Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tire Chains

Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Chains

So I got stranded in the snow this past Friday night as the east coast blizzard swept through Northern VA. I went to see a movie with friends around 8:30 and it had just begun to flurry. By the time I left the theater around 12:30am, there was five to six inches on the ground and it was steadily falling. I needed to get 10 miles home on a route that has numerous hills. It was a pretty hair raising experience and as I attempted to climb one last hill that would have led to a flat road I could have pretty much coasted home on, I became stuck in the middle of the road.

Luckily it was late and not many cars were on the road. I was able to safely pull into a neighborhood (after turning around and driving down the road the wrong way for about 500 feet) and park the car. I dug it out on Monday afternoon.

I searched the forum for people who have used tire chains in the past (I know, call me crazy) but it doesn't look as if A) anyone has wanted to bother with chains as they can damage your rims and are a pain, and B) most people buy snow tires. I have a hunch that this winter may bring some of the heaviest snowfall we have seen in a while (at least in VA) and I would like to be prepared for the next snow storm.

I currently am not looking to drop close to a grand on snow shoes for my xfire (Don't call me a cheapskate I just finished school and haven't made any money yet), and I hope to be avoiding driving in the snow whenever possible.

That being said... I am starting work January 4 and will be commuting 20 miles round trip daily. I would like to have a set of chains for the rear tires to keep under the trunk bed in case of emergencies. I have been looking at these emergency sets on tirechain.com (see link):

V-Bar Emergency Strap On Chains

But I figured that if your going to chain your tires, you might as well invest in a real set. This newer model from tirechain.com called "Diagonal Cable Chains" seem like they might be the best bet for the xfire's low profile tires (see link):

Diagonal Tire Chains Cable

I have Conti All-Seasons. Am I correct in assuming the sizing on the rears is 255-35-19? If so does anyone know if these chains would fit on our tires?

Lastly has anyone used tire chains in the past?

Please save the comments about me desecrating my crossfire, being too cheap to buy snow tires, or telling me I shouldn't be driving in the snow anyways - to yourself.

I really appreciate anyone who has feedback on this and hopefully this thread might help somebody on the forum in the future as I don't think this topic has ever been thoroughly covered.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tire Chains

Originally Posted by mrobinso
I currently am not looking to drop close to a grand on snow shoes for my xfire (Don't call me a cheapskate I just finished school and haven't made any money yet), and I hope to be avoiding driving in the snow whenever possible.
I've seen cheap $20 chains used on a Camry. Worked pretty well, once they got on (putting them on is a huge pain in the a$$ however...)

Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinso
So I got stranded in the snow this past Friday night as the east coast blizzard swept through Northern VA. I went to see a movie with friends around 8:30 and it had just begun to flurry. By the time I left the theater around 12:30am, there was five to six inches on the ground and it was steadily falling. I needed to get 10 miles home on a route that has numerous hills. It was a pretty hair raising experience and as I attempted to climb one last hill that would have led to a flat road I could have pretty much coasted home on, I became stuck in the middle of the road.

Luckily it was late and not many cars were on the road. I was able to safely pull into a neighborhood (after turning around and driving down the road the wrong way for about 500 feet) and park the car. I dug it out on Monday afternoon.

I searched the forum for people who have used tire chains in the past (I know, call me crazy) but it doesn't look as if A) anyone has wanted to bother with chains as they can damage your rims and are a pain, and B) most people buy snow tires. I have a hunch that this winter may bring some of the heaviest snowfall we have seen in a while (at least in VA) and I would like to be prepared for the next snow storm.

That being said... I am starting work January 4 and will be commuting 20 miles round trip daily. I would like to have a set of chains for the rear tires to keep under the trunk bed in case of emergencies. I have been looking at these emergency sets on tirechain.com (see link):

V-Bar Emergency Strap On Chains

But I figured that if your going to chain your tires, you might as well invest in a real set. This newer model from tirechain.com called "Diagonal Cable Chains" seem like they might be the best bet for the xfire's low profile tires (see link):

Diagonal Tire Chains Cable

I have Conti All-Seasons. Am I correct in assuming the sizing on the rears is 255-35-19? If so does anyone know if these chains would fit on our tires?

Lastly has anyone used tire chains in the past?

Please save the comments about me desecrating my crossfire, being too cheap to buy snow tires, or telling me I shouldn't be driving in the snow anyways - to yourself.

I really appreciate anyone who has feedback on this and hopefully this thread might help somebody on the forum in the future as I don't think this topic has ever been thoroughly covered.
I think you are going at this wrong. I am not sure of the cost on the chains, but with the commute you are about to undertake in your geographic area, I think your best bet would be to at least buy snow and ice tires on the rears. The snow tires work very well, wear a lot better than A/S or performance rubber, and will not damage your rims.

I bought a set of top rated bridgestone blizaks and have not looked back, you just have to keep your eye open for the right deal, I bought my set brand new for about $750 shipped.

Keep in mind that a severe enough ding into the wrong piece on these cars can total them pretty easily with these expensive mercedes parts and crappy value. Good luck, stay safe.....

Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read the manual, but see if they are mentioned in there.
Sometimes a manual may say no chains etc.
Check for clearance, adhere to the snow-chain speed limit - you don't want them coming detached from the vehicle at high speed.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just an FYI when it comes to snow chains, they were invented by the devil. The companies that make quarter fenders and mud flaps for semis are in cahoots with the tire chain manufacturers. LOL Those things come off the tires and tear anything they come in contact with to shreds. If it will tear a quarter fender clean off a truck, just think of the damage it will do to your car. Go get snow tires and save yourself the headache.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM

First, I would not use the V-Bar Emergency chains. I don't believe there is sufficient clearance for them. I have used the cable chains, in the past, to include a Mustang Cobra, in Germany. They do work on the side streets, and hills. I believe you are restricted to 45-50 mph with them, so interstate travel would be slow going. Check you manual to see what is recommended or not recommended.

With that said, I have to agree, with other posters, a good set of full winter tires (with the snow flake on the sidewall) will end up saving you much grief. Check with Tire Rack, on line, and look at the various tires available. I used Dunlops on my Crossfire, and the lack of serious chest pains while driving in the ice, in North Texas, was well worth the cost.

I sold my Crossfire when coming to South Dakota from DFW, as I didn't want to subject her to the salt and rock chip mixture used on the roads in winter. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Talking Re: Tire Chains

I'm retired and if I know the weather MIGHT be bad driving, I won't go out.

I thought of those chains and I'd call them before ordering to talk to a tech about getting the right size. If you really have to drive a lot in heavy snowy conditions, I'd buy a "winter beater" with front wheel drive and snow tires and keep the Crossfire parked.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
AlG
Forum Regular

Years ago I used to have these emergency tire chains. They were threaded through the rim with a thick canvas strap. Only used them when you needed to get unstuck from snow though you could drive with them for a few miles at a time. Whole process to put them on and take them off took a few minutes. Haven't seen them in years but I could have used them this morning when I got stuck in two spots while trying to park here in Brooklyn. Snow was about eight inches high and car isn't. Anyhow, don't have them anymore 'cause I left them in the garage when I got divorced and gave the ex the house.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone's input. So AIG you used the emergency tire chains and they seemed to do the trick? I might just invest in those until I can purchase a set of snow tires. The cable chains do seem appealing to me since you can use them at higher speeds. By higher speeds I mean 20 to 30 miles per hour.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Post Re: Tire Chains

Has anybody tried these I have got some on order http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4yRQlXG2M

Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

UPDATE:

Well I created this thread for anyone who needed information on tire chains and as of my last post I have taken action and purchased tire chains for the rear wheels of my Crossfire.

They are called the Radial Chain and produced by SCC, a snow chain manufacturer that specializes in a variety of tire chains. The link to their website with a description of the Radial Chains is below:

SCC Radial Chain

I purchased the chains after my aforementioned incident in a snowstorm this past December but had been waiting to write an update to this post until I actually utilized the chains in snow.

I got an amazing deal on these from amazon.com. $24.00 with free shipping for the size that fits our fat rear tires size 255/35-19. And fortunately for anyone ordering a pair now, it appears they have decreased the price to $19.

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SC1040 Radial Chain Cable Traction Tire Chain - Set of 2: Automotive

Today we had about 6 inches of snowfall. My car was parked about 2 miles from home so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to try the chains. I'll admit, I was very skeptical. Typically tire chains require you to place them around the tire loosely, then roll forward and tighten them.

Instead I used the jack from the drunk to prop the rear tires up just enough to slip the chain around the tire and tighten it firmly. The chain itself looks somewhat like a miniature ladder, made from steel cabling.

The chains have a very straight-forward tightening mechanism and all in all to prop up both tires one at a time, and put on the chains, the process took me about 15 minutes. Next time I do it, I could most likely do it in under 10 minutes.

I'll admit I was skeptical. I was afraid that 1) the chains would be too loose/come undone while driving and tear the brake lines or scratch the side of the car, 2) the chains would tear up my rims, and 3) the chains wouldn't be effective.

Well let me just say, these things rock! Neither of those three things happened, and I was moving through snow like a four wheel drive vehicle. I was driving in about 5 inches of snow up and down hills, and these things just kept me tracking like I was on rails. I can honestly say that the difference between not using the chains (when I became stranded from my earlier post) and today, was night and day. And wouldn't you know it, I arrived home up my steep private drive to my house and checked the tires, and no damage had been done to the rims or the tires.

They seem to work far better on packed snow (as they are supposed to) than slushy snow with some asphalt showing. I didn't go above 25 mph with them on and certainly wouldn't want to have to drive with him at higher speeds or for long periods. Not that I don't think they would hold, but at higher speeds and for longer trips you shouldn't be traveling in the snow in the Crossfire anways. But in a pinch, and for the great price, I would definitely recommend any Crossfire owner buy a pair that might be forced to drive in the snow at some point.

Enjoy!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 AM

Regarding the Security Chain SC1040

1. I presume you put these are your rear tires...correct ?
Don't see how they would work just on the front.
Just making sure they fit the 225/35-19 rear tires.

2. Did you use any kind of keeper ??...similar to these https://goo.gl/IJcwO6
These go on the outside face of the wheel to keep the chains tight.

3. No clearance issues with the wheel well etc. ??

Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You do realize that this is a 6 year old post, right ?
And that that last activity from the OP ( beasticles ) was 06-24-2015 01:21 PM

Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 PM

Did know it's a old post...but it's a good post. Didn't noticed it was six years ago LOL.

Certainly didn't know that Beasticles hasn't posted since 2015