Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Spray on tail light tinting.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray on tail light tinting.

Good or bad? Should people use it? How much is too much as in so dark that police start pissing and moaning?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Spray on tail light tinting.

Originally Posted by Teck-9
Good or bad? Should people use it? How much is too much as in so dark that police start pissing and moaning?
My Stepdaughter had someone prep and spray her tail section of her 300zx and after about 7 months, it is starting to show signs of coming off. I believe it was way too dark as well. Hate to see what would happen if someone hit her in the rear due to the lights being so dim. Not sure if it comes in different shades but I would stay away from it. Just my opinion.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular

Got mine painted professionally. It's not real dark, can still see the red lens at day time. I like it and My lights are still bright. Plus my third light is especially bright, I cant see someone trying to BS a wreck being caused because they didn't see your lights. I don't know the laws for it but if you tint your's I suggest not going very dark

[media]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/huffster_2007/SSPX0077.jpg[/media]

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Well, last Friday a bike cop pulled me over on my way home from the office at 6:00 pm and told me my tints on the rear were too dark. He said the taillights had to be visable from 1000 feet. (don't really know if that is ture) I mentioned the 3rd light....... He immediately said all 3 lights must be visable. That's when I figured he was f..kin with me and was just being an asz. He went back to his motorcycle and ran my plate. I got out of the car and went to the back and peeled off the film. He got off the bike, gave me my licence back and said, "that works for me".

Funny when he asked me for my licence he asked me if this crossfire was a 2008 or 2009. LOL I guess that was a complement.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Don't know what your state law says but here in Kansas all three brake lights must be visible from 1000 feet from behind the vehicle when on. What that means is that when your brakes are applied, your lights (3 or 2 depending on what your vehicle was equipped with) must be seen clearly from 1000 feet behind the vehicle at any time of day. And for additional info headlight tints are against statute as well regardless of if the lamp is on or not. On a personal note your black crossfire looks great with the tint, but we all have a job to do.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyshadow
Got mine painted professionally. It's not real dark, can still see the red lens at day time. I like it and My lights are still bright. Plus my third light is especially bright, I cant see someone trying to BS a wreck being caused because they didn't see your lights. I don't know the laws for it but if you tint your's I suggest not going very dark

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/SSPX0077.jpg
i like those exhaust tips

Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I'll bite (and I am relatively ignorant about your car) ... what part of your car is "AMG" ?

and btw, I definitely CAN see someone trying to BS a wreck being caused because you have tinted lights ... and if your lights are illegal you will most likely lose that argument

Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
Well, last Friday a bike cop pulled me over on my way home from the office at 6:00 pm and told me my tints on the rear were too dark. He said the taillights had to be visable from 1000 feet. (don't really know if that is ture)...
Yes, it really is true here in Florida: Florida Statutes : Taillamps

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by billvp
Alright, I'll bite (and I am relatively ignorant about your car) ... what part of your car is "AMG" ?

and btw, I definitely CAN see someone trying to BS a wreck being caused because you have tinted lights ... and if your lights are illegal you will most likely lose that argument

Haa, ok...If you want to look at it in the simplest form, AMG is a subsidiary of Daimler AG who's parent company is Mercedes Benz, so my car definitely applies. More in depth AMG it's self is a department that installs and builds parts for MB cars that typically have more aggressive looks, higher performance, better handling and better stability then their regular Mercedes counterparts. So I believe with my curren
t upgrades and with the addition on the C32 brakes I will apply AMG to my car to notify it is a more 'equipped' version of the Crossfire.

I bet your really going to flip your lid when I get the back hatch shaved to replace the Chrysler decal with a MB emblem. UHOH!

Also, just some info, SRT-6 Crossfires actually have AMG motors... they could definitely have that emblem on their car.

Last edited by Skyshadow; 10-28-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
i like those exhaust tips
Thanks, I actually had some guy pull up next to me and say," I could tell that was a AMG cause those are the same tips my old AMG coupe had." I was just like,"ok... cool thanks"

I got them from a company called Sebring

Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thumper SRT6
Yes, it really is true here in Florida: Florida Statutes : Taillamps
Thanks. Good information.

The officer also mentioned that their are people who will hit you in the rear and claim it was your fault because of the blackout taillights.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too went the professional tint route. The lights shine through quite easily. I keep my car very clean and there is no problem seeing them from 1000 feet.

I have seen too many cars that are filthy with dirt over their untinted lights that are hard to see at 50 feet.

RMADERMAN, maybe the officer should be issuing those people tickets for having dirty lights.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
RMADERMAN, maybe the officer should be issuing those people tickets for having dirty lights.
In 1979 the law in Michigan was that you had to be able to see brake lights in full sunlight at 500 feet. I'd been having fun with my Jeep and it was kinda muddy.
$50 or $52 fine!

It is hard enough to keep from having an accident, I'd never do something to deliberately cause my lights to be any less bright than they are. If someone rear ends me and my lights are not legal, will I still be able to collect from their insurance? Do I have the ability to fight an insurance company in court? Will MY insurance defend me if my lights are not legal?

QUestions I'd rather not need to ask. Do what you want to do with your car, by all means. But do so with thought for any implications that go along with it, then weigh the costs/risks.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-28-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM

I don't disagree with you on this. However, a light tint does not really alter the visibility of the light shining through. I was very careful before doing the tint. The brake lights are highly visible day or night.

There have been a number of cars that have come with a dark tint straight from the factory. I remember several years of the Firebird fell into that category.

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
In 1979 the law in Michigan was that you had to be able to see brake lights in full sunlight at 500 feet. I'd been having fun with my Jeep and it was kinda muddy.
$50 or $52 fine!

It is hard enough to keep from having an accident, I'd never do something to deliberately cause my lights to be any less bright than they are. If someone rear ends me and my lights are not legal, will I still be able to collect from their insurance? Do I have the ability to fight an insurance company in court? Will MY insurance defend me if my lights are not legal?

QUestions I'd rather not need to ask. Do what you want to do with your car, by all means. But do so with thought for any implications that go along with it, then weigh the costs/risks.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

typical lame attempt at justifying a ricer badge

Haa, ok...If you want to look at it in the simplest form, AMG is a subsidiary of Daimler AG who's parent company is Mercedes Benz, so my car definitely applies. More in depth AMG it's self is a department that installs and builds parts for MB cars that typically have more aggressive looks, higher performance, better handling and better stability then their regular Mercedes counterparts. So I believe with my curren
t upgrades and with the addition on the C32 brakes I will apply AMG to my car to notify it is a more 'equipped' version of the Crossfire.

I bet your really going to flip your lid when I get the back hatch shaved to replace the Chrysler decal with a MB emblem. UHOH!

Also, just some info, SRT-6 Crossfires actually have AMG motors... they could definitely have that emblem on their car.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OH Noooo, Mr. Bill....... that made me chuckle.....

Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM

I would go with film, a little harder to get it to lay down correctly, but easily taken off and will not fade or show signs of wear like cheap lense paint. You could have them professionally painted, but more $$$ than vinyl film and more permanent. Check my gallery, my car is 20% and it looks like SkyShadow's. I have seen black XFs with 5% film and it looks like there are no tail lights until you hit the brakes. I would go 20% if I were you.

I am in Indiana and asked a cop when I did my lenses and he said they were well within my legal rights. Got pulled over the other day (47 in a 30) and he didn't say a word. Then again, I have some pretty serious bulbs in mine so there are NO issues seeing my lights.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Forum Regular

typical lame attempt at justifying a ricer badge
Dude, Who are you bill?!? You've have your car for what looks like 3mo now? WOW, study up and come see me in a year! If i wanted to smear **** on my windows and put a cummins diesel sticker on the back, I can cause it's my car. Don't like my AMG emblem? Tough ****, come find me and try to take it off.

1st Reconnaissance Co. of I MHG
Camp Pendleton, CA 92055

Ask for Cpl Huff, I'll wait... lol
Good Day

Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

Dude, Who are you bill?!? You've have your car for what looks like 3mo now? WOW, study up and come see me in a year! If i wanted to smear **** on my windows and put a cummins diesel sticker on the back, I can cause it's my car. Don't like my AMG emblem? Tough ****, come find me and try to take it off.

1st Reconnaissance Co. of I MHG
Camp Pendleton, CA 92055

Ask for Cpl Huff, I'll wait... lol
Good Day
So you're not only an AMG poser, but you're also an internet tough-guy poser too, huh?

I'm sure I'm going to come to CA and look up some "super tough" Cpl. Huff, lmao ok ... did you sign up because you heard they're reversing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular

So you're not only an AMG poser, but you're also an internet tough-guy poser too, huh?

I'm sure I'm going to come to CA and look up some "super tough" Cpl. Huff, lmao ok ... did you sign up because you heard they're reversing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy?
Your mouthy over the net, aren't you? wonder what your lippy *** would do face to face.
You should watch what you say about the guys who fight for your freedoms. freedoms like mouthing off on the net without getting a K-bar stabbed into your neck.
Although your entertaining, I'll be the adult here. I'm done with these shenanigans... Have fun with your car

Quick Reply: Spray on tail light tinting.