Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

To HID or not to HID

Old 03-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To HID or not to HID

I'm interested of installing HID conversion kit for my headlight. I was thinking of getting the Cool Power/ Ultinon 6000k HID kit. There's is a group buy discount of $50 bucks going on with http://www.XenonDepot.com for these HID kit conversion.

My question is: Is it still legal to have this HID conversion?

Old 03-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To HID or not to HID

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
I'm interested of installing HID conversion kit for my headlight. I was thinking of getting the Cool Power/ Ultinon 6000k HID kit. There's is a group buy discount of $50 bucks going on with http://www.XenonDepot.com for these HID kit conversion.

My question is: Is it still legal to have this HID conversion?
Their web site sez:
"Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?

Every jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT approved. Our kits are also made by the same OEM manufacturers that supply all the major car companies of the world. NO XENON HID lighting system available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use."

so...I'd say you can only have them installed for 'show', as I doubt you'll be doing much off-roading in a X-Fire...!

Old 03-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as here in Miami everyone has HIDs the only people that get pulled over for them are the big dooleys or big suvs. Only because since they are high off the ground they bother cops and people driving. Our car is a new car and low to the ground. A cop will think that this new nice car comes with HIDs from factory. You should have no problem with putting HIDs on your xfire. The HIDs will not bother anybody since we are low to the ground. I had an aftermarket HID system such as this one on my Jeep Liberty and I had no problem whatsoever with cops.

But I have seen cops bother people with them on at the illegal street races here in Miami. I've seen cops pull out the whole system out of the big f350, with train horn and all.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by thefranchise
You should have no problem with putting HIDs on your xfire.
I'm not so much worried about cops... I worry about getting a "fail" on the annual safety inspection here in Virginia, where a nit-picky inspector can "fail" your vehicle if practically ANYTHING is not "as equipped by the factory"!

Old 03-15-2004, 02:06 PM

You see im used to Florida laws. Here in Florida we don't even do emissions. So if i wanted to take the cat out i could with no problem at all legally.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

The Crossfire has the look of a vehicle that would come with HID. I've been running a full HID kit in my car since I got it back in November. I have never been messed with. I hate driving cars with out HID. I had it in my last car. I'll never go back.

Now if I were a high school punk kid riding around in my 98 civic hatch back with graphics, loud fart can exhaust, and my body kit scraping on the ground, "with an HID kit". I would be worried as the kit would be one additional ticket I could get!

Old 03-15-2004, 03:34 PM

Here's a good article from Consumer Reports on HID lights:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1079382705751

My personal feeling is that unless they are adjusted correctly, they are a saftey hazard to oncoming traffic from the intense glare.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular

I haven't had one single person flash me from on comming traffic. I didn't have to make any adjustments either.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:18 AM

Thanks for you comments. I just ordered an aftermarket piaa plasma spark blue gtx bulbs from www.autothing.com to replace my headlamp bulb, but I still wanted to have a HID conversion cause they look cool in the night with more visibilty. My new bulbs will probably go to the high beams...which is a pain in the *** to install in the passenger side. I'll just have to practice in installing bulbs...who knows DC may have a competition on who can install a bulb quicker

Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
I just ordered an aftermarket piaa plasma spark blue gtx bulbs from www.autothing.com to replace my headlamp bulb, but I still wanted to have a HID conversion cause they look cool in the night with more visibilty.
Would love to here results once you've installed. What would be REAL cool is to only do one side, then take a night photo looking into the lights, trying to center the camera and about 200 ft. out from the car. As a comparison.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Forum Regular

Did that with the HID conversion

http://www.dfwsbr.com/crossfire/HID/

Old 03-18-2004, 04:43 PM

Thefranchise..It is true we don't test for emission's in Florida anymore, however it is still illegal to remove the cat converter, although it is unlikely you would get cought. If detected by dealer, it could void your warrenty, in as much as it is a Federal law to remove. That is why the converter's have always had a much longer warranty than the rest of the car.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:13 AM

Will post pictures pretty soon. Awaiting for another pair of piaa spark blue plasma GTX bulbs for the fog lights and the silvervision bulbs for the parking lights. Just ordered the clear silvervision signal lights today.

Headlights with PIAA GTX spark blue plasma are really cool with more blue tint on it. Doesn't look very bright and blinding though and its pretty close to the HID effects.