Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire out of commission...

Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire out of commission...

Well I first would like to thank the state of IL for leaving their roads so messed up for the general public to ride on. Yesterday on the way home taking Kingery Highway (RT. 83) north home to North Ave I was going over the construction that is in no way shape or form drivable for anyone without a monster truck. Anyway going slowly over this "bump" I heard a loud bang from underneath my car low and behold my tire became flat about 1 mile later. I got the care luckily to Just Tires on North Ave only to find out today that my rim which had the flat tire is cracked and wont hold air. I am riding on Axis Mod 7 19 x 8.0 in the front. I am having a hell of a time finding a replacement for this single rim, I am trying to buy a set of OEM rims through this websites classified section which I have only just started to do. Needless to say aftermarket rims suck and our cars lack of a spare tire really doesn't help anything in situations like I am in. I have to find a way to get the car to my residence tonight but without a spare it seems rather impossible to do such a task. So far this has been the worst week for more reasons other than this for me this year but this just compounds everything else that has been going wrong. Anyone know of a place around Elmhurst IL where I can get a donut spare for my car?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire out of comission...

If your car is not sitting to low ( where it could be damaged by a flat bed tow truck ) have you thought about a flat bed and have it towed to your house, then atleast it would be home and then you could work on getting a rim and tire. You may want to disable your alarm system before you get it towed. Just a thought.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by BP11
So far this has been the worst week for more reasons other than this for me this year but this just compounds everything else that has been going wrong.
So I'm not the ONLY one having the worst year EVER?

Can't help you from here, but sure can empathize.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Get out your copy of the RED CROSS list and give FP a buzz.
Looks like he's 30 - 40 miles away.

Who knows, he may have a spare.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian, I am sorry to hear. Just texted you again. If you cant get your dad to help you out, I will come and help u out during my lunch break. It sucks that I am working, but I can leave here for a short period of time to help you out.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It does not suck that you are working.... be glad that you are... unless I find something by next Friday, I will be out of work..... good lord willing, not for very long...

Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Forum Regular

Well I first would like to thank the state of IL for leaving their roads so messed up for the general public to ride on.

You're welcome.

Personally, I blame the gov'na. They waste all our taxpayer money. I don't know how many times they resurfaced 55 down this way when it really didn't need it all that badly.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Post Re: Crossfire out of comission...

You may check with the state, city, county. Here in Texas if the road is bad, they will fix your car, Just a thought

Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Forum Regular

Can't add much to this thread but I empathize with your situation. I lived in Lake Zurich, went to school at NIU, lived in Schaumburg....I freaking hate Chicago roads. Especially for our Crossfires.

Chicago is best suited for Jeeps, awd Audis, etc....

Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire out of commission...

Well I first would like to thank the state of IL for leaving their roads so messed up for the general public to ride on. Yesterday on the way home taking Kingery Highway (RT. 83) north home to North Ave I was going over the construction that is in no way shape or form drivable for anyone without a monster truck. Anyway going slowly over this "bump" I heard a loud bang from underneath my car low and behold my tire became flat about 1 mile later. I got the care luckily to Just Tires on North Ave only to find out today that my rim which had the flat tire is cracked and wont hold air. I am riding on Axis Mod 7 19 x 8.0 in the front. I am having a hell of a time finding a replacement for this single rim, I am trying to buy a set of OEM rims through this websites classified section which I have only just started to do. Needless to say aftermarket rims suck and our cars lack of a spare tire really doesn't help anything in situations like I am in. I have to find a way to get the car to my residence tonight but without a spare it seems rather impossible to do such a task. So far this has been the worst week for more reasons other than this for me this year but this just compounds everything else that has been going wrong. Anyone know of a place around Elmhurst IL where I can get a donut spare for my car?
sorry I didn't read this earlier.

I have spare rims with decent* tires. But i'm here in St Louis..
You are welcome to borrow if you can find a way.
What size? Front, rear?

Next we work on gettin it to you.

* Decent, meaning they hold air, are round and still on the rims.
PM sent
Franc

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-28-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

i also have a spare set of wheels you can put a deposit on and borrow to get the car home, i coudl get them out tomorrow thru fedex from michigan which should get to you in 1 day thru ground

Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
i also have a spare set of wheels you can put a deposit on and borrow to get the car home, i coudl get them out tomorrow thru fedex from michigan which should get to you in 1 day thru ground
If you're willing to sell one of the 18" rims, I'm interested, assuming they're the N/A rims. I've been looking to replace a front one that's bent and only holds air when it feels like it.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM

I have aftermarket rims shape, I dont think you want a rim that looks completely different than the others .

Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

I have aftermarket rims shape, I dont think you want a rim that looks completely different than the others .
Might look a little funny going down the street with the odd man out on my car.

Oddly enough, lately the rim has been holding air again. I used to have to fill it up everyday, but for the past 2 weeks, it's held air pretty well. I still want to replace it though.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular

I also have a set of NA stock rims sitting in the garage. The rears are fine structure wise, NO TIRES MOUNTED, and one front is fine again no tires mounted. The other front has a very worry some crack. I could ship as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jason_HBC
I also have a set of NA stock rims sitting in the garage. The rears are fine structure wise, NO TIRES MOUNTED, and one front is fine again no tires mounted. The other front has a very worry some crack. I could ship as well.
How much for the good front one?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Well the Xfire will be rolling again I just picked up all_brans rims and tires for 650 shipped. Not a bad deal at all. Should be getting them next week I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 AM

I got my rims and tires in today. I have a question for I don't really know too much about these things. It appears that the tires have already been balanced and they were on a crossfire roadster before getting to me. Do I need to balance these tires again? Is there anything else in putting on new tires that should be of a concern to me? They look nice I need some chrome polish to get the center caps looking pretty again but I am more about making the car moves right now lol. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they were tires that were installed and balanced by the previous owner, you can just mount them and go... wheels are not balanced to the car... the wheel and tire are balanced as a unit to eliminate run-out......

Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the tires appreciate it. My car is ROLLING again woohoo but got more bad news it has died out twice in the last 12 hours...now I have to spend even more money replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor...one day this car will run without problems...one day...

Updated pics in my gallery of the new rims!

Quick Reply: Crossfire out of commission...