Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

chrysler turbine car?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrysler turbine car?

did anyone know this car existed, google it and you'll notice the 3 lines on the fender like the xfire, you got to love it, ps i think my crossfire is getting repossed any day now cause i cant afford the 500$ month payment that ive been paying for the last 2 years

Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Re: chrysler turbine car?

I had a Grade school friend who's father owned the chrysler dealership in Ferguson/florrisant MO.
He had one for a while. Car was amazing. Sounding really cool and had all the bells and whistles. Back seat was HUGE! and so was the trunk.

Turbine concept was reflected in the tail lights as well.

Not quick off the line but entrance ramp and passing gear was very spirited.

I think all of them were Cream White or a metallic blue but on that memory I am fuzzier than normal. I was about 13 at the time.

Yeah, it ws real.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-23-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

there were two of them in south fl,, one on miami beach which i saw at least once a week, and the other in palm beach i think, got up close a few times, never got to drive it. I was 22 at the time saw it in 1963 in December and two or three times in 1964,then i went into the USAF. june 64

Old 08-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

timeless

Old 08-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Life is random...so am I.

There's one in the Chrysler museum. The gang that attended Woodward got to see it up close.

I think people were mostly put off by the ridiculous numbers on the RPM gauge....... people were used to V-8's turning 7000RPM max...... 50,000RPM was a whole new territory.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"However, if the car was "brake torqued" by holding the brakes and revving the turbine up to 50,000 rpm the 0-60 time was cut to 5 seconds."

Now THAT is a redline!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by OKC-XFR
"However, if the car was "brake torqued" by holding the brakes and revving the turbine up to 50,000 rpm the 0-60 time was cut to 5 seconds."

Now THAT is a redline!
Turbine engines would have put a whole different spin on Ethanol.

Sorry couldn't resist.

But imagine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-23-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
i think my crossfire is getting repossed any day now cause i cant afford the 500$ month payment that ive been paying for the last 2 years
Why would you let that happen? If you aren't already too late on your payments, call the finance company and tell them you need lower payments. They can refinance the balance of what you owe for a longer term and get your payments down considerably lower. It is essential to be PRO-active when dealing with finances.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Why would you let that happen? If you aren't already too late on your payments, call the finance company and tell them you need lower payments. They can refinance the balance of what you owe for a longer term and get your payments down considerably lower. It is essential to be PRO-active when dealing with finances.
Not sure how they take it back.... maybe I have watched too many movies where they come and actually get it. If that is true, I would just stash the car somewhere and make it dissapear!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Not sure how they take it back.... maybe I have watched too many movies where they come and actually get it. If that is true, I would just stash the car somewhere and make it dissapear!
Generally they come and get it.

If you let them, voluntarily, they charge you about $6K in fees plus you will still be obligated to pay off most of the loan as the car is sold wholesale for a salvage price.

If you hide it it's theft. They will charge you about $6K in fees plus you will still be obligated to pay off most of the loan as the car is sold wholesale for a salvage price.

No way to win here pal. Use Joliet John's advice.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
did anyone know this car existed, google it and you'll notice the 3 lines on the fender like the xfire, you got to love it, ps i think my crossfire is getting repossed any day now cause i cant afford the 500$ month payment that ive been paying for the last 2 years
How much do you owe on the car, You have options, if you can,t refinance you can wholesale the car.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 PM

When I was a kid there was one up the street at the Clinic.
A Dr. Casey was given one by Chrysler Motors to test I remember thinking it was pretty "Science Fiction" looking to us as kids...

Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a vidio of the chrysler turbine on you tube some where, and shows them scrapping them like crazy, and if I'm correct there's only 3 of them that still exist, with Jay Leno owning one of them.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Chrysler Turbine car has always been one of my favorite cars, and it wears my favorite color "Turbine Bronze". One of it's chief designers was Chuck Mashigan, who was responsible for the "port hole" window in the "Baby Birds", and was on the design team of the future T-Birds in the late 50's and early 60's. (Probably why the Chrysler Turbine Car looks so much like a T-Bird).
He then went to Chrysler, where he was instrumental in the Dodge A100 pick up design, as well as the Dodge Dart, and the Chrysler Turbine Car.
His next assignment took him to the design studios of American Motors where he penned the Tarpon (a prelude to the Marlin) and a few years later worked on the AMX design team.
As a matter of fact, I believe he was personally responsible for the design of the scoop sitting on my Crossfires hood (since it is nearly identical to the 1958/59/60 T-Bird scoop when viewed through the windshield).

Franc, When you mentioned the Turbine Cars being White, and Blue, I think you were thinking of the 1962 Plymouth Fury Turbine Car which was painted pearl white. The 1962 Dodge Polara Turbine Car was painted Metallic Blue.
All the Turbine Car "Fleet Cars" were painted "Turbine Bronze" except for one that was painted white and appeared in the movie titled "The Lively Set".
Here's a good web site:
Turbine Main Page - Turbinecar.com - 1963 Chrysler Turbine User

One look of the Turbine Cars interior, should explain why I like the Cedar/Slate in my Crossfire so much.

I had an opportunity to ride in the Chrysler Turbine Car when I was 13 years old. My Dad managed a Dodge dealer, and one of the "Fleet" of Turbine Cars was there for service. As I remember, it's performance left alot to be desired. My Dads's 318 Demo would run away from it. I seriously doubt if "Brake Torqueing would have cut it's 0 to 60 times in half.
They deliberately "tuned" the exhaust to make it sound like a Jet plane to attract lots of attention. It could have been produced with a much quieter exhaust.
I guess there were 9 cars saved from the scrap yard out of the original 50 or 55 cars built.
On a side note, I did my high school senior year science fair project on the Chrysler Turbine Engine. Got a B+, only because I didn't have a "working" model of the engine.

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-23-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
The Chrysler Turbine car has always been one of my favorite cars, and it wears my favorite color "Turbine Bronze". One of it's chief designers was Chuck Mashigan, who was responsible for the "port hole" window in the "Baby Birds", and was on the design team of the future T-Birds in the late 50's and early 60's. (Probably why the Chrysler Turbine Car looks so much like a T-Bird).
He then went to Chrysler, where he was instrumental in the Dodge A100 pick up design, as well as the Dodge Dart, and the Chrysler Turbine Car.
His next assignment took him to the design studios of American Motors where he penned the Tarpon (a prelude to the Marlin) and a few years later worked on the AMX design team.
As a matter of fact, I believe he was personally responsible for the design of the scoop sitting on my Crossfires hood (since it is nearly identical to the 1958/59/60 T-Bird scoop when viewed through the windshield).

Franc, When you mentioned the Turbine Cars being White, and Blue, I think you were thinking of the 1962 Plymouth Fury Turbine Car which was painted pearl white. The 1962 Dodge Polara Turbine Car was painted Metallic Blue.
All the Turbine Car "Fleet Cars" were painted "Turbine Bronze" except for one that was painted white and appeared in the movie titled "The Lively Set".
Here's a good web site:
Turbine Main Page - Turbinecar.com - 1963 Chrysler Turbine User

One look of the Turbine Cars interior, should explain why I like the Cedar/Slate in my Crossfire so much.

I had an opportunity to ride in the Chrysler Turbine Car when I was 13 years old. My Dad managed a Dodge dealer, and one of the "Fleet" of Turbine Cars was there for service. As I remember, it's performance left alot to be desired. My Dads's 318 Demo would run away from it. I seriously doubt if "Brake Torqueing would have cut it's 0 to 60 times in half.
They deliberately "tuned" the exhaust to make it sound like a Jet plane to attract lots of attention. It could have been produced with a much quieter exhaust.
I guess there were 9 cars saved from the scrap yard out of the original 50 or 55 cars built.
On a side note, I did my high school senior year science fair project on the Chrysler Turbine Engine. Got a B+, only because I didn't have a "working" model of the engine.
I knew those were the colors but I forgot about the color branding of that era. Thanks for clearing that up.

franc

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM

i still owe 20grand i got for 32grand, i've owned it for 2 years now, i should have leased it, i have to talk to the finance company 500 a month for a chrysler something doesnt add up, oh and who will be the first to put a turbine in the crossfire maybe chrysler might just listen this time around, i mean theyve chanegd the course of the automobile a few times already

Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let it go, then go buy that SRT6 Roadster from reallywantxfire in Omaha for $16.5K ......

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

Hey AMX, it seems you know alot more about the Chrysler Turbine than I would have guessed.
IF SO...
Do you know the story about the "mechanics and the bottle of Scotch" at the Chrysler plant ?
This is ONLY A TEST...
Mike

Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM

I too think, and heard that all but 3 were destroyed.
Montana

Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=Do you know the story about the "mechanics and the bottle of Scotch" at the Chrysler plant ?
This is ONLY A TEST...
Mike[/quote]

Mike, my Dad told me so many stories that were related to him from Chrysler Dealer Represenitives, it's hard to keep track of all of them.
I do know the Turbine would run on practically anything that would burn, and that included Scotch Wiskey.
I'd love to hear the story.
I too always thought that only 3 cars survived, but according to this web site, there must be several more.
Where are they now - the cars

Quick Reply: chrysler turbine car?