Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Just ordered 4 new tyres

Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered 4 new tyres

Pilot Sport 3s all brand new

£834 fitted all 4 from hometyre.co.uk cheapest I could find after searching all day.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Just ordered 4 new tyres

Originally Posted by Michelle (UK)

£834 fitted all 4 from hometyre.co.uk cheapest I could find after searching all day.
After my experience with my Pilot Sport A/S plus's, I will never buy Michelin tires again. These have been terrible tires. Wore out much quicker than the original Conti's, didn't handle as well despite being a higher class of tires, were terrible in snow and rain compared to the Conti's. They also have a very stiff sidewall. With my Conti's, I hit potholes and there was no damage to the rim. With these, I hit one small pothole (living in Illinois, it's impossible to avoid them 100% of the time) and the rim was bent.

Sorry, rant over. I hope you didn't buy the same as I did.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is about the same price as here in the US, but I have a least 15 choices from tirerack.com that are cheaper. Some that are half the price.

Good luck with them.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Don't let 'em rain on your tire parade! How bad could they be... they're Michelins'! Congrats on the new tyres!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not saying they are bad. I'm sure they are excellent tires, or as they say in the UK "tyres." Just amazed that was the cheapest she could find, They are almost the most costly in the US.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 AM

When they developed the tires for the Crossfire, only Conti did one A/S and the original Michelin tire was the PS2. So everything from Aftermarket you cant compare with the OE tires.
Have fun!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best tire ever & great price & ride Hankook Ventus V12 evo at tire rack !!!! You wont be sorry !!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't quite understand why you had to pay so much unless you specified Michelins - a 30sec Google would get you Falkens etc for £550

That was at Mytyres by the way

Last edited by muskrat; 01-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
After my experience with my Pilot Sport A/S plus's, I will never buy Michelin tires again. These have been terrible tires. Wore out much quicker than the original Conti's, didn't handle as well despite being a higher class of tires, were terrible in snow and rain compared to the Conti's. They also have a very stiff sidewall. With my Conti's, I hit potholes and there was no damage to the rim. With these, I hit one small pothole (living in Illinois, it's impossible to avoid them 100% of the time) and the rim was bent.

Sorry, rant over. I hope you didn't buy the same as I did.
Wow, I'm amazed to hear that. I've got 27k miles on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's and I have nothing but praise for them. They grip better than my Hankook Evo S1 summer tires and are a lot quieter as well, not to mention I've made it through almost two full Minnesota winters without any problems.

Maybe you just got a bad set? I've hit some nasty potholes here as well and have yet to damage a wheel, or tire, for that matter.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 PM

I know there are other brands of tyres and many are cheaper than Pilot Sport 3s. However I wanted OEM tyres and these from what I have read are one of the best out there. Only just launched in past year as I understand...?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Forum Regular

Great choice.
Michelle have a look on tirerack.com and see the reviews about your tires.
I think they have a 9.3/10 about cornering... pretty impressive
The best right now are the conti DW or DWS.
Michelle... are they available in your damn country ;-)?

Let us know
Congrats about your tires

Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alzilla
Wow, I'm amazed to hear that. I've got 27k miles on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's and I have nothing but praise for them. They grip better than my Hankook Evo S1 summer tires and are a lot quieter as well, not to mention I've made it through almost two full Minnesota winters without any problems.

Maybe you just got a bad set? I've hit some nasty potholes here as well and have yet to damage a wheel, or tire, for that matter.
I don't. I haven't gotten anywhere close to 27,000 out of a set yet. The Conti's didn't last as long, but had more useful life on them. The Michelin's started having noise, comfort, and handling problems much sooner than the Conti's. I autocross as well and do it on my street tires since I don't have a second set of rims, so that may explain why I've never gotten too much life out of them. The Conti's did handle better on the track than the Michelin's though.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 AM

I know there are other brands of tyres and many are cheaper than Pilot Sport 3s. However I wanted OEM tyres and these from what I have read are one of the best out there. Only just launched in past year as I understand...?

Hi Michelle,
its always a good idea to chose OEM tires but the PS3 was never fitted on the Crossfire. On the other hand I would recommend the Conti SC2 because of the better wet performance which is probably important in England.

@ Ed, yes the Hankooks are a good and cheaper Option and they improved a lot the tire performance in the last years.

Greeting from Germany!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxime75us
Great choice.
Michelle have a look on tirerack.com and see the reviews about your tires.
I think they have a 9.3/10 about cornering... pretty impressive
The best right now are the conti DW or DWS.
Michelle... are they available in your damn country ;-)?

Let us know
Congrats about your tires
thanks, where is the link to the review please?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM

The Michelins are a fantastic summer tyre with great grip due to softer compound. But I was disappointed with tyre wear on these and the price is - well crazy! These do suit the car perfectly though in dry conditions but not good in winter. .

Ive had a set of Continental Sport Contact 3 (the older Sport Contact 2 was standard on some xfires) These again are great, and in my view harder wearing with a slightly harder compound. Fantastic grip on cornering. I paid £600 for a set of MyTyres.com.

So having previously paid top dollar for the name on the side wall I now see sense! I now run a set of Falken FK452 on my slightly larger rims 275x19x35 rear and 235x19x35 front and this is the best mix yet. Grip is as good as Continentals as is tyre wear. These also are designed to cope better in UK rain. Price was 140 each for rears and 100 each for fronts making £480 fitted. These have a great write up too, and have a raised rim protector on the side wall. Half the price of the Michelins! I can put anyone in touch with expert UK supplier/fitters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1292.JPG (2.26 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by Steve - UK; 01-15-2011 at 09:19 AM.