Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: Should I buy a crossfire for a first car
Should I buy
42.11%
Should I not buy
57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy

Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should I buy

16 XF you asked for advice on buying a Crossfire, I gave you some, you rejected it, so ok, Im done------GO BUY THE CAR, AND GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Al
16 XF you asked for advice on buying a Crossfire, I gave you some, you rejected it, so ok, Im done------GO BUY THE CAR, AND GOOD LUCK!
I never rejected im just saying your wrong about the insurance

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 16XF
I never rejected im just saying your wrong about the insurance
If you don't want to listen to those that are older than you about insurance, at least listen about repairs.

Here's how it breaks down-

1. Almost everything on this car is built by Mercedes, which means it's expensive to maintain or fix.
2. If it's not built by Mercedes, you can bet your a$$ that it's on national back order, hard to find, and/or expensive.
3. While you can maintain the car yourself for a much lower price than taking it to the dealer or a shop every time something breaks, you do need a good set of tools and the know-how, or your bound to break something that you can't fix or that's too expensive to fix.
4. These cars are great, but can be tough to handle for someone with little driving experience. You can't lie to me and say you aren't going to joyride this car when/if you get it. I've never met a teenager that wanted or had a fast car that didn't. If you weren't going to, you probably would go with a Civic or a Kia Rio. A performance car wouldn't matter to you. That being said, if you don't respect this car, you can lose it just like that.
5. Do you really think any law enforcement officer is not going to pay any attention to a 16 year-old driving a somewhat rare two-seater sports car around?
6. It has room for one more person. ONE. If you try to pile your friends in the trunk, your bound to A) get a ticket. B) Kill them. C) (and this is the most likely of all of them) blow your tires out. Think about the practicality of a car like this for someone your age.

There's plenty more I could add to that list, but I'll leave it at that. It's mostly about practicality, and this isn't a practical choice for someone your age. I went through 2 cars before I got my Crossfire, and I got mine a much younger age than most XF owners. The first one crapped out on me, the second I sold when I got my XF. I couldn't afford 2 cars. I really don't think you can afford just this one. How about a Lancer?

You might or might not take this advice into consideration. Either way, I'm leaving it at that. Think about it- just 4 years ago, I was your age. I'm not that much farther off in my life than you. I can relate.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
If you don't want to listen to those that are older than you about insurance, at least listen about repairs.

Here's how it breaks down-

1. Almost everything on this car is built by Mercedes, which means it's expensive to maintain or fix.
2. If it's not built by Mercedes, you can bet your a$$ that it's on national back order, hard to find, and/or expensive.
3. While you can maintain the car yourself for a much lower price than taking it to the dealer or a shop every time something breaks, you do need a good set of tools and the know-how, or your bound to break something that you can't fix or that's too expensive to fix.
4. These cars are great, but can be tough to handle for someone with little driving experience. You can't lie to me and say you aren't going to joyride this car when/if you get it. I've never met a teenager that wanted or had a fast car that didn't. If you weren't going to, you probably would go with a Civic or a Kia Rio. A performance car wouldn't matter to you. That being said, if you don't respect this car, you can lose it just like that.
5. Do you really think any law enforcement officer is not going to pay any attention to a 16 year-old driving a somewhat rare two-seater sports car around?
6. It has room for one more person. ONE. If you try to pile your friends in the trunk, your bound to A) get a ticket. B) Kill them. C) (and this is the most likely of all of them) blow your tires out. Think about the practicality of a car like this for someone your age.

There's plenty more I could add to that list, but I'll leave it at that. It's mostly about practicality, and this isn't a practical choice for someone your age. I went through 2 cars before I got my Crossfire, and I got mine a much younger age than most XF owners. The first one crapped out on me, the second I sold when I got my XF. I couldn't afford 2 cars. I really don't think you can afford just this one. How about a Lancer?

You might or might not take this advice into consideration. Either way, I'm leaving it at that. Think about it- just 4 years ago, I was your age. I'm not that much farther off in my life than you. I can relate.
Okay what other car would you recomend and please not a lancer lol

Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular

Okay what other car would you recomend and please not a lancer lol
Lancer Evo's, if you want a fast car with practicality, are great cars. Shop around on autotrader. I don't really know what you're looking for in a car, but I can tell you should get something which has 4 seats, gets good gas mileage, and is reliable. If it's cheap/easy to fix, that's even more of a reason to buy. I had a minivan as my first car. Then I had a '96 Buick Skylark. You don't always get what you want when you're young. I can tell you I still autocrossed that Skylark, despite how poorly it performed.

Possibly the most enjoyable car you can get at your age is something that fits the criteria above and something you can work on yourself. Fixing things on your first car is a pretty fun learning experience. A XF would only make that harder, more expensive, and more aggravating. If you want to get a good example, without any help from the internet or anyone else, time yourself and see how long it takes to find the air filters on a XF. It's a routine maintenance job to change them every 60,000 miles (or sooner if you like, I change mine every 20-30,000, sometimes sooner). If you can find that, try finding the cabin air filter, which needs to be changed every 18,000. If you find that, find the oil drain plug. It does exactly what it sounds like, and you need to be able to take that off every 7,000 miles. Those are the simple things, just routine maintenance. That's an illustration of how another, simpler car would be a much better match. Honestly, I would go with anything somewhat older and Japanese-made. You can find some pretty quick rice-burners for pretty cheap. They'll be reliable, easy to fix, most likely have 4 seats, and get great gas mileage.

EDIT:

Here's edmund's True Cost to Own- http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/chr...94760/cto.html

Granted that's based on if someone bought it new in 2005 (All years are the same, except the 2005 which had the auto-dimming mirror). Just subtract financing and depreciation. Or better yet, just look at the fuel costs per year. It'll cost the price of the car in 3-4 years.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-13-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure asking strangers for advise on which car you should buy is a good idea.

However, in the long run it is your car, and your money (well some of it), and as long as you go in to it knowing the costs and can aford it, get the car you want.

I doubt your family would fork over money if they did not feel you were responsible enough, at least lets hope not.

Age is not always the greatest factor to base things on. How responsible you are, how knowledgeable about cars you are, and are you willing to work for what you want. Seems that if you saved enough for the down payment that says something.

Seriously, write down every detail regarding costs of maintaining the car. Make sure it does not take every penny you make. Make sure you have enough for the other stuff you want or need.
  • Know it is not really very usable during the winter, so a second beater car is likely in your future with a xf.
  • it requires premium fuel
  • you will spend $80 for an oil change every 7000 miles if you do it yourself
  • count on tires every 20,000 miles $800-$1000 (average driving)
  • It will likely need a battery $100 (now, even if it looks ok)
  • insurance (you covered that)
  • Find a clean car - good that you have a mechanic check it out.
  • IMO, at your age keep these expences under 1/2 of your spendable cash. No fun having a nice car in the driveway that you can not afford to take anywhere.
And make an educated choice.

As for the car itself, we know they can have quirks but for the most part they are well built cars and have a very good safety record. From a safety point, I would not have a problem with anyone having a Crossfire. I would not be as comfortable recommending a cheapo "tin can" car.

Buy hey, I drove a gift beater for a year and a half before I bought a my first car - a lightly used Corvette 4spd. 350/350. I got several warnings about buying a Corvette at 18 but all worked out well.
Good luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lancer Evo's, if you want a fast car with practicality, are great cars. Shop around on autotrader. I don't really know what you're looking for in a car, but I can tell you should get something which has 4 seats, gets good gas mileage, and is reliable. If it's cheap/easy to fix, that's even more of a reason to buy. I had a minivan as my first car. Then I had a '96 Buick Skylark. You don't always get what you want when you're young. I can tell you I still autocrossed that Skylark, despite how poorly it performed.

Possibly the most enjoyable car you can get at your age is something that fits the criteria above and something you can work on yourself. Fixing things on your first car is a pretty fun learning experience. A XF would only make that harder, more expensive, and more aggravating. If you want to get a good example, without any help from the internet or anyone else, time yourself and see how long it takes to find the air filters on a XF. It's a routine maintenance job to change them every 60,000 miles (or sooner if you like, I change mine every 20-30,000, sometimes sooner). If you can find that, try finding the cabin air filter, which needs to be changed every 18,000. If you find that, find the oil drain plug. It does exactly what it sounds like, and you need to be able to take that off every 7,000 miles. Those are the simple things, just routine maintenance. That's an illustration of how another, simpler car would be a much better match. Honestly, I would go with anything somewhat older and Japanese-made. You can find some pretty quick rice-burners for pretty cheap. They'll be reliable, easy to fix, most likely have 4 seats, and get great gas mileage.

EDIT:

Here's edmund's True Cost to Own- 2005 Chrysler Crossfire True Cost to Own ratings at Edmunds

Granted that's based on if someone bought it new in 2005 (All years are the same, except the 2005 which had the auto-dimming mirror). Just subtract financing and depreciation. Or better yet, just look at the fuel costs per year. It'll cost the price of the car in 3-4 years.
Seriously what's crawled up your *** dude? The limited crossfire gets great gas mileage. Best gas mileage I have ever gotten out of all the cars I've ever owned. This has also been a farely simple car to work on. It's just an engine and so long as you do a little research you won't spend all that much money on it. Yeah you may pay out the rear for an oil change, but that's because it uses 0W40 Oil. I can't quite figure why you don't want this kid to get this car. It's not like it's a difficult car to drive, infact I can't think of a time when I had the car out of shape. Compared to other cars he can get, it's probably one of the safer cars. You keep suggesting he get a car with a back seat, but then that means he'll have more passengers to keep him distracted.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
I dont know what kind of insurance you are getting for only $70.00 a month, Im 71 and I know my full coverage is more than that, I doubt if a 16 year old can get car insurance less than a adult.
My 2cents
Well, I dont' know. I have the XF and a pickup on Cotton States insurance for just under $70 a month. (Minimal coverage on the truck and discount cause I drive a company truck to work, so no commuter miles, but then, I'm 51 with no accidents and a credit rating of close to 800.)

But just watch it, kid. As has been said before - if you are primary driver and have a claim, you better be LISTED as the primary driver. We went thru this with my DUI-prone younger brother years ago... mom and dad almost lost all their insurance over that little "white lie". It pays to play by the rules.

I won't discourage you from the XF, but I WILL ask you (or really your parents) to really consider the financial implications of the XF. I actually LIKE the idea there is no room for four or five teenagers in the car! Distractions kill as many teens as booze.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Wait. Find a better deal. I am 17 and purchased my BLK '04 6 months ago with 23k miles for 7grand.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darn, I thought I was easy. There is reality to deal with here and I would hate to see the young man get financially ruined before he gets started.

Speaking of first cars I bought my first car at 15 back in 19xx (don't ask, don't tell) but I digress, it was a lovely 5 window 1932 Ford coupe with a 48 Mercury flathead, 2 carbs and a lovely 39 Ford transmission with the long curved shifter with the real 8-ball that almost reached the top. The body had been channeled about 8 inches (for you non hot rod types, that lowering the body over the frame rails, thus lowering the car). I paid $300.00 for that car. I saved for 2 years working as a soda jerk for 50 cents per hour and as I handed over my $300 to the previous owner, my Dad just shook his head and was muttering something as we began the trip home. I think it was not a nice thing he was muttering, something about terminating me with a screwdriver .. I think.

Anyway, the point is I had dreamed of this car, I had seen cars like it in all the issues of Hot Rod and I had to have one of my very own. Dad really tried to warn me of the headaches I was facing, but I was 15 and I knew all the answers. As I look back, I really didn't have a clue as to what the questions were. This car broke me, I had no idea of what it would take to replace the wooden Coke cartons with real seats, no idea of how much wasn't done on the car and how much it would cost to get it to a presentable condition.

I really never realized how smart Dad was, until I got much, much older and now that I look back, it was my dream car, but God, that was one ugly car.

Last edited by vpats; 07-13-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Wow did you buy it from a dealer or a privet person

Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by caldacow
Wait. Find a better deal. I am 17 and purchased my BLK '04 6 months ago with 23k miles for 7grand.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Forum Regular

If he bought it from a dealer then there was something wrong with the car. A dealer WILL NOT sell a car on the street for less money than he can get at the auction---why would he? There are auctions in every city---every week. That car would have brought over $10,500 at the sale maybe more. I sell cars and here are all the 04's that have sold in last 35 days. If it was private, I would still be surprised---it would have been the cheapest in the nation at that price. Just look on Autotrader.com.

06/23/10 DENVER Regular $11,000 29,641 Above WHITE 6G P Yes
07/02/10 MANHEIM Regular $10,400 34,300 Above RED 6G A Yes
07/02/10 AYCOCK Regular $8,600 38,910 Avg GRAY 6G M Yes
06/23/10 NASHVILL Regular $10,000 39,466 Above RED 6G A Yes
06/15/10 RIVRSIDE Lease $8,100 40,695 Avg PA4 GRY 6G A Yes
06/24/10 FRDKBURG Lease $9,200 40,900 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
07/09/10 MANHEIM Regular $8,500 48,107 Avg GRAY 6G A Yes
06/16/10 DENVER Regular $9,600 49,518 Avg BLUE 6G 6 Yes
07/08/10 MANHEIM Regular $10,200 49,698 Above RED 6G A Yes
06/30/10 NEWBRGH Regular $8,000 50,684 Avg RED 6G 6 Yes
06/17/10 W PALM Regular $8,100 54,154 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
06/22/10 FAAO Regular $9,900 54,156 Avg BLUE 6G A Yes
06/30/10 DALLAS Regular $10,600 55,986 Above WHITE 6G A Yes
06/16/10 MINNEAP Regular $9,000 56,600 Avg RED 6G A Yes
07/07/10 NADE Lease $5,900 58,206 Below GREY 6G A No
07/09/10 MANHEIM Regular $7,900 65,645 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
06/24/10 FRESNO Regular $8,000 68,656 Avg RED 6G A Yes
07/08/10 GTR TMPA Lease $8,000 69,547 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
06/23/10 SEATTLE Regular $7,100 70,322 Avg COPPER 6G A Yes
06/16/10 NADE Regular $6,500 81,072 Below WHITE 6G A Yes
06/15/10 FAAO Lease $4,100 81,560 Below GRAY 6G 6 No
06/16/10 HRSNBURG Lease $6,100 90,560 Below BLACK 6G 6 Yes
06/22/10 GTR TUSC Regular $8,000 90,634 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
06/29/10 DAL DLRS Regular $7,200 96,709 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
06/17/10 ATLANTA Regular $7,100 110,360 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
07/08/10 FRDKBURG Regular $5,900 112,550 Below LT BLUE 6G A Yes

I just went to look at a "deal" an 04 with 35k for $10,900. The car had been hit on three corners and painted ALL over. Yes, low miles. Yes, clean Carfax. But the car was not worth the money in my opinion---too many good ones out there.

Last edited by JimmyJames; 07-13-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyJames

06/23/10 DENVER Regular $11,000 29,641 Above WHITE 6G P Yes
07/02/10 MANHEIM Regular $10,400 34,300 Above RED 6G A Yes
07/02/10 AYCOCK Regular $8,600 38,910 Avg GRAY 6G M Yes
06/23/10 NASHVILL Regular $10,000 39,466 Above RED 6G A Yes
06/15/10 RIVRSIDE Lease $8,100 40,695 Avg PA4 GRY 6G A Yes
06/24/10 FRDKBURG Lease $9,200 40,900 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
07/09/10 MANHEIM Regular $8,500 48,107 Avg GRAY 6G A Yes
06/16/10 DENVER Regular $9,600 49,518 Avg BLUE 6G 6 Yes
07/08/10 MANHEIM Regular $10,200 49,698 Above RED 6G A Yes
06/30/10 NEWBRGH Regular $8,000 50,684 Avg RED 6G 6 Yes
06/17/10 W PALM Regular $8,100 54,154 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
06/22/10 FAAO Regular $9,900 54,156 Avg BLUE 6G A Yes
06/30/10 DALLAS Regular $10,600 55,986 Above WHITE 6G A Yes
06/16/10 MINNEAP Regular $9,000 56,600 Avg RED 6G A Yes
07/07/10 NADE Lease $5,900 58,206 Below GREY 6G A No
07/09/10 MANHEIM Regular $7,900 65,645 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
06/24/10 FRESNO Regular $8,000 68,656 Avg RED 6G A Yes
07/08/10 GTR TMPA Lease $8,000 69,547 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
06/23/10 SEATTLE Regular $7,100 70,322 Avg COPPER 6G A Yes
06/16/10 NADE Regular $6,500 81,072 Below WHITE 6G A Yes
06/15/10 FAAO Lease $4,100 81,560 Below GRAY 6G 6 No
06/16/10 HRSNBURG Lease $6,100 90,560 Below BLACK 6G 6 Yes
06/22/10 GTR TUSC Regular $8,000 90,634 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
06/29/10 DAL DLRS Regular $7,200 96,709 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
06/17/10 ATLANTA Regular $7,100 110,360 Avg WHITE 6G A Yes
07/08/10 FRDKBURG Regular $5,900 112,550 Below LT BLUE 6G A Yes
Those are CROSSFIRES?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Those are CROSSFIRES?
Yes pizzaguy---all 04's that have sold at auction in the last 35 days. You will need to add a buyers fee of $200 to 250 plus any transportation and reconditioning like tires, brakes, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Seriously what's crawled up your *** dude? The limited crossfire gets great gas mileage. Best gas mileage I have ever gotten out of all the cars I've ever owned. This has also been a farely simple car to work on. It's just an engine and so long as you do a little research you won't spend all that much money on it. Yeah you may pay out the rear for an oil change, but that's because it uses 0W40 Oil. I can't quite figure why you don't want this kid to get this car. It's not like it's a difficult car to drive, infact I can't think of a time when I had the car out of shape. Compared to other cars he can get, it's probably one of the safer cars. You keep suggesting he get a car with a back seat, but then that means he'll have more passengers to keep him distracted.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't turn this into a flame thread.

No, the XF does not get good gas mileage. You may get good gas mileage the way you drive, but do you think a teenager with a leadfoot is going to? The XF is rated at 17 city/ 25-ish highway. Highway is pretty decent (I can get around 28), but I get a lot worse in the city- about 13 mpg and I don't mash the pedal when I drive. If I drive mostly highway with the cruise set on 70, I can squeeze out just over 300-320 miles out of one tank. That's good FOR A SPORTS CAR, not an everyday driver. My boat of a Buick got better mileage than that.

And yes, this is a fairly simple car to work on. I was thinking that the other day when I had the center console out to replace the mirror switch, when I was lubing the spoiler, or when I had the door panel off to clean out the broken glass from when my car got broken into. I've found it very easy compared to other cars to work on it. This doesn't mean it's not expensive to fix. It's a Mercedes, and so are most of the parts (which usually means expensive). If you can find a mechanical or electrical component that doesn't have a MB emblem stamped on it, please show it to me. I haven't seen one yet. Even a lot of plastic panels have the MB symbol.

Yes it's a safe car, yes it's a good car, yes less people in the car means less distractions, but it's still not practical. The XF isn't a gecko either. I've gotten the rear end out making a right turn plenty of times on dry pavement. No, I don't push it, but in first gear, it can get squirrelly on you quick. ESPECIALLY in the snow. We get plenty of snow and ice here, and if he gets it where he is, on A/S tires it's going to for him too. Some people can't afford an extra set of wheels for the winter. I can't, and I'm sure he can't too.

Why I'm trying to convince him not to buy and XF is because he asked if we thought he should buy one. I think he shouldn't, so I'm telling him why not.

Basically, what I'm saying is this car is impractical and most likely way too expensive for someone his age. You can agree with me or not, but don't start flaming. No one was calling you names or insulting your opinions. Calm yourself.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-13-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Bought it from private party.. with major service just done and 4 brand new tires.. Satellite radio and new speakers all around.. only thing was that one fog light was cracked (120 bucks fixed it)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caldacow
Bought it from private party.. with major service just done and 4 brand new tires.. Satellite radio and new speakers all around.. only thing was that one fog light was cracked (120 bucks fixed it)
You got one great deal on this car!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyJames
You got one great deal on this car!!!!!!!
Damn you can say that again

Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, hey, hey. Don't turn this into a flame thread.

No, the XF does not get good gas mileage. You may get good gas mileage the way you drive, but do you think a teenager with a leadfoot is going to? The XF is rated at 17 city/ 25-ish highway. Highway is pretty decent (I can get around 28), but I get a lot worse in the city- about 13 mpg and I don't mash the pedal when I drive. If I drive mostly highway with the cruise set on 70, I can squeeze out just over 300-320 miles out of one tank. That's good FOR A SPORTS CAR, not an everyday driver. My boat of a Buick got better mileage than that.

And yes, this is a fairly simple car to work on. I was thinking that the other day when I had the center console out to replace the mirror switch, when I was lubing the spoiler, or when I had the door panel off to clean out the broken glass from when my car got broken into. I've found it very easy compared to other cars to work on it. This doesn't mean it's not expensive to fix. It's a Mercedes, and so are most of the parts (which usually means expensive). If you can find a mechanical or electrical component that doesn't have a MB emblem stamped on it, please show it to me. I haven't seen one yet. Even a lot of plastic panels have the MB symbol.

Yes it's a safe car, yes it's a good car, yes less people in the car means less distractions, but it's still not practical. The XF isn't a gecko either. I've gotten the rear end out making a right turn plenty of times on dry pavement. No, I don't push it, but in first gear, it can get squirrelly on you quick. ESPECIALLY in the snow. We get plenty of snow and ice here, and if he gets it where he is, on A/S tires it's going to for him too. Some people can't afford an extra set of wheels for the winter. I can't, and I'm sure he can't too.

Why I'm trying to convince him not to buy and XF is because he asked if we thought he should buy one. I think he shouldn't, so I'm telling him why not.

Basically, what I'm saying is this car is impractical and most likely way too expensive for someone his age. You can agree with me or not, but don't start flaming. No one was calling you names or insulting your opinions. Calm yourself.
So it takes you 5 posts to make your point that he shouldn't purchase the car because he's 15? Really I'm tired of seeing people jump on other forum members because they're young. I don't find Mercedes parts all that more expensive than american parts and I definitely don't find them more expensive than Japanese parts. I'm sorry if it seems Like I'm flaming you but beating on a new member that doesn't deserve it.

Quick Reply: Should I buy