Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

car show

Old 10-13-2003, 07:35 AM
kusheen
Default car show

Took the car to the big Ocean City, Maryland end of Summer Cruisin car show this weekend. I work for the promoters at the show, so I was able to get there early each of the 4 days of the event (it's on a parking lot directly next to the ocean) and park the car in a prime spot...it was the first thing folks saw as they came through the gate.

There were a total of 1500 cars in the show by the end of the weekend, the total number held down by rain on Friday and Saturday, but with Thursday and Sunday being absolutely perfect weather. Gate attendance was about 10,000 for the weekend, again down by half it's usual because of the bad weather on the two days that generally account for the greatest gate receipt.

Although this show has a hot rod/muscle car focus, unlike it's May season kick-off counterpart, which has cars only 1974 or older, this show allows any special interest/enthusiast car.

As a result, late model Mopar was well represented, with at least two Vipers I saw, two yellow Prowlers, at least 30 PT Cruiser's (most with one club), and 6 300M's, all tricked out and parked together.

My Xfire was the only one there, and it drew a HUGE amount of attention. I can truly say the only comparable experience I've had was the attention I'd get with my Esprit.

I was working the front gate, and although my attention was largely on the gate, I was able to look over to where the car sat, and most times there were a half dozen or more people looking at it, sticking heads in the window, and generally trying to figure out what it was. It was probably the most photographed car there, at one point 3 guys were trying to take pix at the same time, and I thought a fight was going to break out as tempered flared when they got in each other's way.

Some of the 'regulars'...guys who bring their rods to all the shows the promoters do, gave me some good natured ribbing that people were running by their custom cars to get to the Crossfire. It was good natured, but you could tell they didn't care much for it.

About 100 trophies are given away on Sunday. Different groups and sponsors in OC send folks to the show to pic out 'the best' to be awarded a trophy by the group at the awards show on Sunday afternoon.

I was still at the front gate during the show when it was announced that the Ocean City Police Department declared the Crossfire it's 'best in show,' and now I've got a dust catcher to add to those I'd pick up from time to time in British Car shows in my MG/Lotus days.

Strictly being a looker does not make for a great car...something cars have in common with women, I suppose. I still like my cars to go, but it was fun watching reactions of literally thousands of people over the weekend as they examined the car.

The funniest thing was a couple was standing next to me at the gate, trying to decide whether or not to drop the $5 to get in. The man said to his wife..."See that black car over there?" pointing to my car. He continued "That has got to be the UGLIEST car I've ever seen!" I smiled and said, well, that's my car.

He started to apologize, and I said no need. The thing about the car is that you either like it, or hate it (or like the front and hate the back, or vice versa), but it's not invisible. It demands reaction...good or bad.

The couple own a restaurant in OC, and he was so apologetic that he invited my wife and I to his restaurant that evening for a complimentary dinner.

Folks in the mid-Atlantic area: put this show on your calendar for 2004...always the second weekend in October. A GREAT time.

Todd

Old 10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car show

Aloha Todd,
CONGRADULATION ON A GOOD DAYS WORK. You said it just right! You either like it or you don't.........
Gramps.......