they were looking for.

The first dealer also said they were having trouble moving them. LOTS of lookers, no buyers.

Could be that the kind, but not enthusiastic reviews are making people rethink. The articles I've read at the same time laud the Mercedes running gear as sound, but underpowered and already outdated (the SLK is dropping the engine next year). They all like the look of the interior, but can't believe Chysler would really use painted plastic in a car in this class.

Most point out it's significantly slower than the (less expensive) 350Z, RX8 (although the local dealer is putting $5k on the RX8's, and getting it), Audi TT Coupe, and the Honda S2000.

On the up side, all agree that it handles well (but don't like the recirculating ball), pulls great g's, has the stiffest frame in the class, and feels like it's carved out of one piece of billet.

The overall consensus of the reviews I've read is that it's a great sports car for a Chrysler, but given it's competition it's merely a good sporty luxo coupe compared to them. But...one of the articles also lamented that the car has rear drum brakes, unforgiveable. Mmmm...wonder what Crossfire HE was looking at, mine's got discs all 'round.

So w/mediocre reviews why'd I buy it? 'Cause I wanted it. Goes fast enough for me, is comfortable, handles well, looks ok. I see 5 Z's a day. Don't see many of these.

Old 08-16-2003, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the input but the winner is:

SSB Crossfire 5sp auto. Bought if for MSRP $35,570 or there abouts. It's the look of the car that got me....still have my Jeep V8 Grand Cherokee for the more mundane everyday driving.... it's being detailed and lojack installed..

Vroom..............

Old 08-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

catch:

Way to GO :lol: :lol: !! What color did you get?? What are your initial thoughts of the Crossfire?? How do you like the attention??

Post pics when you can

Old 08-18-2003, 10:28 AM

Butane Blue. I didn't know there was a blue one..

As far as flying off the show room floor: The market for this car is hard to define. I know my friends like it, but rather have an actual mercedes. I tell them it is under the hood, but still they mock. Others can't see themselves paying that much for a Chrysler. Then you have those who can't afford it in this economy. The car will be bought by a select few. I feel that it should be made to order kinda like the G35 coupe. I don't see many of those around here. When I do it is the same people. Same goes for the 350Z. Chrysler ships them as they need to. That is okay. I don't mind, but if they want sell they need to define their market better. I have a feeling some are waiting for the convertible :-)

PT Cruiser sold because it was a remake of a beloved and timeless vehicle.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:35 PM
imported_mightyjlr

There is no color "Butane Blue" for the Crossfire. There is Saphire Silver Blue.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:36 PM

I was about to say. I know the car has a blue hue, but BLUE...I don't think that would look good at all...

Old 08-18-2003, 10:44 PM
kusheen
Default got the blues

I'm just passing along what both dealers I visitied in one day called the car: Butane Blue. May be some kind of 'inside' designation, may be what Chrysler calls the color on other Chryslers...I dunno, I just heard it from two dealers.

But, to someone else's point, it didn't look blue to me at all until they called it butane blue. THEN I saw the bluish tinge to it.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

Butane Blue is a 'special' color they have for $5K over MSRP. Along with paint sealant, etching and interior conditioning :lol: