Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil Change Mistake With Pictures! Help...

Old 09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil Change Mistake With Pictures! Help...

I did an oil change myself. Put the shield up under the car and poured the oil. Didn't see any drips for an hour. I know there is a leak hole in that shield so if any oil dripped it would still end up on the floor. I drove the car a few miles and still no leaks. I start to clean up my mess and noticed a metal washer in the oil pan (see the picture). I am guessing that washer goes around the oil drip hole. Can anyone confirm that?

My car sits in the garage and I don't drive it often. If I do drive it they are short drives in the neighborhood. Should I be concerned about not having this washer? Maybe keep an eye on it to see if there are spills... then wait until the next oil change to put it back on? Does the car really need it or is it for extra protectiuon against spillage? I would have to drain all the oil just to get the washer back on.

Let me know what you think.....

Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Change Mistake With Pictures! Help....

That washer is indeed the crush washer that goes around the plug. If the car is not leaking, it is no big deal. Just make sure you replace it next time.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Here is the picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0003.jpg (1.54 MB, 131 views)
Old 09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Here is the picture
Yep, that is the crush ring.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by rfors777
That washer is indeed the crush washer that goes around the plug. If the car is not leaking, it is no big deal. Just make sure you replace it next time.
I am hoping there is no leak. It could be a slow leak and I haven't see it yet on the floor (hasn't made its way down through the shield yet). I will keep an eye on it as I usually do.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by rfors777
Yep, that is the crush ring.
I will definitely save it for next time and I will not lose it..... but would you be concerned?

Thanks for the confirmation!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will definitely save it for next time and I will not lose it..... but would you be concerned?

Thanks for the confirmation!
You don't save it, you replace it every oil change. You can get several for 2 bucks at a parts store.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

get new crush washer, we have them 2/$1, pull drain plug, plug hole with your finger, slip on washer and reinsert drain plug, you will only lose maybe 1/4 of a quart if you do it quick enough.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE SITUATIONS THAT IF YOU WERE IN A SHOP OR ON A RACE TEAM YOU WOULD PULL THE PLUG AND REPLACE WITH (NEW) WASHER WITHOUT QUESTION.
You would be razzed to no end by your superior mechanics but replacement would be a no brainer.
It probibly will NOT lead to any problem nor even leak. When you are out on that rare drive 50 miles from anyware that resembles a city or town and you remember you have a loose link in your chain will you wish you had replaced it? Crush washers not only work to seal, but somewhat as a lock washer also.
Why can't you empty the oil into a spotless, clean container and replace it. You shouldn't lose enough to warrant opening more than 1 quart and your piece of mind has to be worth that!
I like to keep my attention on the curves, not the oil pressure guage.

Montana

Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
get new crush washer, we have them 2/$1, pull drain plug, plug hole with your finger, slip on washer and reinsert drain plug, you will only lose maybe 1/4 of a quart if you do it quick enough.
Yeah! Take a video when you do this it's always funny! Especially when you drop the bolt and it rolls just out of reach and there's no one around to help!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Yeah! Take a video when you do this it's always funny! Especially when you drop the bolt and it rolls just out of reach and there's no one around to help!

Speaking from experience? LOL!

Old 09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new crush washer and install it before using the car again-----just not worth chancing a blown engine due to low/no oil.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

I did an oil change myself. Put the shield up under the car and poured the oil. Didn't see any drips for an hour. I know there is a leak hole in that shield so if any oil dripped it would still end up on the floor. I drove the car a few miles and still no leaks. I start to clean up my mess and noticed a metal washer in the oil pan (see the picture). I am guessing that washer goes around the oil drip hole. Can anyone confirm that?

My car sits in the garage and I don't drive it often. If I do drive it they are short drives in the neighborhood. Should I be concerned about not having this washer? Maybe keep an eye on it to see if there are spills... then wait until the next oil change to put it back on? Does the car really need it or is it for extra protectiuon against spillage? I would have to drain all the oil just to get the washer back on.

Let me know what you think.....
I bet the oil will slowly leak, and you will wish you had not forgotten it and that you did put it on later before the mess under the car.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Here is what I did..... And I know you guys will hammer me for this. The good thing is that i put the washer back on. I took the pin out and held the oil with a rag. It only poured for a second. I got everything back together and tightened the nut. I put some more oil back in it. Checked the level and it seems ok but it it difficult to determine. I need to buy another quart as backup and check the level again next time I drive it.

Now here is the bad news. I used the same washer. I wanted to get it on today and not wait. Unfortunately the stores are not open and by the time i drive there it will be too late. I will pick up a new washer during the week and i will put it on during the next oil change. That washer was not something i was aware of and i was not prepared to replace it.

Do you think what i did is acceptable? Is having an old washer there better than no washer? This is the first oil change i did myself in the past 5+ years of ownership. I did not want dealerships or quick stop places touching the car anymore. It was at least comforting to know Chrysler was using Mercedes filters.... Assuming they have been replacing the filters since i never know what they are doing in the back. That is why i decided to do it myself.... It was not to save money. My next oil change I will be better prepared.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 09-05-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While not recommended, you are not the first person to do this. You should be fine, but I'd keep an eye on my oil just in case.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I bet the oil will slowly leak, and you will wish you had not forgotten it and that you did put it on later before the mess under the car.
That is a pretty mean thing to bet on my oil leaking.... Thanks man

Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will be just fine reusing the washer. On previous cars, I've reused the same washer for years and never had one drip from leak.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
You will be just fine reusing the washer. On previous cars, I've reused the same washer for years and never had one drip from leak.
Thanks. I will get a new one for next time. But I doubt the dealership replaces them. I appreciate all your help!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Same here. NEVER have replaced one on any car I've ever owned.
Now the plastic washers are a different story.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks guys. I feel much better now that I put the washer on. Only took me 15-20 min at the most.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Mistake With Pictures! Help...