Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Suggestions for storing car?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Suggestions for storing car?

Here is the situation.... I have an enclosed barn with a pebble floor. Is there some kind of mat that I can put down to park the car on (so it doesn't get dirty or let moisture up in the car). Maybe lay a rug down or tarp? Any suggestions or would a nice clean pebble surface be good enough? Any thoughts or creative ideas?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Suggestions for storing car?

Id suggest some type of vapor barrier and a few mouse poison bait packages under the car for the mice. Get a battery tender to keep it charged and your set. Fill the gas tank also to limit vapors and condensation. WOODY

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions for storing car?

In my owners manual under storage section, pages 263-264, it gives some ideas for you to consider. Check your manual for specific pages. It may be different.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get one of those bubbles
http://www.autotoystore.com/carcapsule.html
CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover

Last edited by Rapps; 11-04-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM

I got an MDM Products Car Pocket 2 years ago and have stored an Intrepid in it for 2 years, now my daughter is 16 and driving it so the Crossfire is in it this winter at the Farm in the shed. It kept the mice, bugs and everything else away from the car. Your drive the car into the bad an zip it shut. It is 24 feet by 16 feet.

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Here is the situation.... I have an enclosed barn with a pebble floor. Is there some kind of mat that I can put down to park the car on (so it doesn't get dirty or let moisture up in the car). Maybe lay a rug down or tarp? Any suggestions or would a nice clean pebble surface be good enough? Any thoughts or creative ideas?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 PM

My son who is in the military is going to school for 3 months and has to put his car in storage. He is in California. Besides filling the gas tank and covering the car, does he have to do anything else? He is concerned that he will get flat spots on his tires if the car is not moved. Any advice?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The tires of today do not get flat spots, but alway a good idea to put something under the tires. I use a few pieces of cardboard. Plug the exhaust to avoid rodents from getting in there. A nice snug cover will do as well.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These things are so cool. I want to get one and put some fake snow in with my car. They're the perfect snow globe.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM

[quote=FP]The tires of today do not get flat spots, but alway a good idea to put something under the tires. I use a few pieces of cardboard. Plug the exhaust to avoid rodents from getting in there. A nice snug cover will do as well.

Thanks FP!

Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
These things are so cool. I want to get one and put some fake snow in with my car. They're the perfect snow globe.
Car in a bubble. Pretty neat! Thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a Car Capsule about a month ago, it'll be nice to have the car already clean when i take it out in the spring.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 AM

While I drive my Crossfire all year round, I have been storing a Corvette for many winters. I have found that a battery tender is worth its weight in gold- absolutely extends the life of the battery(especially if you don't drive the car that much when the car is out of storage). I will second the motion to fill the tank to prevent condensation forming in the gas tank and add that it is a smart idea to put STABIL(spelling?) or some other fuel stabilizer(dealer suggested I do this after I had to replace some of the car's fuel system and no problems since). Finally, to help prevent flat spots I park the car on a large piece of carpet(to soften the concrete). Whether or not it makes a lot of difference in the tires- it definitely looks cool to park your car on carpet! Good luck

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM

If you drive it about 50-80 miles every other week do you need fuel stabilizers?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 AM

Use a battery tender or simply disconnect the battery altogether.

I stored my XF for 12 months and left the battery connected - the battery went totally dead and I had to get a new one @ $80.00.

Not sure what to put on the floor, but I think critters are going to be a much larger problem than moisture.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds silly put put a bar of Irish Spring soap in the interior. It will help keep the pests out.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I think critters are going to be a much larger problem than moisture.
which is exactly why i went with the Car Capsule. i catch a couple mice each winter in the basement, i'm sure there's more than that in and out of the garage and the last thing i want to do is have to have the car rewired or re-upholstered or whatever. plus, the car gets wet if i leave the garage door open while i'm shoveling, or it'll get dusty if i'm cutting up firewood....this prevents those issues also.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you drive it about 50-80 miles every other week do you need fuel stabilizers?
I sure hope not. I drive less than that in the roadster year round and don't use it.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by stryfox
Sounds silly put put a bar of Irish Spring soap in the interior. It will help keep the pests out.
But if they do get in there is no excuse for them to be dirty anyway.
Rodents are a pain, I had a chipmunk build a nest behind the headlight in a car I had once, not content with that he decided to get rid of the wiring that ran through his little abode. That was his first mistake, noticing the headlight was out made me aware of his nest. His second mistake was finding new nesting material in one of two garbage cans sitting side by side, one full of leaves and the other empty. All went well I suppose until he forgot which was the full one, I found his body at the bottom of the empty one, too far to jump out.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Thumbs up Re: Suggestions for storing car?

Put dryer sheets in the engine compartment under the battery and on the opposite side. The criters will nest and chew you wiring.