Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

My dream: Fully stripped Crossfire race car/ street monster.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My dream: Fully stripped Crossfire race car/ street monster.

Has anyone ever thought about doing this? Obviously the crossfire isnt exactly the fastest or best handling car out there, but the styling is the reason i bought mine. I have been thinking about this/ planning/ sketching this for a while. How much weight do you think would be saved removing the interior, the wall behind the seats, all sound deadening etc., until it is just a bare chassis? im guessing anywhere from 300-500 pounds right there. Replace the wall with an x-brace, weld in a full roll cage, cover dash with thin carpet (just so it looks at least presentable), drop in some bride race buckets, take out a/c, radio, power windows, replace doors with carbon fiber peices, replace recirculating ball with traditional rack and pinion, maybe eventually even the whole shell could be fabricated from carbon fiber (depends on when the money runs out). Swap in a race dash, fire supression system. next comes the suspension: i dont think the current crossfire suspension has enough aftermarket support to really put down fast lap times/ acheive the look i would want, so here is where i either would have a custom suspension completely fabricated from scratch, or swap in a suspension from another car and fabricate custom mounts/ make it tie in correctly with the chassis. Maybe an s2000 or a 370z/350z would make a good donor car. Next is the engine and drivetrain. This is where it gets REALLY complicated. Im pretty sure an Ls1 would fit with enough fabrication, maybe a 2jZ or SR20 or RB26. Even an srt-6 engine would provide more than enough go as the car would probably weigh in at about 2200-2300 pounds at this point. The problem with the SRT-6 engine is that there is no manual transmission that will mate right to it and be able to handle that kind of power. The crossfire 6MT can barely handle a measly 215, so i could either go with a completely different setup or fabricate a better clutch/flywheel and strengthen the crossfire 6MT. If the LS1 would fit that would probably be the cheapest option out there. Im looking for at least 375 whp. That would probably make a solid ten second car providing it hooks up well. (not that this car would be seeing a lot of the strip). These are just some of my ideas that i hope one day will become reality. If so i will probably attempt maybe a mild version of this idea within the next few years. If anyone knows whether any of the powertrains i mentioned would fit, let me know i havent gotten to measuring the engine bay yet. Right now i am working on designing the rear suspension and looking for more weight savings. I think if i ever do finish a project like this it would be one of the most unique cars ever built. Obviously i would have a lot of help with the fabrication but i want to design and plan most of the build myself.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: My dream: Fully stripped Crossfire race car/ street monster.

Save yourself the time and trouble....

Just buy a Corvette!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Let me guess.....

BLACK crossfire owner perhaps?

Docs gonna lock you up for smokin' that stuff!!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here we go...

Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by xfireinva
Has anyone ever thought about doing this? Obviously the crossfire isnt exactly the fastest or best handling car out there, but the styling is the reason i bought mine. I have been thinking about this/ planning/ sketching this for a while. How much weight do you think would be saved removing the interior, the wall behind the seats, all sound deadening etc., until it is just a bare chassis? im guessing anywhere from 300-500 pounds right there. Replace the wall with an x-brace, weld in a full roll cage, cover dash with thin carpet (just so it looks at least presentable), drop in some bride race buckets, take out a/c, radio, power windows, replace doors with carbon fiber peices, replace recirculating ball with traditional rack and pinion, maybe eventually even the whole shell could be fabricated from carbon fiber (depends on when the money runs out). Swap in a race dash, fire supression system. next comes the suspension: i dont think the current crossfire suspension has enough aftermarket support to really put down fast lap times/ acheive the look i would want, so here is where i either would have a custom suspension completely fabricated from scratch, or swap in a suspension from another car and fabricate custom mounts/ make it tie in correctly with the chassis. Maybe an s2000 or a 370z/350z would make a good donor car. Next is the engine and drivetrain. This is where it gets REALLY complicated. Im pretty sure an Ls1 would fit with enough fabrication, maybe a 2jZ or SR20 or RB26. Even an srt-6 engine would provide more than enough go as the car would probably weigh in at about 2200-2300 pounds at this point. The problem with the SRT-6 engine is that there is no manual transmission that will mate right to it and be able to handle that kind of power. The crossfire 6MT can barely handle a measly 215, so i could either go with a completely different setup or fabricate a better clutch/flywheel and strengthen the crossfire 6MT. If the LS1 would fit that would probably be the cheapest option out there. Im looking for at least 375 whp. That would probably make a solid ten second car providing it hooks up well. (not that this car would be seeing a lot of the strip). These are just some of my ideas that i hope one day will become reality. If so i will probably attempt maybe a mild version of this idea within the next few years. If anyone knows whether any of the powertrains i mentioned would fit, let me know i havent gotten to measuring the engine bay yet. Right now i am working on designing the rear suspension and looking for more weight savings. I think if i ever do finish a project like this it would be one of the most unique cars ever built. Obviously i would have a lot of help with the fabrication but i want to design and plan most of the build myself.
I'm getting sick of seeing people bash the handling characteristics of this car. This thing will out handle just about anything you throw at it. You're car has 215 horses. If you wanted more why didn't you just buy the SRT? Please give me an instance where you felt like because of the handling of your car that you didn't go as fast as you could have?

Quit bashing your car, instead go out and learn how to drive what you have.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

well said most drivers run out of talent long before there car runns out of horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I'm getting sick of seeing people bash the handling characteristics of this car. This thing will out handle just about anything you throw at it. You're car has 215 horses. If you wanted more why didn't you just buy the SRT? Please give me an instance where you felt like because of the handling of your car that you didn't go as fast as you could have?

The handling issue is getting old. While I agree the Crossfire handles better than most cars, my 2000 Camaro handled much better. It may have had something to do with the lighter V6 and convertible combo which may be why my Camaro felt more in control on the road (especially at high speeds). But the Crossfire has more power than my Camaro ever did because it wasn't a Z28 or SS. I am just telling you my experience on the road comparing the two. I am not knocking the Crossfire handling. I am saying it is GREAT.... just that my particular Camaro felt a little better.

But why would anyone buy a Crossfire and complain it is not fast enough. If someone wants a race car that can do 0-60 in less than 4 secs at a reasonable price then go buy a Corvette! For what this guy is talking about he could save money and time just buying a vette.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 05-06-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
The handling issue is getting old. While I agree the Crossfire handles better than most cars, my 2000 Camaro handled much better. It may have had something to do with the lighter V6 and convertible combo which may be why my Camaro felt more in control on the road (especially at high speeds). But the Crossfire has more power than my Camaro ever did because it wasn't a Z28 or SS. I am just telling you my experience on the road comparing the two.

But why would anyone buy a Crossfire and complain it is not fast enough. If someone wants a race car that can do 0-60 in less than 4 secs at a reasonable price then go buy a Corvette!
I've got a 99 Firebird Convertable with the V6. That things a sled in the corners. It's been a long time since I drove the Limited x-fire but I always thought it drove better than my Firebird. Wasn't as quick off the line, but would catch it in the end. Another thing my Firebird shakes, like Michael J Fox trying to hold a microphone, when I get anywhere near 90 mph.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

I've got a 99 Firebird Convertable with the V6. That things a sled in the corners. It's been a long time since I drove the Limited x-fire but I always thought it drove better than my Firebird. Wasn't as quick off the line, but would catch it in the end. Another thing my Firebird shakes, like Michael J Fox trying to hold a microphone, when I get anywhere near 90 mph.
Lets hope you don't get Parkinson's disease and people make snide comments about your tremors.
That's an insensitive comment for any similarly afflicted member of this forum to read. Think before you post such comments, they are not welcome.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

come on guys, give the OP some slack. Yes you can save money by buying other fast cars and make the faster but that isnt the point. the point is making a crossfire running down the strip with its front wheels up.

I can definitely see a chevy small block under the hood and making some 8-9 second passes. However, you will give up A LOT of stuff. it will be nothing but a trailer queen. I would love to see it.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Forum Regular

The handling issue is getting old. While I agree the Crossfire handles better than most cars, my 2000 Camaro handled much better. It may have had something to do with the lighter V6 and convertible combo which may be why my Camaro felt more in control on the road (especially at high speeds). But the Crossfire has more power than my Camaro ever did because it wasn't a Z28 or SS. I am just telling you my experience on the road comparing the two. I am not knocking the Crossfire handling. I am saying it is GREAT.... just that my particular Camaro felt a little better.

But why would anyone buy a Crossfire and complain it is not fast enough. If someone wants a race car that can do 0-60 in less than 4 secs at a reasonable price then go buy a Corvette! For what this guy is talking about he could save money and time just buying a vette.
WoW!!! I think there must be something wrong with your car or the camaro had some kind of set up underneath it.

I owned a 97 trans am (better suspension than the v6 ones) and weighted nearly the same and that thing was a boat compare to my crossfire. god damn, that thing was a boat compare to my cobra and 06 GT (wayyy heavier) my crossfire, by far the best handling car i have ever owned. And yes, i have driven multiple v6 camaros and firebirds and owned one. You simply cannot compare their handlings. it would be an INSULT to crossfires.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Lets hope you don't get Parkinson's disease and people make snide comments about your tremors.
That's an insensitive comment for any similarly afflicted member of this forum to read. Think before you post such comments, they are not welcome.
I dont mean disrespect sir, but the age difference between you and the thirteendog is great and this way, it is impossible for you to be able to think like him or him to think like you. different mentality levels. I personally feel sorry for him having parkinsons but at the same time, i laughed at the joke. I think it has something to do with our generation and I think our generation has a different humor than yours. It maybe wrong, but this is the way it is. Just like you lived and learn, hopefully, we will as well.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I apoligize if I offended you or anyone else, but if you can't laugh at your own shortcomings then you're going to be a bitter mean old man... wait a minute, no I've said to much.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Musclefan21
come on guys, give the OP some slack. Yes you can save money by buying other fast cars and make the faster but that isnt the point. the point is making a crossfire running down the strip with its front wheels up.

I can definitely see a chevy small block under the hood and making some 8-9 second passes. However, you will give up A LOT of stuff. it will be nothing but a trailer queen. I would love to see it.
I try to read someone else's previous posts to determine the mentality of the person posting. If you look at the threads he's started you will notice it's just one gripe after another.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclefan21
I dont mean disrespect sir, but the age difference between you and the thirteendog is great and this way, it is impossible for you to be able to think like him or him to think like you. different mentality levels. I personally feel sorry for him having parkinsons but at the same time, i laughed at the joke. I think it has something to do with our generation and I think our generation has a different humor than yours. It maybe wrong, but this is the way it is. Just like you lived and learn, hopefully, we will as well.
It is easier for me to understand his thinking than he mine, as believe it or not I was once his age.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I tuned in hoping to see a pic of the this car....

Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM

why all this talk of "just buying a vette". this is about me building/ designing my own creation, not just buying something off the showroom floor. if any of you guys are actually car guys and not just posers, you might understand that when you build something for yourself it is much more satisfying.

The following users liked this post:
SLacK350 (03-11-2024)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Im not finished kicking this not yet dead horse.........I owned a 95 z28 six speed black of course,,,Go like stink in a straight line,,however go accross a set of railroad tracks or a pot hole and it would rattle worse than my grandmothers lungs (rip).... GM quality which is a topic all of its own....I am so happy with the overall balance and build quality of the X=Fire. If I wanted More I would buy an SRT.. Buick GN. same story

Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 PM

like i said, i bought a crossfire for the styling, and also for an auto tranny and some comfort in traffic. If you want to talk to me about how amazing the crossfire handles and then in the same post talk about learning to drive the car i already have, you obviously havent been to too many track days. The crossfire's steering is vague and numb, gives no real feedback, body roll through almost any corner, inspires no confidence, not enough grip, no limited slip diff (lmao if you think the crossfire handles well stock with an open diff haha i truly lold). i ask you instead of blindly defending the crossfires sub-par handling with your fanboyism, to go out and drive some real track cars WITH a 1.5 or 2 way LSD. An s2000, mazda mx-5, sti, evo, NSX, z51 corvette, s14 silvia, 350Z. (All of which i have driven, on a track) Of course these cars were modded but like i said in the OP, the crossfire has no REAL aftermarket suspension support other than a few sets of coilovers and springs. Ever hear of camber plates, strut tower braces, tie bars, etc etc? all of these suspension components are CRUCIAL in setting up a race car for a true track prep alignment. My other car is an s2000 slammed to the ground on buddy club coilovers and i can honestly say stepping into that after driving the crossfire is like going from a 1/2 ton truck down to a regular car, thats how much of a difference i feel.

Im not trying to insult you with this post man, its just that IM sick of people DEFENDING the crossfires handling, which may be good for someone whose driven a minivan for 20 years, but leaves a real enthusiast who HAS pushed cars to their limits ON A RACETRACK wanting more.

Last edited by xfireinva; 05-06-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Let me guess.....

BLACK crossfire owner perhaps?

Docs gonna lock you up for smokin' that stuff!!

actually, alabaster

Quick Reply: My dream: Fully stripped Crossfire race car/ street monster.