Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Magnaflow Exhaust for the Crossfire

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Exhaust for the Crossfire

I just thought I would post a little thought regarding the Magnaflow exhaust mentioned so many times in this forum. First, I read a number of comments regarding different types of exhausts (Cat Back) for the Crossfire. I decided on the Magnaflow system.
The system arrives and I notice that the hangers are not symmetrical The right hanger (from the rear) is lower and shorter. I read that some of the hangers have to be adjusted (bent) to fit properly. I decide to do this then install and fit the system on the car.
This is where it gets good. Well after making adjustments and putting on the car I take out out for a 20 minute ride. I recheck everything but I am still not happy with the way the mufflers sit in the hangers. So I send a email to DotCom Parts (purchased from) and corrispondence begins. The sales associate at DotCom is very helpfull but Magnaflow will not take system back. I figure this not what you should get when you buy a $500 dollar item. I just want it to fit and look proper on my 07" Coupe. Heck, the car only has 1100 miles on the clock!.
Anyways, anyone interested in this system may want to consider something else (Ansa, Borlsa or whatever).
I have a Volant system on my F150 and the quality and fit are much better. That system has been through 3 Upstate NY winters with no problems.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0613091503a.jpg (291.5 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by MILF_Racing; 07-02-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Magnaflow Exhaust for the Crossfire

I don't own that exhaust system, but I know this has been a problem in the past. Although I never really read thru the fixes, you may want to search to find out how to fix the problem. There is a solution.

I'm curious if this is the same system that can be bought thru the forum for $350 plus shipping?

James

Last edited by James1549; 06-29-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into getting one but sheesh it's pricey. You could make a CAI for less than that money and get better performance from the CAI. I also heard that the Magnaflow exhausts yields little to know performance, so I think the money is better spent elsewhere. But these are my opinions haha.

-Sam

Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose one could complain about the fit and the problems involved in adjusting it, BUT considering the lack of aftermarket parts I will (and have) decided to overlook the fact it has to be dropped at least once to make it hang "just so". And the fact that the MF can be had for $350 vs. $750+ for the Borla. I'm happy with my decision.

For a manufacturer to refund an exhaust system doesn't surprise me at all. Try returning a carburetor sometime! Or any other "wet" part.

Sorry you considered the quality too low. It seems a pretty bulletproof bit of kit to me. The process used to roll the tips really make it a good looking choice.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

a local muffler shop should be able to pull the rear muffler down, cutout 1/2" of the longer rod and weld back togather and reinstall ontot he car straight for less then an hours labor.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another reason I only spent $116 for a new single magnaflow and had the local shop put it all together for an additional $110.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
a local muffler shop should be able to pull the rear muffler down, cutout 1/2" of the longer rod and weld back togather and reinstall ontot he car straight for less then an hours labor.
Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Another reason I only spent $116 for a new single magnaflow and had the local shop put it all together for an additional $110.
I support the above feedback. I've got a local-owned independent muffler shop nearby and I have him install all of the aftermarket exhaust systems I've purchased over the past 8-10 years. I've found that nothing is a "direct replacement" and ends up having some sort of adjustment and/or modification made. I'd rather he did the work on a lift instead of me doing it 2 ft off the ground.

Later,

Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all I purchased mine through the group price $390.00 delivered not $500.00 plus..
I had a national chain muffler dealer install it for $60.00. Took them 25 minutes max to install the magnaflow and remove the stock exhaust.
I really don't understand why you or anyone would have a problem. It was a direct bolt on with minor adjustments and no issues. It aligned and mounted perfectly. It has been on my CF for 6 months with no issues. You also say the quality is not that great and you recommend buying an Ansa, Borla, etc. Have you ever purchased or installed or listened to one of those for a CF. How do you know they are any better or worst for that matter. When it comes to exhaust systems it becomes very subjective. The magnaflow is an excellent product with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by Glockhit; 06-30-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

I had the pleasure of driving my friend Carol's Roadster all weekend.
She has the Magnaflow Catback and it looks and sounds great !!!!
My Coupe has the Ansa and has almost the same sound.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 AM

I did the same, 12158 Magnaflow muffler, local shop built the hangar and away we go !

Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Forum Regular

When I received my Magnaflow 16633 catback I also wondered about the uneven hangers before I installed it. Magnaflow assured me that was the way it was designed and it would fit, but they would take it back through WunderCarParts if I was unhappy with the results. I installed it and it looks and sounds great. There is some minor drone at times but not that bad. Make sure everything is tight and nothing is touching or it will amplify. I also did use the tricks of a zip-tie to keep the rubber donutes pulled together and an exhaust hanger stretcher to remove and install the donutes. The whole process took a bit more than an hour. It's a great buy at $350 plus some shipping costs.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
TVT_DESIGN

And people were complaining that our dual exhaust out of T304 SS that fits perfectly on all stock hangars was too much at 999.00 shipped or even cheaper with less options (resonators, tips, mufflers, etc.)

Quality costs money folks.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Forum Regular

I just spoke with Brad the owner of wUnderCarParts (1-888-986-3373). The $350 deal is still on. You just call them and say you want the Crossfire forum deal of $350 plus shipping for a Crossfire Magnaflow 16633 Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust. He's kept the Magnaflow 16633 catback at that price for us for more than a year now! You must call and ask. It's not available for that price on-line. I've had mine for quite some time and am still loving it.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mimi, I am with you, bought a good Magnaflow and had a local shop do all the other odds and ends. Cost less and great outcome....

Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
And people were complaining that our dual exhaust out of T304 SS that fits perfectly on all stock hangars was too much at 999.00 shipped or even cheaper with less options (resonators, tips, mufflers, etc.)

Quality costs money folks.
Not sure what your talking about, but I found the Magnaflow 16633 quality to be very good with life time warranty if that means anything. It was $350 well spent in my book.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

The Magnaflow web site indicates that they have been out of stock on the Crossfire Magnaflow 16633 SS Catback exhaust. It states that they should have some by 7/6. Looks like they have been selling like hotcakes.