Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

POLICE hate our cars - I can't drive it anymore!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: POLICE hate our cars- I can't drive it anymore!

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Well, there you go....if it isn't a pickup, it some city slicker, and I'll show him not to speed in my county...Well, I can't say that doesn't happen, because we all know, whether you believe it or not, cops are human...lol
New radars don't have "set" features that go off...you can lock them, lock in the violator's speed, which isn't recommended btw...
So, all I can say, if I am bored, haven't had a contact in awhile, and I get a 9 over, why not check it out...speeding is speeding...seems he was nice enough, so I quess I don't see the complaint...nice car, boring countryside, no harm, no foul....but, no reason not to drive the car...next time, give him a reason with a 140-150 pass, and you know this will peak his curiousity....but then again, I got spanked by a turbo deisel, Dodge pickup....11.4 in the 1/4, 4-wheel drive and all...be careful out there in the back country....
I know police are human. He was nice about it. A nice guy. He could have written a ticket but he wrote a warning instead (which is a contact for him). He was originally headed in the opposite direction as me. When he was done he kept going in that direction so he was heading somewhere away from the main town. My guess (like you said he is human) is he probably lives nearby and is sick and tired of all the crazy driving city people (I am sick of them to). That is why "do you live around here" was the first question he asked when he came up to my window.

My way of thinking is this.... 9 out of 10 cops are good guys. But there is always one a-hole in the bunch. I don't mind getting stopped and checked out once in a while. I can appreciate that. The only thing is that our cars draw way too much attention. Especially mine because it shines like a mirror. That is why I like to fly under the radar during the week with a daily driver Had a tail light out (without realizing it) with the same troopers and cops driving behind me and they never bothered me. If I was in the Crossfire they would have pulled me over.

The thing that bother me the most was when he put his hand on the roof of my car and tapped it But I wasn't ready to start complaining

Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that I find strange about what you wrote and nobody has commented about it is you say you always get pulled over for stupid stuff like "not signalling in bumper to bumper traffic". Why do you think THAT'S stupid (TO signal in bumper to bumper traffic)? I would think it was stupid if you got pulled over by a cop for not signalling if you were driving out in the sticks by yourself. The time when it's important that you signal is when you're in bumper to bumper traffic so the people on ALL sides of you know what your intentions are. I could see it being stupid when there's NO traffic because who's there to see the signal anyway (if a tree falls in the woods...)? Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by buggy4crossfires; 01-31-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I understand what you are saying. No one likes to be pulled over. So, the meeting isn't usually friendly at first. That first few minutes of contact can go a lot of different directions based on attitudes on both sides. I had 2 rookie troopers in last night, and one with his sgt, still in training. The one wanted to continue a "back and forth" with his perp...I took him aside, and asked him not too. He knew immediately what he had just done. Sometimes they get caught up in it all. Arguing with a person who is intoxicated is just a waste of time, and agitates this person, which just isn't necessary. He had you on moving radar...not saying you did this or not, most people seeing the approaching police car immediatly slow down, or at least take their foot off the gas...but, not realizing we already had the "track" back up the road a ways...he may have had you faster. But having once been a supervisor, his was a good stop...and that's what should concern us, is whether an officer is doing his job, or being a jerk...we weed out the jerks over time...so if you ever feel picked on, contact a supervisor, sheriff, capt, whatever is in your county....good luck, but, again drive that baby...

Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Default Re: POLICE hate our cars - I can't drive it anymore!

I was pulled over on my way down to Houston from DFW. The state trooper pulled me over for lack of front license plate not being 20 mph over. The officer seemed to be more interested in look all over my Crossfire and all in it. Asked me how it drove, etc. When he asked for my license and reg, I also handed him my CHL and we started talking guns at that point. 30 minute pit stop for the police wasn't too bad. Talking about cars and guns and getting off with a warning.... Gotta love Texas ^_^

Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by fnewendaiku
I was pulled over on my way down to Houston from DFW. The state trooper pulled me over for lack of front license plate not being 20 mph over. The officer seemed to be more interested in look all over my Crossfire and all in it. Asked me how it drove, etc. When he asked for my license and reg, I also handed him my CHL and we started talking guns at that point. 30 minute pit stop for the police wasn't too bad. Talking about cars and guns and getting off with a warning.... Gotta love Texas ^_^
you just mentioned something a lot of us forget about...CCHL...this should be presented when asked for DL, POI, Registration...if you are packing...good point...

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by buggy4crossfires
The thing that I find strange about what you wrote and nobody has commented about it is you say you always get pulled over for stupid stuff like "not signalling in bumper to bumper traffic". Why do you think THAT'S stupid (TO signal in bumper to bumper traffic)? I would think it was stupid if you got pulled over by a cop for not signalling if you were driving out in the sticks by yourself. The time when it's important that you signal is when you're in bumper to bumper traffic so the people on ALL sides of you know what your intentions are. I could see it being stupid when there's NO traffic because who's there to see the signal anyway (if a tree falls in the woods...)? Just my 2 cents.

The law is the law... and either way I slice it I broke the law. But that is not the issue. The issue is that we are always selected out of a crowd of cars. Here is the story and you tell me if I was singled out.

Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. I am in a merge lane and the only way to go is merge on the highway. Line of cars behind me... everything bumper to bumper. I was waved on the highway by a Jaguar. I wave a thank you and wait for the car in front of him to move forward so I can get on. He let me pull in front of him. I didn't think the signal was needed. I know the cars behind my bumper didn't use a signal and the car in front of me didn't use a signal. As the traffic breaks up and we start moving a little faster a trooper jumps in to my lane behind me and pulls me over. Says I didn't use the signal and asked me to turn it on so he can look behind my car. Asks me where I am going (7AM in the morning in rush hour traffic and I am wearing a shirt and tie). I tell him I am on my way to work and he says "have a nice day".

Now why didn't he pull the cars behind me over? Why did he single me out of the crowd? He wasn't behind me? I should have used my signal... just didn't think it was needed because I was waved in and we were all sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. The point is whether I broke the law or not, I was singled out of the crowd. The car behind me didn't use a signal so why didn't he get pulled over? My car (a base coupe.. nothing fancy) is always selected from the crowd. This is just one example. I have plenty of stories like this. Never experienced this with my black convertible Camaro! Just the crossfire. A friend of mine used to have a Porsche and said the same thing used to happen to her. It may just be the police here where I live.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 01-31-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I understand what you are saying. No one likes to be pulled over. So, the meeting isn't usually friendly at first. That first few minutes of contact can go a lot of different directions based on attitudes on both sides. I had 2 rookie troopers in last night, and one with his sgt, still in training. The one wanted to continue a "back and forth" with his perp...I took him aside, and asked him not too. He knew immediately what he had just done. Sometimes they get caught up in it all. Arguing with a person who is intoxicated is just a waste of time, and agitates this person, which just isn't necessary. He had you on moving radar...not saying you did this or not, most people seeing the approaching police car immediatly slow down, or at least take their foot off the gas...but, not realizing we already had the "track" back up the road a ways...he may have had you faster. But having once been a supervisor, his was a good stop...and that's what should concern us, is whether an officer is doing his job, or being a jerk...we weed out the jerks over time...so if you ever feel picked on, contact a supervisor, sheriff, capt, whatever is in your county....good luck, but, again drive that baby...
Thanks Doc.... this particular cop was a good guy. I know bad cops and I could tell from the moment he opened his mouth he was a good guy. I understand your job is very stressful. Me of all people know that! As I said my family member is a cop and says the same thing... how the cop may have gotten you faster but when you look at the speedometer you already slowed down. You are correct there. I am just saying that I think our cars draw more attention to ourselves than an average car. At least in my town it does.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I imagine when there are 10 to 15 Crossfires on one of our road trips to hill country, that really draws attention to our cars. If we are breaking the law, I guess they'll have to call for backup or decide which one is going to be pulled over. It will be probably be mine if it is the only black car.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Forum Regular

I have yet to be pulled over by any of Maryland's finest in the XF. However, douchebaggery always finds its way into atleast one cop every so often. I was pulled over in my dad's '99 XJ8 in High School for having a turn signal that was "uncharacteristically white." After explaining that the car was purchased new and had not had the signal bulbs changed or modified in any way (and putting on my other blinker to show they were of equal intensity) I was let go with a WARNING!. I'm still not sure for what. It was ridiculous. I'm hesitant to say the crossfire is a cop magnet. I just think oftentimes, the nice cars are singled out, plain and simple.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM

My personal experience with the crossfire is that it flies under the radar... I have NEVER been pulled over, and it's been my daily driver for a little over a year. The last car I had was a black 2006 GTO and I got pulled over (I kid you not) at least once a month for the 18 months I had it. It was unbelievable. If I passed a cop, that was watching traffic they would follow me. Always.

But, the crossfire doesn't even seem to get a second look from them here in NJ.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill F
I imagine when there are 10 to 15 Crossfires on one of our road trips to hill country, that really draws attention to our cars. If we are breaking the law, I guess they'll have to call for backup or decide which one is going to be pulled over. It will be probably be mine if it is the only black car.
It's usually the last car in the group that gets nailed....Trust me, I've had some experience with this scenario at the Dragon.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Cops follow me home, then again they've been doing that for awhile now.
I've only been pulled over twice for legitimate reasons, 62 in a 45 and 90 in a 65.
Other than that they tend to leave me alone

Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I got pulled over on Franklin Road and immediatly thought of this thread and how cops are actually good people. The limit on Franklin Rd is 45 and I was doing 59. It was 12:15 in the morning and I was heading home. I pulled over at a safe area for me and the cop (Brentwoods finest), turned my interior lights on, rolled down the window,and placed my hands on the top of the steering wheel. He walked up to the car and asked me how I was doing. I responded fine, but I you need to know I have a weapon in my vehicle. He asked me where it was and asked me to hand it over. I did, then I handed him my current insurance, DL, permit, and registration. He walked back to his car, checked the serial number of my gun and came back gave me a verbal warning and told me to slow down.

He didn't target my car, (I was the only one out) he was just patrolling for drunk drivers. I was completely honest with him, and did everything I could to make sure he felt safe. In return I got off with a free pass. It doesn't happen everytime, but I'm always thankful when it does. He could have easily handed me a ticket for 14 over. BTW police don't hate our cars, you're just in a more visable vehicle, and you performed a moving violation. Simple as that, if you want to get pulled over less often get a Honda or a Giant Truck/SUV.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Hmmm, I have driven my Crossfire for almost 4 years now and just got my first ticket in October. First time I was ever pulled over driving it. I deserved it - was driving too fast.

I have never had a problem at the border and I go across fairly often. Sometimes they ask if I like the car and tell me about a relative or friend who has one.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM

I got my first ticket last summer in over 25 years, and was driving the XF. But in Whitehall in a 25 zone, they are going to ticket no matter what you drive. What made me mad was being charged at 41 instead of 40. Big difference in MI. My grandson has a tricked out pickup that he feels the cops are always on the lookout for. He's probably right.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Sunbeam Tiger. Before and during restoration it was on the road maybe seven times. Got pulled over three. No tickets. Had a bright copper/orange CTS. Pulled over regularly. Three tickets in two years. Red Jaguar XJS. Pulled over maybe eight times in two years. One ticket. Five months 5k in the Xfire. Miles below speed limit total -0-. Miles over speed limit total 4999. Times pulled over--none. Thought it would be different. Glad it ain't. I think the car looks too "grown up" to attract attention. As an aside, I sue cops for a living. As a second aside, total points (i.e. convictions) equal zero. I'm knockin' on wood as I write this.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vegaslegal
I have a Sunbeam Tiger. Before and during restoration it was on the road maybe seven times. Got pulled over three. No tickets. Had a bright copper/orange CTS. Pulled over regularly. Three tickets in two years. Red Jaguar XJS. Pulled over maybe eight times in two years. One ticket. Five months 5k in the Xfire. Miles below speed limit total -0-. Miles over speed limit total 4999. Times pulled over--none. Thought it would be different. Glad it ain't. I think the car looks too "grown up" to attract attention. As an aside, I sue cops for a living. As a second aside, total points (i.e. convictions) equal zero. I'm knockin' on wood as I write this.
Now you know we love you.....lol

Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 PM

I haven't been pulled over yet in the X-fire. When I step on it there is no one around. Let's face it every profession has it's "A" holes. For the most part the police officers I've interfaced with have been pretty stand- up guys. I think you need to give them a little credit for the absolute crap they have to interface with every day.
I think we are the least of their worries.
Just put your hands on the wheel and treat them with respect. If you screwed up; face the music.
I worked with the cops in the movie "SuperBad"---Great guys!
You should see it!

MacLovinX

Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 PM

I respect police. I work with a couple local officers. I have family members in various departments (local police, Sheriff, homocide detectives etc...). I of all people understand what they go through. Believe me! But I know they are human. For whatever reason I seem to get pulled over a lot and inspected. I think it is this particular area. There are very few crossfires here and I think they just stand out when you see one. That could be my issue. It is not a common car.

I will tell you that friends and coworkers have spotted me around town. I never notice them in their cars but they see me. I think our cars are just special... have a unique design and attract attention. Kind of like those shiny fish lures! People are just attracted to our cars

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 02-05-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a law enforcement officer I can't let this go any longer without responding. A little busy right now, but I will be putting in my "two cents worth" later

Quick Reply: POLICE hate our cars - I can't drive it anymore!