Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Opinions about 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Coupe

Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions about 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Coupe

Hi,

I just joined this forum and have some questions about a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Coupe i found on the web and have some questions. It has automatic transmission and only 35k miles. It has a clean CARFAX record that states only a single owner. This only owner was a leasing company who drove it for 3 1/2 years before it was sold to the dealer on a car auction (Dec. 2008) and since then is on sale. It has all the standard features and is priced with 8000 US $, a good price in my opinion.

My questions are a) are there any known issues with that model and year that I should be aware off before proceeding b) what is good and what is bad about the car c) is the price realistic, good, or bad and if so, what price is a more realistic one I should aim for?

Thank you very much for you help,
Ralf

Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Opinions about 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Coupe

Well, bought my '05 in the summer of 2008 w/ 21,000 miles for $12,500 w/ extended warranty, which I thought was a great deal.

Issues I have experienced:

As you will learn (as I did immediately) plan on laboring over your headlamp lenses-they will etch and fog. It's not a matter of if, but when. Mine were replaced under warranty immediately following the purchase.

The rear hatch rattle (use search function, covered extensively)

Creaking/popping from rear quarter window trim (fixed under warranty)

Wheel clearcoat peel (personally, minor enough for me not to worry about)

As far as other problems, they are pretty evenly spread throughout the models, regardless of year. If there was a well known problem for the 2004 model year, more than likely a 2008 model would/could have the same problem. Overall, though, they are exellent cars. There are a number of active members on this forum who have near 100k on their cars and have had no major problems at all. Sounds like a good deal and I doubt you will be disappointed with your purchase.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 PM

I have an 05 Limited Coupe that I purchased exactly a year ago. It had 37,000 miles on it and I got it for $11,000. The car is excellent, and has had no major problems except for the few minor issues you can read about here and there on this forum. Other than that the car is great, and despite it's low horsepower, i wouldn't trade it in for any sports car in it's class, like the 350Z or RX-8. I think you r getting a great deal. But these are my opinions, some would agree and some would disagree. Look to get as many opinions as possible before buying, but ultimately get what you want, not what others want. This is the best place to get an opinion though, haha.

-Sam

Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definately came to the wrong place for UNBIASED opinions

I had a '07 base coupe that I bought new in April '08 for 18k. I had no problems with it...except for some lady smashed it in April '09...

I now have a '05 SRT...which is obviously a bit different than the base/ltd models...but some things I have noticed and 99.5% of the people will tell you...

cupholder = useless

I personally do not like the Nav that is equipped on mine (don't know if it is on yours or not). Just not very user friendly. Seat heaters seem to give a lot of people problems and stop working (most have gotten fixed once and had no further problems with them).

I think the stock ride height is a little high in the rear, but that is a personal opinion and does not translate across all users on the forum.

Other than what was previously mentioned about the condensation on the headlights...there are not too many problems that are not unique to the individual owners car.

some have experienced trouble with the crank position sensor and most SRT owners see IC pump failure between 15-25k miles.

I'm sure you will love the car... I would keep an eye out on cars.com or autotrader.com or vehix.com for a car that may have lower miles and be for the price you were looking to spend..

Research is the key and there is no better place to start than this forum.

Happy hunting. Keep us updated if/when you make a purchase.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Forum Regular

I bought my '05 coupe on April 9. It only had 2,800K on it, so I paid a bit more at $17,300 and have been very happy with it. My only concern was the transmission gasket leak, which is a common problem and has since been fixed. I will also replace the battery next week. I do need to drive it more. Since taking ownership, I've only filled the tank twice....

Monty

Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 AM

Are you saying that model had a transmission gasket leak problem which has been resolved by Chrysler in later models? Or do you say that your car had that problem and you personally took care of it?

Ralf

Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I My only concern was the transmission gasket leak, which is a common problem and has since been fixed.
Sorry for double posting. Just figuring things out here...

Are you saying that model had a transmission gasket leak problem which has been resolved by Chrysler in later models? Or do you say that your car had that problem and you personally took care of it?

Ralf

Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Forum Regular

I believe it's a common problem with most Crossfires. Not a major repair, though. It cost me $110.00 to fix.

Monty

Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My SRT6 is the same car, with a more powerful engine and different seat coverings. This is the second summer of driving. I bought it with 8k miles and have almost doubled them. No problems, other than the common intercooler problem for the supercharger. You don't have to worry about that. Just get it checked out thoroughly and park a little money aside for potential repairs. Do the maintenance and make sure you use Mobil1 0W-40. If it's graphite gray and you decide not to buy it, let me know. :-)

Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
cupholder = useless
Can someone explain this to me? I've had my car for almost a year and I've used the cupholder quite a bit. Now I don;t drink 32oz drinks as that seems fairly excessive. But any other size has fit perfectly and snug. The only mild complaint I have is the actual placement is a little too far back, but it's never been a serious issue.

My previous car, a GTI, had two cupholders that were basically two large cylinders that didn't adjust to the size of the drink. I've noticed this type of cupholder in many other cars as well. So unless I buy the gluttenous 32+oz drink, a regular soda, water, or coffee is all over the place. Forget about taking turns quickly when I had the VW and attempted to take along a drink. Anything other than highway driving was a balancing act.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Yea the cupholder works great for certain sized bottles. The worst part about it, in my opinion, is it's placement, cuz that's usually where my arms rests haha.

-Sam