Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

midwest travel alert

Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default midwest travel alert

Just a headsup. Anyone planning a road trip that goes through Illinois, be aware that the legislature here has passed a law where anyone driving in the left lane of a highway for more than a 1/2 mile can be charged with "improper lane usage." So if there are 40 vehicles all going down a two-laner at once they are all supposed to get in the right lane and leave the left lane empty -- unless you are "passing" (which is not defined).

This has only been law here for 3 mos. Some other states such as Mississippi and Kentucky may already have such laws on the books.

Although sold as a safety issue this seems to be revenue-driven, carries a hefty fine. Most folks doing it will have no idea it is even illegal. But the state troopers are writing tickets at triple the rate of 2003. Word to the wise, esp. those in cars that get noticed.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:08 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Although I don't like that the police are going to use this to generate revenue, that is the proper use of the left lane. The left lane is for passing, and slower traffic should stay to the right, or move out of the way if faster traffic is coming behind them, even if they are speeding. Europeans seem to grasp this concept, but us Americans don't seem to understand it...

Old 04-15-2004, 02:41 AM

Oh I agree that slower traffic should keep right, no fan here of lane cloggers. But you could have a situation where all cars are flowing, no one is holding anything up, and those on the left get ticketed. Or a solo car is motoring down the left lane for 1 minute, doing the limit, and gets nailed for taking more than 25 seconds to pass anyone. Sometimes no one will let you get into the right lane, sometimes the only slot is in between trucks (which truckers hate, and which is dangerous). Recently in Mississippi, under a similar law, a state trooper clogged the left lane, then pulled over 8 cars backed up behind him and cited them for being in the left lane without passing!

Finally, if traffic in the right lane is doing the limit, it sets up for a speeding ticket every single car that ventures into the left lane. Drivers in Illinois are being hit with speeding/lane-usage combo tix, showing that this law is not being used to deter the slow. Be careful out there, my flashy-car friends, is all I'm sayin'.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:06 AM

Inane law.. another case of over-regulation... or an attempt of it at least.
Push comes to shove, dont think that ticket would hold up in court. 25 seconds is less than 1/2 mile, even @ 60 per..... Very stupid.

would like to 'see' that law... got any written information on that?

Old 04-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Excellent law. It finally puts the US in with all other civilized nations in Europe that enforce this law. To save lives they need to focus on keep right except to pass and not on the speed limit. Only idiots would focus on both. Lets see how intelligent they are.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member

Another bullsh :twisted: :twisted: traffic law designed to make more money for the cops! I used to get stupid tickets like that all the time when I lived in the Midwest. Last ticket I got was for using the "bonus lane" (left turn lane) to make a left turn and got nailed for "impropper passing" because traffic was backed up. 3 points!!! At least in So-Cal they've got their hands full with real car chases and catching poeple who deserve it. B.S. traffic laws, unmarked cars, radar guns on the overpass with 10 cop cars lined up on the on-ramp, all just there to collect the cash. Go catch a drunk driver! :x :evil: :twisted: -Sorry, I had to rant...

Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stranded_2004
would like to 'see' that law... got any written information on that?
Section of statute is 625 ILCS 5/11-701

Applicable text:

(d) Upon an Interstate highway or fully access controlled freeway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle.

(e) Subsection (d) of this Section does not apply:
(1) when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane;
(2) when traffic conditions and congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane;
(3) when snow and other inclement weather conditions make it necessary to drive in the left lane;
(4) when obstructions or hazards exist in the right lane;
(5) when a vehicle changes lanes to comply with Sections 11-907 and 11-908 of this Code [625 ILCS 5/11-907 and625 ILCS 5/11-908];
(6) when, because of highway design, a vehicle must be driven in the left lane when preparing to exit;
(7) on toll highways when necessary to use I-Pass, and on toll and other highways when driving in the left lane is required to comply with an official traffic control device....

So there are exceptions which will help folks wriggle off the rap. #1, which applies if no one is behind you, is the main one. But if you've ever been ticketed in the boonies or in some state outside your own you know that does you little good. Feel like driving 500 miles for a court appearance to argue the case?

Until Jan. 1 of this year the law simply forbid going too slow for "normal traffic" in the left lane.

All I'm reporting is that tickets for improper lane usage in the first 3 mos. of this year have doubled and tripled, compared to last year. State and local governments are strapped for $$$ and traffic ticketing (like parking fines) is being used as a backdoor tax.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deco
All I'm reporting is that tickets for improper lane usage in the first 3 mos. of this year have doubled and tripled, compared to last year. State and local governments are strapped for $$$ and traffic ticketing (like parking fines) is being used as a backdoor tax.
like red light and speeding cameras too... :x

Old 04-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member

If they need money they should have more toll roads. Funding state budgets by handing out B.S. traffic fines not only causes a major financial inconvenience for innocent drivers, but it can cause major damage to your drving record and you insurance premiums. It sounds like this new law has so many loopholes that it's completely open to the interpretation of the cop to decide who to give tickets to. It's Highway Robbery!!

Old 04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

It's okay to drive in the left hand lane, according to the law, if there is no traffic behind immediately behind you, or if there is traffic in the right hand lanes. So it's still all good. This is just aimed at people slowing up the faster left hand lane.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:00 PM

Colorado just passed and is enacting a similar law concerning lane useage. So, if anyone is heading
out to cruise along the excellent I-70 Glenwood Springs route...beware.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 PM

In CT they have had a law on the books for over 40 years, prohiting driving in the left lane on a divided highway, except to pass. There was no restriction concerning time in the left lane. It used to be enforced, but due to the HUGE increase in traffic volume in the past 20 years, enforcement has proved impractical.

There is also a companion law that prohibits passing on the right on a 2 law, divided roadway.

One of the problems encountered, is folks getting into the left lane and doing the speed limit or just a little under. When stopped, these drivers have often admitted they were doing that in an attempt to slow down speeders, who mostly use the left lane.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymond
Excellent law. It finally puts the US in with all other civilized nations in Europe that enforce this law. To save lives they need to focus on keep right except to pass and not on the speed limit.
What crap! I think lately America is too influenced by foreign countries and it is watering down what America is and what its fought so hard to be. If you aren't from America then I can almost understand you not understanding what Im saying but to those who are from the USA, if you aren't patriotic and love this country then there are plenty of other countries you can be a part of. Gwyneth Paltrow said she refuses to raise her kid here in America because we are 'too patritoc"??? She said that we Americans think we are better than other countries?? We don't think we are better, we are just proud of our country and its effort to keep this land free. There are too many liberal forces at work today, trying to slowly take our freedom and laws like this are a good example of that. They aren't worried about 'saving lives' they are worried about getting revenue at our expense, period. (Highway Robbery is exactly what is is!!)
Now I realize there are some 'bad eggs' that will zig zag or clog the lane but if we let the lowest common denominator set the rules then we will become like a third world country. USA, Love it/Fight for it. (or bye) 8)

Old 04-16-2004, 02:53 PM

Sorry to disagree but the speed limit is the problem not "Keep right except to pass". Americans are no where even close to the quality of drivers that exist in Europe, where virtualy everyone knows how to drive a stick. Very few American's would be able to pass a European drivers license test such as is given in Austria, Germany, Italy etc. And the bad egss are zig zagging because of the idiots hanging out in the left lane. They're the ones that are so dumb they believed the dealer when he said "OK, if you buy today I'll throw in the left lane with the car, at no charge.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the bad eggs are zig zagging because of the idiots hanging out in the left lane. They're the ones that are so dumb they believed the dealer when he said "OK, if you buy today I'll throw in the left lane with the car, at no charge.
.......I gotta admit, thats pretty funny. Cant argue with a good sence of humor

There are some pretty sloppy drivers here in the states and I do wish that to change but making laws where you can only be in the left lane a matter of seconds is really pathetic. I don't believe in camping in the left lane, Im usually pushing 80 or so which pleases most people. When a speedier person pops up behind, I move over and let them go by. Of course Im talking when Im in my work truck which I drive all week. When Im in the Crossfire, Im really moving.... 8)

Old 04-16-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Danwell
When a speedier person pops up behind, I move over and let them go by.
99% of the idiots driving in this country don't have a CLUE what the double-flash means either. :evil: :evil: :evil:

And I sure wish we had more roundabouts rather than these infernal traffic lights. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Old 04-17-2004, 06:09 AM

If you flash it is considered road rage by the idiots in government. By the way, has anyone here driven in Italy on the autostrada and seen the distant flashes prior to being passed by a Ferrari? It is an amazing event.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:23 AM

If you flash it is considered road rage by the idiots in government. By the way, has anyone here driven in Italy on the autostrada and seen the distant flashes prior to being passed by a Ferrari? It is an amazing event.
The first time it was disconcerting... the second time the Ferrari never caught up (Corvette Stingray). What was REALLY funny was getting flashed on the road between Formia and Gaeta by one of those silly three-wheelers that seem to be EVERYWHERE in the country.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:03 AM

I personally would like to see 80 as a National speed limit... at least on interstates, outside urban areas... perhaps even make the restriction to a lower speed limit based on 'access'.... i.e. "x" number of on/off ramps per mile/5 mile stretch..... what do y'all think?

I travel 'somewhat'... and I know that the 'state' speed limit varies considerably.... 75 I do believe out in AZ? 65 some states as in WI, 70 in others, TX..... anyone else got different? What is Montana these days... used to be 'safe speed' wasnt it... at least during the day?

All national movements gotta begin somewhere!!!

Old 04-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Default Michigan Emergency Vehicle Law

By the way, Michigan inacted a similar revenue generation law this year. If there is an emergency or support vehicle (police, highway crew, garbage, fire) stopped on the shoulder, passing vehicles MUST move over one lane to the left, if traffic conditions permit.

I was visiting last month and this happened to me. A local cop was just leapfrogging down the road, handing out tickets. :shock: Luckily, he believed me and let me go. Beware! :!: Thanks.

Quick Reply: midwest travel alert