Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Engine splash shield - drainage?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine splash shield - drainage?

Hi Everyone,

I seem to get water...in my engine splash shield...afer it rains or after I wash my car. If you open the hood and look down, you can see the water just lying in there on the shield..

Is this normal? Is their a drain for that shield? When I move my car...I can see a trail of water. At least I think it's water.

If there is a drain hole...maybe mine is blocked.

If there is not a drain hole...will adding one cause a whistle sound when I drive a hign speed?

I would aooreciate any comments or recommendations.

Thanks

Ben

Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Engine splash shield - drainage?

There is no drain hole... just gravity and speed... Drilling a small hole at the low spot should not cause any issues or whistle if you want a drain...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I have had mine off for at least a year, it is a DD and I had no issues all winter with no shield. Got tired of taking it off for oil changes and it allows more cool air to get into the engine bay.....

Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Aero hasnt had a splash shield for about a year also...the SSB does, but only because I havent been under it to do anything....

Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I leave mine in place, but only because I'm once of those evil kids that likes to hit 135 every now and then.

I'm certain it serves a purpose at that speed. FWIW, Steve (32krazy) left his off and went for a speed run of 140+... he felt (and heard) a huge difference in wind.

So, mine stays on.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I leave mine in place, but only because I'm once of those evil kids that likes to hit 135 every now and then.
I'm certain it serves a purpose at that speed. FWIW, Steve (32krazy) left his off and went for a speed run of 140+... he felt (and heard) a huge difference in wind.
So, mine stays on.
I was thinking the same thing John (even though my car never see's THOSE speeds).
I believe it does make the car more aerodynamic.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people's theory for the reason for the purpose of the engine splash shield is because MB didn't want their cars dripping oil on the driveway/garage. Drill a hole in it if you want. Otherwise, it's OK as is.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be surprised if it had any aerodynamic value to it. I think the main reason for it is that the typical Mercedes owner would take offense to having any potential oil stain their garage floor.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I would be surprised if it had any aerodynamic value to it. I think the main reason for it is that the typical Mercedes owner would take offense to having any potential oil stain their garage floor.
OK, I'll take mine off, and do another fuel mileage test.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 PM

Hush Bob, I love my nice, quiet, non-turbulent trips to the speed limiter.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hush Bob, I love my nice, quiet, non-turbulent trips to the speed limiter.
Well, since I have no basis for my statement, I am thinking that I may have to put mine back on for when Steve and I race in a couple of weeks. I would hate for him to edge me out, and then have to listen to......... "See, if you had put the pan on, you would have been faster". LOL

Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 PM

Well, since I have no basis for my statement, I am thinking that I may have to put mine back on for when Steve and I race in a couple of weeks. I would hate for him to edge me out, and then have to listen to......... "See, if you had put the pan on, you would have been faster". LOL
Might be a good idea, he keeps score

Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM

+1

So, mine stays on.
I am no aeronautical engineer, but I think the oil on the ground makes more sense than the high speed purpose. It may be different in Steve's SLK, but ask Ole Doc about his, he has seen some pretty high speed, and with some regulalarity, has had his off for a long time as well. I am in traffic a lot more than I am going 135 (and I do hit it now and again) so the known cooling effects far outweigh the aerodynamic gains, if there truly are any.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I drilled a small hole in mine to drain....have had no whistling from it.

Mine stays on because my engine compartment stays noticeably cleaner than my other vehicles without the shield. Here in FL, sand accumulates on everything under the hood....not so much in the XFire.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
Here in FL, sand accumulates on everything under the hood....not so much in the XFire.
Dan I can see that for sure, my folks are in SW FL and the one on their roadster is still intact for exactly that reason....

Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry Bob I will beat both of you

Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
+1
I am no aeronautical engineer, but I think the oil on the ground makes more sense than the high speed purpose. It may be different in Steve's SLK, but ask Ole Doc about his, he has seen some pretty high speed, and with some regulalarity, has had his off for a long time as well. I am in traffic a lot more than I am going 135 (and I do hit it now and again) so the known cooling effects far outweigh the aerodynamic gains, if there truly are any.
"Body Pan" or "Belly Pan"
Car Aerodynamics 101

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-21-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM

Effective or not, I know that I am now realizing 28-29 MPG (since I've added the intake and exhaust mods).

While I'm sure the engine mods do help, the aero of this car is helping out as well.

How much does it affect the overall coefficient? Not sure, I'm no aeronautical engineer. But I just know Steve could tell a huge difference on his as the needle climbed. He not only felt the difference, but heard it as well. And if you can "hear" the air catching on something, it means that area could be smoother (think bad weather-stripping).

Any sport-touring coupe that gets ~30mpg is a freaking winner in my book. That's only 4mpg away from a Focus, and we're a lot faster and better looking.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:58 PM

I have a headache just thinking about it do or don't , yes or no, on or off,

Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hcarter
I have a headache just thinking about it do or don't , yes or no, on or off,
If anyone wants to double up their aerodynamics...I have 2 of them for sale....lol....I have seen absolutely no difference....but, it would keep some the dirt out if you drove everyday...but I don't, and it only sees rain on the long trips....and not by choice....I romp up to 145 from time to time....no problems, don't notice anymore noise than normal...never had them on the vettes, camaros, etc....so, as Harbor stated to me a long time ago, they are there because MB doesn't want any droppings in their customer's garages....must be that valve cover leakage....anyway, I like getting more air into the engine bay, so they are off for good...as is the engine covers...why hide a perfectly good looking AMG motor...

Quick Reply: Engine splash shield - drainage?