Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: Would you buy an upgraded clutch
Yes!
43.48%
Yes is it's less than $550
43.48%
No, I drive like a granny
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Who is really interested in a performance clutch?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is really interested in a performance clutch?

As I'm sure none of you know, I own a performance shop. I rerally don't deal much with crossfire stuff since I'm friends with Needswings and don't want to step on anybodies toes. however I have good connections with south bend clutch, and I can't stand how light the clutch is in my car. I can probably work out a pretty good deal on a street series clutch and a higher performance Ofe clutch if I can get at least 10 people interested.

(to the moderators, I'm not trying to solicit business in any way, if there is a market for the clutches, I'll pay for a site sponsorship package )

Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Who is really interested in a performance clutch?

im coming up on 70000 miles, the car could probably use a clutch anyway... why not go with something a little more "heavy duty"

im interested...

Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I voted yes because I am at 50K and drive like I stole it, also teaching the GF how to drive stick = new clutch needed LOL

I said yes, and not yes to 'only below $550' because I want to see what can me made, but that does not mean that I am in no matter what the cost....

Thanks DarkhelmetRT, any chance you could hook me up on the install too? LOL

Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I voted yes because I am at 50K and drive like I stole it, also teaching the GF how to drive stick = new clutch needed LOL

I said yes, and not yes to 'only below $550' because I want to see what can me made, but that does not mean that I am in no matter what the cost....

Thanks DarkhelmetRT, any chance you could hook me up on the install too? LOL

sure inbstall is not a problem if your willing to drive all the way to the shop

now if I can just find a used clutch and flywheel

Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Forum Regular

very interested wouldnt mind spending more then 550 but definitely dont want to pay SPEC clutch prices. count me in!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

I only have 18K on the clock. But the softness of this clutch is annoying. I want to cut out the delay valve, which is inside the bell housing, so I will have to remove the damm thing anyway. Might as well put in a stronger HP clutch while I'm at it.

count me in.

Where is your shop?

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-07-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Forum Regular

delay valve?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I only have 18K on the clock. But the softness of this clutch is annoying. I want to cut out the delay valve, which is inside the bell housing, so I will have to remove the damm thing anyway. Might as well put in a stronger HP clutch while I'm at it.

count me in.

Where is your shop?

roadster with a stick

Northville, MI about a 10 hour drive to you. lol

Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
delay valve?
When i was at Eurocharged last week, Lazar mentioned it. I had not heard about it either but perhaps it has another name. Supposedly a simple modification process to make the hydralics of the clutch system more responsive, quicker.

Anyhow, we went to remove it but found that it was inside the bellhousing, requireing removal. I postponed the work untill another time.

roadster with a stick

Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

fill me in on removal process when completed.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM

does anyone know how much just a stock cluch sells for?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 PM

So.. My clutch just crapped out, and I need a new one. Trying to find some performance parts to replace them with (considering I don't want more OEM parts just to burn up on me again... odd story that..). Hopefully someone gets something going here.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Borhmian
So.. My clutch just crapped out, and I need a new one. Trying to find some performance parts to replace them with (considering I don't want more OEM parts just to burn up on me again... odd story that..). Hopefully someone gets something going here.
Have you located any pricing on OEM replacement (for comparison purposes)?? Also, how many miles do you have, how hard do you drive, etc. I am sure many people would want to know.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
fill me in on removal process when completed.
There is a thread somewhere that has to do with different service manuals for our cars. According to the '04 Service Manual (hoping it applies to the '05 too [and I'm assuming it's the NA, considering I can't see anything in it about a SC]): To take out the clutch, have to take out the exhaust, to take out the propeller shaft, to take out the tranny, so you can get to the clutch. Not really a hard process. In order to get to the flywheel, have to take off the driver side upper and lower instrument panel, because you have to disconnect the clutch pedal in order to get it out. Hope that helps!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Have you located any pricing on OEM replacement (for comparison purposes)?? Also, how many miles do you have, how hard do you drive, etc. I am sure many people would want to know.

Thanks for the info.
For parts (the parts the service rep said I needed was the clutch plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and flywheel [I might also end up replacing the pressure plate, just to be safe.. any ideas there?]) and labor, guy told me $3000. I called him back and said I'll get the parts myself, what's labor? $730. Ouch.. I know they def are overcharging me, but I'll deal with that later.

As for car info, I have right around 40K on her, and I drive her spirited, but not overly aggressive. I have gotten her up to 153 - 155ish (I wanted to see how fast she could go.. Lol..) once, but that was months ago, and didn't have any problems. This is my first manual (hell of a car to learn on, let me tell ya!) so that probably has a bit to do with it.

I contacted TVT earlier today, however, got their answering machine (probably busy, wouldn't surprise me). I'm going to call them back in about an hour or so, maybe a few more (can't wait too late, I'm on PST right now) and see what they recommend.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Can I have your old parts? I need a pressure plate, disc and flywheel to get these kits going and cant seem to find one for the life of me.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DarkhelmetRT
Can I have your old parts? I need a pressure plate, disc and flywheel to get these kits going and cant seem to find one for the life of me.
I can contact the service dept, see if they can get those to me. Just a warning, though, my flywheel is pretty messed up, and the disc was actually burned.. How it happened, they have no idea. I don't, either, for that matter. Let me call the shop and see if they've kept the stuff.

As a side note, also called back TVT, got their answering machine again. Must be quite busy today.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I can contact the service dept, see if they can get those to me. Just a warning, though, my flywheel is pretty messed up, and the disc was actually burned.. How it happened, they have no idea. I don't, either, for that matter. Let me call the shop and see if they've kept the stuff.

As a side note, also called back TVT, got their answering machine again. Must be quite busy today.
Alright, so called them back, and doubt you could use the disc or flywheel for any kind of fab work. The clutch disc is literally in pieces, and the flywheel is so damaged that the dealership (which is where I'm having this done at) can't even machine it back to being functional. I'm sure I can still get the parts if I really needed them, but I don't think you can use them for anything.. Do you still want them?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Alright, so called them back, and doubt you could use the disc or flywheel for any kind of fab work. The clutch disc is literally in pieces, and the flywheel is so damaged that the dealership (which is where I'm having this done at) can't even machine it back to being functional. I'm sure I can still get the parts if I really needed them, but I don't think you can use them for anything.. Do you still want them?

I still want them. let me know how much $$ you need for shipping,

thanks

Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DarkhelmetRT
I still want them. let me know how much $$ you need for shipping,

thanks
Alright, I'm going to call the shop back and see about picking them up after work today. As for shipping, no ideas, considering I don't know where you live. =P Drop me a PM and let me know where you're at so that I can find out.

So what do you think you're going to be able to do with them?

Quick Reply: Who is really interested in a performance clutch?