Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil Sending Unit and Headlight Harness...Among Other Issues

Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Sending Unit and Headlight Harness...Among Other Issues

Few questions about my poor beloved XF...

It went in for service while under the "Preferred" Zurich Warranty...which didn't cover a single item...of course...

Other than the dealer initially misreading the mileage to the point that my car would be out of warranty...they've been fairly courteous...but I don't really trust them...any thoughts on Mt. Ephraim Dodge in NJ?

They stated that my oil sending unit is bad (intermittent oil light on the cluster)...how much is one of these? Google isn't helping me much and I haven't picked the car up yet from the shop to get a part number...How easy is this thing to replace? They're asking nearly $300 for the job...I haven't received specifics but I'm assuming there is a leak at the sending unit since when the light goes on I check the level and it's a bit low...and adding fresh oil knocks that light out for a few weeks...

The passenger headlight harness for the low-beam had the connector literally disintegrate in my hands (Zurich says if the part isn't there we don't cover it...great)...the dealer is telling me they need to splice in a new harness and they want $250 for that job...

Beyond that I had the EAS light intermittently go on and the dealer reports needing to retrain the steering thing (which sounds familiar to the odd situation another forumite had) they want $49 for that so I'll let them take care of that issue.

And the final issue is that for some reason the cigar lighter shorts out the fuse for it and the glovebox light...the dealer is telling me it'll be at least $395 for them to even track down the short and that the warranty MAY cover it...so...would this be shorting to the frame or elsewhere? If it shorts to the frame I can tolerate it for a bit until I can retire the car for a week or so and take my time tracking it down myself...haven't popped open the dash yet to even have an idea...

These issues are of course distressing and I'm none too happy about the warranty issues...but I'm already out the $139 diagnostic fee and the $49 for the steering thing so I'm just trying to get some guidance here...

Thanks

Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Oil Sending Unit and Headlight Harness...Among Other Issues

Originally Posted by garagebandking82
Beyond that I had the EAS light intermittently go on and the dealer reports needing to retrain the steering thing (which sounds familiar to the odd situation another forumite had) they want $49 for that so I'll let them take care of that issue.
I think this 'retraining' may be turning the steering wheel lock to lock, I don't think you want to pay someone $50 to do this, hope it helps

Old 09-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure that resetting the EAS is simply a matter or turning the wheel lock to lock and it is a pretty simple procedure. They're also going to do a few other minor things for the $49 and I'm so tired of this ordeal I'm just going to let them do that and I'll bring her home and deal with the other issues ASAP...

Overall in the past year or so I've really soured on Chrysler in general after being an ardent supporter and buying four of their vehicles over the past 10 years...

Will probably go back to the older (SDL and such) MBs in the future as everyday cars (currently restoring a 66 250S)...I know the XF has a lot of MB parts but they're an amalgam of spares and it isn't quite the same...MB customer service has also always been phenomenal even if the car I was contacting them about was 15 years old and worth less than 4k...very quick to respond...very courteous and would even provide great follow-up...the independent MB mechanics around here are also very good and reasonable for the few things I can't handle myself on the older models...

I love the XF and hope to repaint the bumpers (City and Highway driving ugh) and have the mechanical demons sorted out over the next few months and then I'll retire her from regular use and will enjoy her for a few miles on the weekends or less...try to limit the miles and abuse while enjoying the generally solid feel of the car...

Thanks Boiler!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the lighter shorting out make sure there is nothing inside the socket assembly, also check to see if any thing is bent inside the socket, also check to make sure your lighter element is not bad, the socket is just a positive and ground set up so there is not much there to short out, but enough.