Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Well, It's Begun...

Old 02-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bonsterbum, Do you drive yours in the snow and ice we get in this part of the country? If so how does it handle. The wife is not used to a rear wheel drive.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:08 PM
kusheen
Default snow and ice

flathead...

I'm a little south and west of you in the greater Baltimore area, weather is similar to yours.

If you have ANY alternative to driving this car in the snow or ice, you should use it. This is a great handling car to be sure, but it simply is not well designed to do well in ice and snow. Especially if your wife is used to front wheel drive cars.

Good luck and enjoy your car! You did get a great deal.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:13 PM

flathead, was born/raised in se delco pa until last year, and have driven chryslers for 20 years, always rear-wheel drive (lasers, stealth, daytona, sebrings, etc)...never any problem in out se pa weather whatsoever...

i, too, was hesitant to go to rear-wheel drive...but i have to say, i debated between keeping both the sebring lxi (which handled beautifully in our philly snow, even 36") and the crossfire, but my lifestyle doesn't permit me to juggle 2 cars at once (live on my boat 3/4 of the year and rent in DC or kent island MD over the winter months until boat is back in water).

anyway, decided to trade the sebring in when i purchased the crossfire. so, the crossfire is my primary car and do 100+ mi daily in commuting and errands. nothing, not even weather, keeps me off roads... mine did come equipped w/the continental touring (mud/snow) tires and i can say that i've not had had a problem in terms of handling. we did get some ice down here this winter and that's difficult for anyone, but i was pleasantly surprised when traction control kicked in, the car handled great in the snow...

as i said, decided to make it my primary car and i've not regretted it thus far. haven't heard good things about the michelins and winter-weather handing, so, i hope your's was equipped w/the conti-touring tires.

all the best and safe travels. bonster

Old 02-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular

I don't mean to nit pick, but I owned a 1986 Chrysler Laser and a 1991 Dodge Stealth, and they were both front wheel drive vehicles.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:06 AM

sorry about that jsisabella...i obviously meant all of them were front-wheel drive...that's what i get for not proofing ops:

Old 02-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks. It does make alot more sense now.

In my opinion, driving a rear wheel drive in the winter is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Get the right tires and take it easy, and you will get there.