Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rear Differential

Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Differential

Hi,

I already replaced the rear end Differential on my car in April 08. Now it starting to make the same noise again.

Took it to the dealer today, they needed to change out the rear end again, but there are none to be found in the US. I guess Chrysler is not stocking them anymore.

So now they will be changing out just the bearings. Not putting in a new unit. Do I need to be "Really" worried about my car? My 70,000 warranty is up next March.

Is there another extended warranty that can be purchased after next March?

I really worried that this will happen again, and on my dime. Estimate to do this is around $3,000.00.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cruiser; 07-29-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Rear Differential

Have you been doing drag racing or hard driving? Id really love to see any photos of your differential and hear about details relating to the failure cause or part loss.

THe SRT rear that I examined had the spider gears gaul the pin and shear the retention pin. The pin has a flat side on it that allows lubrication to enter the spider gear / pin area. Please see the photo of the endo of the pin in the differential case.

I believe that the use of synthetic oil in the differential can reduce the incidence to gaul the metal surfaces. Synthetics are stable and do not charr as easily as standard oil. I used synthetic rear lube at the factory recommended viscosity, and I believe that it was something like 75/90 weight, though I cant be sure without checking the books.

Your problem finding a rear is very understandable and you might consider the 1100$ wavetec differential carrier as an alternate to the factory rear. We are all going to have to consider where parts come from if the factory can not supply them. THats why I switched to supporting the diff buy and put my credit car down to secure one.

Woody, please let us know the problem with your rear, carrier bearings, spiders, axle gears or ring and pinion. Thanks.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle.../DSCN30941.JPG
Pin end showing the oil passage ( flat area) that lubes the spiders and PIN.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...m/DSCN3098.JPG
Gaulled pin that holds and twists the spiders in the rear. Note that wear is on the outer end of the pin due to deformation of the pin under loading against the spider gear.

I do not know of one oil for the diff. over though others will have data to share. Woody

Last edited by waldig; 07-28-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Default Re: Rear Differential

Hi,

I drive my car normal. I'm older and don't drag race it...darn it! I will ask my service guy if he will take pictures and do a write up, of what he found to be wrong. To see if it's the same as last time. He remember's my car, and recalls the last change out.

As for the fluids, I take it to the same dealer for all oil changes, and they mark down that they have check all the fluids....but did catch them in a lie 2 years ago. It seems I had the oil changed, rear end started making noise, took it in, they said the fluid was Black. Charge me $100.00 to change it out.

So 2 weeks after that I took it back, I guess they thought new fluid would make the noise go away. So when they put in the new rear end, I made them give me back that $100.00.

I showed them where the mechanic had signed off that the fluid was just fine, to then have the guy changing out the rear end tell me that, that area is hard to get to, and he bet they had never checked it ever!

Today, the service writter asked me if I had check the fluid, and I looked at him and told him that was their job, not mine! I pay dearly for those oil changes and their 20 point check her out section....

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my biggest issue with the crossfire. Most of the parts for this car come directly from Karmann and MB, parts have been on backorder for ages and it doesnt seem to be letting off.
I guess chrylser is just ignoring that a dealer has to supply parts for a vehicle for 10 years... I've been waiting almost a year just for a bumper and foglight :/

Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite
I guess chrylser is just ignoring that a dealer has to supply parts for a vehicle for 10 years...
Chrysler is ignoring it because it isn't true.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Now it starting to make the same noise again."

What's the noise. All the time, or intermittent, etc.?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LugNut
"Now it starting to make the same noise again."

What's the noise. All the time, or intermittent, etc.?

It's a heavy humming noise after I get to about 20 miles per hour.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Rear Differential

THat could be carrier bearing, the big bearings that are on the side or end of the carrier. Does the noise change when you make VERY SLIGHT left or right steering corrections while maintaining a constant load / speed of flat grades?

THat changes the side loading and thus the possible tone of the rear noise pointing to the big external carrier bearings. https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle.../DSCN31082.JPG

IF you jack the rear up safely and run up the wheel speed you should hear the noise if it is wheel bearings. Safety is left to the student to maintain in this adventure, and you lose points on the exam if you get under a running car!!!!!!!!! If you have survived that one, the wheel bearings are just inboard of the brake rotors....and your spotter / assistant may be able to hear which one/side is snafu.

Speaking of inboard do you know what POSH is all about??? Unrelated ditty, POSH is an abbreviation for PORT OUT and STARBOARD HOME, in the atlantic it puts your cabin on the shady side of the ocean liner ........Now thats good for the water cooler quiz fest tomorrow.

Having fun Woody

Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Woody, your so sweet to help me. But I'm a girl!

The noise does not change when I turn the wheel either way. The guy going to change out the bearings, had it up on the hoist, not sure what he did, but came back with, the bearings need to be replaced.

But I will take him your reply for him to look at. You just might know more than him, since he replaced the whole unit last time, and had told me, he has never been inside one of these units before.

Makes me crazy, but he is a great guy to work with, and is on my side.....The heck with who he works for, their the agency that told me their mechanics couldn't go over 65 to test the car, so he and I took it out and were going 90...

Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM

This is my biggest issue with the crossfire. Most of the parts for this car come directly from Karmann and MB, parts have been on backorder for ages and it doesnt seem to be letting off.
I guess chrylser is just ignoring that a dealer has to supply parts for a vehicle for 10 years... I've been waiting almost a year just for a bumper and foglight :/

Hi,

I was telling my son about how long you have waited for that bumper.

He has an old car that needed a bumper. And was referred to this group, and they got him one and it was like brand new. Were not sure if it came off a wreched car, but whatever they did, it looked new.

You might give them a call...

The Bumper Warehouse,Inc.
604 Galveston Street
West Sacramento, CA 85691

Phone # 1-916-371-5555

Or call them to see if there are any groups in your area like them. I'm sure they all know each other.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
I was under the impression that it certainly was the case

Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
read the books, a dealer must support a car with a parts supply for 10 years with replacement parts. Thats true of all dealers.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

read the books, a dealer must support a car with a parts supply for 10 years with replacement parts. Thats true of all dealers.
that is true of all "manufacturer's" not dealers.....now manufacturers aren't always current with the parts that are ordered by their dealers...that is the problem....

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM

That the law dictates they, or the manufacturers must have replacement parts for any given model for 10 years? I am fairly certain that is a myth. What books are you suggesting I read?

I've been in the car business since the mid-90's. Worked for a major OEM parts wholesaler for a good bit of time (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi & Volkswagen). I seem to recall that coming up (or some people say it's 7 years) on occasion, but was always told it was not true.

After several different Google searches, I am unable to come up with any reference to a law requiring manufacturers to have replacement parts available, for any period of time.

It's dictated by the market. They will make whatever they can sell.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 AM

for example, if today my car had an ecu go bad. the dealer is required by federal law, to replace the unit at no cost, since its part of the emissions system. hard parts are supposed to be stocked...

Chrysler isn't making ***** for our cars, at all.. I've been waiting a year for a foglight and front bumper, plus the foam.... Everytime I go back to the dealer the date just keeps moving further and further back.

When my car was tapped by dumb ***** not paying attention, it took them 6 months to repair my car.... all they did was fix 1 scratch and blend a panel... know what took so long? They could not find a replacement wheel anywhere in the country.

I'm gald I havent had a serious issue, like say, a differential (although I know where one is, not through a dealer) or something like a wiring problem because i'm willing to bet if i went to the dealer right now, they wouldnt have anything nor would they have a commitment date for the backorder to end.

Thats the main reason why I'm selling mine, I'm tired of needing parts I can never seem to get. Plus the dealers are a joke, they dont know anything about this car. I can imagine trying to get parts/service 5 years down the road is going to be damn near impossible because Karmann and MB don't want to deal with Chrysler due to lack of funds/paying who they owe. Plus the dealers will phase out service, I know a lot of dealers across the country already have.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
that is true of all "manufacturer's" not dealers.....now manufacturers aren't always current with the parts that are ordered by their dealers...that is the problem....
i was getting the words mixed up, lol. typing while tired = weird things coming from the keyboard

Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 PM

for example, if today my car had an ecu go bad. the dealer is required by federal law, to replace the unit at no cost, since its part of the emissions system. hard parts are supposed to be stocked...
I could see there being a federal law requiring availability of emissions systems parts, but I don't think the government would give a rats *** whether or not you can find a new fender, door skin or bumper cover.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Question!

Since this is the second time I need the rear end worked on, and they only guarantee their work for 12 months, and my 7yr/70,000 runs out next March, shoudl I call Chrysler to see what they would do if this happens after the warranty is over?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Question!

Since this is the second time I need the rear end worked on, and they only guarantee their work for 12 months, and my 7yr/70,000 runs out next March, shoudl I call Chrysler to see what they would do if this happens after the warranty is over?
Chrysler won't do anything when the warranty is over.