Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

...and to all a Goodnight

Old 03-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...and to all a Goodnight

Well, after being one of the first Crossfire owners in Texas (had mine since July) and certainly one of the early posters of this forum, it's time to bid fairwell.

The Crossfire is a WONDERFUL car and I probably will never get more attention in a car than I did in that Crossfire (except maybe a Ferarri). I'm one of those people that trades cars too often and always takes a hit on depreciation (let's face it after 8 months, what do you expect). I found it interesting that will the rebates out and the new $29K Xfire coming out, I really took it in the shorts this time. The going price (and I checked with about 7 dealers, and they all were within $500,) is about $25K on a used auto (mine only had 2600 miles). I found a dealer that did not know about the new ones coming out or rebates and he gave me $27500 (which in my mind is great, considering some here are buying new ones (albeit 5spds) for about $1000 more). It's too bad that DCX did not put more effort into the Xfire (just from a pricing standpoint). I hate to see such a great car lose such a large amount of $--but again I'm just stating facts--not looking for an arguement.

Early adopters always take a gamble, and I will continue to do so in the future, but there is always a price to pay (as long as you come into the game with your eyes wide open). I wish all good luck, and I've enjoyed the banter that this forum has provided.

Take care...

Old 03-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular

... and the new vehicle of choice is?

:shock:

Old 03-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular

A 350Z

JUST kidding :shock: . Actually, for work purposes and the traveling I do, I got a new SUV to be a everyday long haul vehicle....

Old 03-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

haha good one.

What kinda SUV?

Maybe you should have considered a truck, kinda like this one

Oh yeah.. Viper inside What a blast!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Forum Regular

Wow, that's a sweet ride!

I bought a new '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (again just need something for trips until the car thing hits me again) with a V8, leather, sunroof. It was interesting, because I negotiated $750 below INVOICE + $3500 rebate (got a $32K vehicle for $24400). The body style slightly changes for the '05, so I'm sure that's why the great deal. Interesting doing the car buying thing (as it always is), because the spread was anywhere from $600 OVER invoice from one fleet dept, to the deal I got through another fleet dept for $750 UNDER invoice. The best part, no taxes, because my trade was more than the vehicle I bought :lol: .

Old 03-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Forum Regular

Back in December, I got my friend and his wife a Jeep GC. Saved them almost 8k. I was able to give out one of my employee choice numbers.

You are right, with the newer models coming out, they are throwing some great incentives on the GC lineup. I've taken a few down to New orleans and back. The 18 - 20mpg @ 90mph + is quite nice.

The SRT 10 is lucky to see 8.5 :lol: Maybe its the driver? ops: :wink:

Old 03-23-2004, 10:51 AM

Hey Tex, sorry to see you go. I've enjoyed your posts and you helped keep the wires burning on this Forum, especially in the early days. Thanks for all your imput and comments. Helped me a lot.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodluck Tex! Jeeps are good vehicles. Break out the zaino when you get it home!

Old 03-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular

ctech -

Funny you should say that, this weekend she will be getting two coats of Zaino :lol: :lol:

Old 03-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Default I'm ready to say goodbye

:( I'm into my 5th month of waiting for parts to get my Crossfire back from the body shop. I was rear-ended Nov. 15. Chrysler still can't get me back on the road. All I want is to get it back and trade it for something else. Maybe a 350Z. But I want a car that doesn't spend half a year in the shop. I'm so dissapointed! I really loved this car, best as I can recall.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Default Re: I'm ready to say goodbye

Originally Posted by xfire27
I'm into my 5th month of waiting for parts to get my Crossfire back from the body shop. I was rear-ended Nov. 15. Chrysler still can't get me back on the road. All I want is to get it back and trade it for something else. Maybe a 350Z. But I want a car that doesn't spend half a year in the shop. I'm so dissapointed! I really loved this car, best as I can recall.
You know... with replacement parts all over the back end, you may take a bath bigtime if someone's looking real close when you go to sell/trade it. Or runs the VIN through one of those crash history systems.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Forum Regular

Oh God,

I thought the resale comments were finally going to stop.......

Let make it official:

When you trade in your car, it will not be worth as much as when you bought it, OK?

So the soultion is to keep it for a long long time!

Drive it until it dies and then take one of those deals you hear on the radio where they will give you $3,000 no matter what you trade in, or how you get it onto the lot!!!!

There you go! I just made you $3K for a dead car!!!!! What a deal!!!!

Now as far as xfire27's problems, can't any of the D/C people on the forum help this guy???? I would be way more than pissed if my car was sitting in the body shop for 5+ months....

Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 PM

We have probably the first "totalled" Crossfire in the counrty at my dealership... sad story indeed. An older man parked in our lot. When backing his full size van out- he pressed the accelerator instead of the gas! 9k to his van... 8k to a 2003 Ram.. 1k to one CF... 16k to a 2nd CF!!!! This happened 2+ months ago and insurance still has not settled this one out.

I did some of the estimating for this vehicle and nearly every body part was on NBO. Chrsyler did a bang up job of making sure "common" parts would be available, but rare parts like sheet metal/trim/splash sheilds... forget it... National Back Order!

Now we can expedite through normal procedures any part for a vehicle... It costs 15% premium on retail price PLUS shipping. Not bad no? Except when you consider a priority part is shipped Next Day Air...

Now imagine an 80.00 body panel.. now its 92.00 plus 60.00 shipping. What insurance company is goin to pay 152.00 for an 80.00 part????

So is there a way to circumvent this for a car that was wrecked? I do not know of any. I have been through this with a couple of CFs for damaged wheels.. Luckily for a single item the insurance companys agreed in both cases to pay the aditional costs. So- at this point my conclusion

1) There is a way to expedite shipping. It is not cheap.
2) You should pressure your insurance company to pay this premium! They will, and have in the past at my dealership.
3) Yes- more parts should be available. I do not know the logistics involved... But I would chock this up to a learning experience of buying a first run automobile. (Before everyone bashes me on this one... When was the last OTHER vehicle YOU purchases that simply did not exist last year?!? Yes its a MB... But it shares NO body panels. These are the same logistical problems that ALL manufacturers face on first year run autos... I dont care if its lexus, BMW, MB, Audi...)

Old 03-25-2004, 11:28 PM

All of the above is true, but what a screwup on Daimlers-Chryslers part. This a their showcase car. Their customers should be showing off their cars, as I did until the accident. When possible buyers do a little research and stumble on this forum will they still be buyers? Anyone buying a first year car might expect more delay than usual, but this is a major blunder. Why would anyone risk losing their car for 6 months from a 6 week accident. I only wish my car sustained greater damage so I could have just purchased a new one months ago. With the cost of rentals cars I now nearly exceed the amount to total the car. If I only knew.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

I think D/C should take a few unsold cars apart and make them available for parts....

D/C should make this right for this guy by eating the extra costs for their logisitcal problems!!!

Old 03-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular

I think D/C should take a few unsold cars apart and make them available for parts....

D/C should make this right for this guy by eating the extra costs for their logisitcal problems!!!

Old 03-26-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jsisabella

I thought the exact thing when I was waiting for my tire... take one off the showroom models, put it on my car and replace theirs when the new one came in.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:44 PM

Funny you should suggest that... I just received a rim for a curb damage claim. It had obviously had a tire mounted to it. The rim/tire was disassembled to ship rims for the demand here in the states.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:49 PM

I thought the exact thing when I was waiting for my tire... take one off the showroom models, put it on my car and replace theirs when the new one came in.[/quote]

Well, that's what happened to me. I complained that my Crossfire was missing two valve caps. The salesman said they were available at Walmart, I responded "I want my Crossfire to be all Crossfire", so he reached down and took two off a showroom model and gave them to me. Probably that was why mine were missing......

Old 03-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

Those valve caps are actually the antenna for the TPM wheel sensors.Last time I checked Walmart didn't stock them! :roll:

Quick Reply: ...and to all a Goodnight