Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

newbees - friendly forum; stupid questions welcome

Old 04-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbees - friendly forum; stupid questions welcome

this is not a closed, clubby kind of forum where only the chosen few who know each other and have been given the secret handshake are welcome. there are lots of forums out there like that where just a few regulars take over and shun newbees but this isn't one of them.

i for one like stupid questions since they're usually the only ones i can actually help with. like:

"what's the handle between the seats do?" you ask and i say "oh, that's just the framitz-actuator. only use that if you're under-framitized."

helpful kinda guy, i guess.

usually, we will try to give an answer before sending you to the archive or the owners manual if we can. not here to make you feel stupid.

newbees welcome. nobody here was born knowing about crossfires.

fun car - fun people. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dan

Old 04-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your are 100% right... everyone "is" welcome here. All "any" forum asks of new people, is at least try to be familiar with what the board is about. You might enjoy answering "stupid" questions but most folks don't. :?

Old 04-10-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Your are 100% right... everyone "is" welcome here. All "any" forum asks of new people, is at least try to be familiar with what the board is about. You might enjoy answering "stupid" questions but most folks don't. :?

well then...don't. that's easy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dan

Old 04-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Default Re: newbees - friendly forum; stupid questions welcome

Originally Posted by houstondan
this is not a closed, clubby kind of forum where only the chosen few who know each other and have been given the secret handshake are welcome. there are lots of forums out there like that where just a few regulars take over and shun newbees but this isn't one of them.

i for one like stupid questions since they're usually the only ones i can actually help with. like:

"what's the handle between the seats do?" you ask and i say "oh, that's just the framitz-actuator. only use that if you're under-framitized."

helpful kinda guy, i guess.

usually, we will try to give an answer before sending you to the archive or the owners manual if we can. not here to make you feel stupid.

newbees welcome. nobody here was born knowing about crossfires.

fun car - fun people. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dan
Hear, Hear Dan, I'm all for being friendly and having fun with this forum and the people in it. Life is too short to be grumpy, Have fun!

Old 04-11-2004, 08:21 AM

Houstondan, Be careful of what you ask. See my thread where I asked about the mirror.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by flathead
Houstondan, Be careful of what you ask. See my thread where I asked about the mirror.
Flathead.... All of the people here are very friendly and are more than willing to help answer real questions. The question you asked... wanting to know what the sensor on the mirror was for.... Was almost as bad as asking what the large Red Triangle button in the middle of the switch panel is for. :? All anyone was trying to tell you is that you need to read your manual. That's why they gave it to you. There are many features and things on this car that you won't know anything about if you don't read the manual. This isn't you Mother's Yugo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So please, flathead, lighten up and forget that and enjoy the forum. There's a ton of good info. on here if you will take the time to read it.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default questions....

i answered your question for you...without sarcasm. i thought you were upfront by stating, you yourself could look it up but just wanted a quick response. glad i could help. hang in there.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
Flathead.... All of the people here are very friendly and are more than willing to help answer real questions. The question you asked... wanting to know what the sensor on the mirror was for.... Was almost as bad as asking what the large Red Triangle button in the middle of the switch panel is for. :? All anyone was trying to tell you is that you need to read your manual. That's why they gave it to you. There are many features and things on this car that you won't know anything about if you don't read the manual. This isn't you Mother's Yugo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So please, flathead, lighten up and forget that and enjoy the forum. There's a ton of good info. on here if you will take the time to read it.
Oh I see the self proclaimed lord and keeper of the xfire forum has set me straight. He says It was not a "real" question. Do I have to send you a PM everytime I ask something here just to see if it qualifies as a "real" question before I post? That way maybe I can avoid the childish name calling I had to read in the other post.

Please inlighten me with your vast knowledge of this forum and what is considered a "real" question.

Andrew thanks for the reply on the mirror, it is appreciated.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:39 AM

Sorry, you are so right and I was so wrong..:?.. Your question was brilliant. Just like the above statement. :lol:

Old 04-11-2004, 10:51 AM

Keep pecking out those gems Wmicheals. Your gaining respect in leaps and bounds. All this because I asked a simple question. Like my mother always told me the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:16 AM

WMichaels... Well said.

flathead... We are all very, very sorry we hurt your feelings, really. That was not very nice of us, huh???

With that said, I'll just come out and very politely tell you what your Mommy and Daddy probably never did, "stop your damn whinning and grow the hell up!!!". If you don't act your age you will never be shown the secret handshake and the XF wave... that's just the way it is!!!

BTW: When you do start acting your age... tell us a little about yourself. Like maybe where you are from, what color XF you own or want to own, it's build number, auto or stick etc etc. We're funny here that way and are curious to know what others drive because SSB (that stands for Saphire Silver Blue) owners think somethings wrong with Alabaster owners, chipped Alabaster owners can't undersatnd why some us us drive sticks and so on. We only want to know so we don't offend anyone who may have a different view of things. So, come on out and play. You don't have to hide, after all, we really are freindly folks here.

Now go sit in the corner till it's time for dinner. End of converstation..............

Old 04-11-2004, 11:25 AM

AZ.....

Old 04-11-2004, 12:34 PM

I am also a newbie on this forum, though I have been lurking for a few weeks now. I finally felt the need to post something. You guys are being very rude to flathead. The man posted a question and has had nothing but flack ever since. Then when he fired back it just got worse. I must say this board does have the feel of a clubby place. I may be the only one but I agree completely with flathead on his comments.

Regards Ethel.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Default I'm with you

You're not the only one, Ethel. Not having posted much myself, I was thinking about posting to this, decided not to stick my neck out, saw yours, so here goes.

99% of the people here are both helpful and respectful. There are two or three who, while commendably are very enthusiastic about Crossfires and are often there with helpful information, also seem to take it upon themselves to determine how people should post and participate.

As a result, posters with questions or comments, if they don't meet the standards of these few, are met with sarcasm, ridicule, and sometimes outright insults.

It's very off putting and the board would be greatly enhanced if that side of things toned down just a bit.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:54 PM

slotqueen.... Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by slotqueen
I am also a newbie on this forum, though I have been lurking for a few weeks now. I finally felt the need to post something. You guys are being very rude to flathead. The man posted a question and has had nothing but flack ever since. Then when he fired back it just got worse. I must say this board does have the feel of a clubby place. I may be the only one but I agree completely with flathead on his comments.

Regards Ethel.
you are not alone. the reason i posted this as a separate thread was that i didn't want to get wrapped into that other unpleasentness. did not want to appear to be taking sides on their fight. well, i already admitted i'm not very smart.

fact is, if you look at the "read" numbers, there are a lot of lurkers out there. since i see the value of any forum relating to the depth and diversity of the posters, anything that makes lurkers feel they would get attacked if they became posters is a bad thing.

often, a question is just a way of testing the waters; starting the conversation. someone just got a new crossfire, or is looking at buying/leasing one, and is all excited about it. wants to talk.

isn't that what the forum is for???

happy easter y'all. talk about a flame war that got totally out of hand :shock:

dan

Old 04-11-2004, 11:34 PM

If you don't act your age you will never be shown the secret handshake and the XF wave... that's just the way it is!!!
man, Az... you weren't even supposed to mention that there IS a secret handshake :!: :evil: :evil: :wink:

chipped Alabaster owners can't undersatnd why some us us drive sticks
HEY :!: I resemble that comment 8)

Actually, I can COMPLETELY understand especially those who have the luxury of pampering their baby and only bringing it out on weekends having a manual... but for old farts like me driving 60-80 miles per day commuting, often in bumper-to-bumper traffic, a manual is just a pain.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:48 AM

Me too....What David said.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 04-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

I take a couple of days off for Easter, and look what I come back to.....

I have to admit that I agree more with houstondan on this issue. I have a few reasons for that statement.

1. If you are a newbie, and we all have been in that catagory at one time on this forum, you probably do not have the hang of how it really works. I have been on this forum now for over 6 months, and I am still learning how some of the functions work.

2. When I first stumbled onto this site, there were about 15 pages of postings in the Crossfire Coupe heading. How many are there now? Close to 30, I think, and that is well over 1000 threads. That is alot to ask anyone to read before posting. And lets not forget that these threads have a way of going way off topic. So looking at a thread name does not mean what is really contained in it.

3. Some people would rather just ask that do research on their own. Is it fair to yell at them for that? In my opinion, no. If you think their post is dumb, just ignore it, and let it go.

My $0.02 worth

Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jsisabella
That is alot to ask anyone to read before posting.
My $0.02 worth
that's why there's a "Search" tool. Hey, I can understand not reading all the posts here right away, I sure didn't. But NOT reading the owner's manual and coming here to ask a question that's answered there is a bit obtuse.

Quick Reply: newbees - friendly forum; stupid questions welcome