Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Performance: Auto vs. Manual

Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance: Auto vs. Manual

What are the respective speeds of the automatic and the manual? I know the manual 6-speed can hit the quarter in 14.7, but I get the impression that the automatic is significantly slower, well into the 15's. Does anyone know the quarter mile time and the 0-60 of the automatic Crossfire?

Old 03-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Forum Regular

Dang... okay, that's what I figured.

Hrmm, makes the decision harder. I like manual, but automatic is such a luxury... and the unusually higher gas mileage for the automatic is interesting, too.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the numbers WMichaels got in his testing, it appears that Motortrend test with with the traction control on. Better times with the auto are easily attained by turning off the t/c. Read the "Getting Chipped" thread in the Tech forum.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autostick all the way. I couldn't imagine a german luxury sports car without Auto. I drove a Boxter once and the manual transmission was such a labor and Ive owned many manual cars. Crossfire is plenty fast and no one will race me yet. Ive passed a 350Z Roadster the other day and the guy just stared and didn't even hit the gas...! He had a 'What the heck was that" look. 8)

Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

I've raced a Crossfire to 60mph once in my RSX (0-60mph in 6.7 seconds) and beat him by a couple car lengths, so the 7.1 seconds from Motor Trend seems accurate for the autostick. The guy probably didn't turn off his traction control, either...

The better gas mileage and the ease of an auto are really tempting. I hear that the manual in the Crossfire is really clunky and resistive, too.

I've kind of grown out of the desire for speed somewhat, too. But 7.1 seconds is ludicrous if it is true.

And I have read the chipped thread, 5.7 seconds to 58mph with a chip and new filter. Sounds good.

Someone needs to get the Apexi OBDII dyno tool. It gives you dyno readouts and times you to 60 and a quarter mile just by plugging it into the OBD II port. Just get on the interstate, put the car in 4th gear, the device will beep at you to hit the throttle and then give you a readout of peak hp. Or you can get AutoEnginuity's tool that connects to a laptop and will burp out graphs and such for you. Forget finding a dynamometer.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Old 03-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James Sonne
I hear that the manual in the Crossfire is really clunky and resistive, too.
There are threads here on that too

Can't remember now if it was short throw shifter, long clutch, or long throw shifter, short clutch, but whatever it was people bitched a LOT about the 1>2 shift, but after that 2>6 were reported to be fine.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:35 AM

I've raced a Crossfire to 60mph once in my RSX (0-60mph in 6.7 seconds) and beat him by a couple car lengths, so the 7.1 seconds from Motor Trend seems accurate for the autostick. The guy probably didn't turn off his traction control, either...
not only the TC... I'm sure he just might not have been trying... or was a bad racer...

that autostick is EXTREMELY efficient ... actually it should be FASTER then the manual shifting wise if you are shifting properly with the autostick...

I destroyed a RX8 about a month ago... why? he had no idea what he was doing... I've pulled away from a few mustang's... blew a GTI turbo outta the water.... just know what your doing ... use a little Brian O'Conner School of Driving (Anyone catch that plug?) and that is all you will need....

on top of that by the way WM has been doing his test... looks like his car would punish your RSX ... he beats a lot bigger cars on the race track then that... so I will trust a SCCA driver that the Xfire has more then enough potential to stomp on a lot of "ricers"....

Old 03-30-2004, 06:08 AM

You're right, the traction control will really wipeout any hope for a strong launch off the line.

Did he know you were racing before you nailed the throttle?

Old 03-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah, we both knew. I revved, he looked, I nodded ahead, he nodded. We went.

The autostick should never be faster than a manual because the autostick is just a tiptronic setup, not sequential. tiptronic autos are far too complex so they leech a lot of the horsepower from the engine. It may be faster than someone that doesn't know how to drive manual, but a manual transmission is far less complex and as such provides more power through the transaxel to the wheels.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:41 AM

Since I did the Upsolute chip last week my tranny is very quick shifting and very crisp. I'm also getting 5.7 sec. 0 - 60 times. No 6 speed (stock) will mess with that. Got to chip it to keep up. :lol: Oh and the K&Ns help a little too. :P

This is one nice auto-stick!!!

This auto-stick would have fun with that RSX. :lol:

With only 160 hp in the RSX I think you found a sick Xfire even it it did have an auto trans. or it had someone that doesn't know how to drive.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Forum Regular

But the RSX weighs 300 pounds less and has a much broader power-band, and smaller and lighter wheels which give it a much more aggressive gearing.

I don't know what to tell you, maybe it was a manual and the guy didn't know anything about driving... or maybe it was new and he decided he didn't want to drop the clutch or redline it. Plenty of possibilities. I do not doubt that the crossfire is faster.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Whatever it has (unless it's on a bottle or mod.ed with a turbo.....But that would kill the life spam of the engine) I would love to see someone in an RSX try their luck against this Crossfire 5 speed. :P It will get it's feelings hurt.... Bad!!!

Old 03-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

The RSX Type-S will whoop a Crossfire stock to stock with little effort. The Crossfire will take it to 60mph, but the RSX will fly by about a hundred feet before the quarter mile is up. An 8600 RPM rev limiter is useful. Type S does 14.6 in the quarter with a competent driver, stock. Put some sticky tires on that thing and you've got 14.4 easily.

Of course, speed is a very small piece of the overall pie. If I wanted speed I would buy an STi. Instead I have the 160hp RSX and get 42mpg on the interstate and pay very little for insurance. I want to step up to something better, though... something more fun, something slightly frivolous, something with refinement... the Crossfire spoke my name.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:11 PM

You may be right.... But it's just one of those things that I will have to see to believe. I guess I've been an aeronautical engineer for too many years to trust theory. Just because it sounds good on paper doesn't mean it will transfer to reality.

The tests I've done with my car... Stock and modified, don't come up with the same numbers (not even close) that Road & Track posted for the auto.

So, until I see it I will be a skeptic.

I will be taking mine to the 1/4 mile in June. I'll see what the 1/4 mile times are then.

I've also got a local dyno guy working on finding a way to get a full dyno pull on this thing. Then I will have real/hard numbers. (Again it's the engineer in me)

Old 03-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular

If you want to dyno your car then buy this:
http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM

That looks like it does the same thing as a G-Tech pro Comp.

I've been looking at those.

I don't think they are as accurate as a dyno. though.

I'll look at this one too.... Thanks.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular

They are pretty accurate, actually. Someone I know did several Dynoes on a dynamometer and then used this gig, and they were within 1% accurate, which could have just been from the temperature difference throughout the day. You just have to make sure you use the best gear for a proper 1:1 ratio.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM

Unless it is a high horsepower vehicle, such as a Vette, a manual will typicaly be at least 1/2 second faster to 60, no matter how much guys that drive autos wish otherwise.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymond
............, no matter how much guys that drive autos wish otherwise.

Ive owned 7 manual cars since 92 and im sick of 'em. Sure, you can work the clutch to get a little extra boost when racing but I really love german automatic transmissions. Mine 'automatically' shifts faster than a manual with precision (No clunky shifter here) Im with Bobafettm and WMichaels on this one :!:

Quick Reply: Performance: Auto vs. Manual