Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Wife Blown Away by Crossfire

Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife Blown Away by Crossfire

I'm a new member on this forum. Recently my wife and I went to look at a super-clean white w/red leather '04 Crossfire with only 32,000 miles, Mandrus Millenium wheels, and Magnaflow exhaust. Although I wasn't familiar with Crossfires, I knew I wanted the car as soon as I saw it. Looks better in person than in photos. However, I was disappointed to find out that my 6'2" 260lb frame was a very tight fit. Told the owner that I was initially excited about the car, but the interior was just too tight for me. So we left. On the way home my wife, who is not a car person by any means, grabbed my arm and said "Turn the car around! I want that Crossfire! Let's sell my Matrix SRT!" I was shocked because she "loved" her Toyota Matrix. Never saw her so excited about a car. So, I bought the Crossfire which is now her car. Of course, I drive it now and then, despite the tight fit. I look forward to being a member of this forum.

Last edited by crymar; 06-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned
Default Re: Wife Blown Away by Crossfire

Thankfully your darling wife has excellent taste in automobiles. You will both come to have a special relationship with your new Crossie.

By the way, even with your big frame, you'll find cockpit of the car to be acceptable once you spend some time fiddling with the eight-way driver's seat. Set it as low and back as possible, and there is also a method to remove the knee bolster if necessary. Plenty of leg room all the to the firewall. Oddly enough, I have a roadster, and it is the passenger seat that I find annoying. Apparently the only place they could find to locate the sound system amp is under the under the slanted floorboard, so you lose a few inches of leg room. But again, the driver's side is ample.

Welcome to the world of the CrossfireForum.org. Best site on the web, with an abundance of information and great people to boot.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Welcome! You'll start seeing a few more of us driving around the area. Check out the Northeast section of the forum.

Enjoy!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Welcome to the family!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have the same car. I love the Cedar/Slate interior, especially in an Alabaster car. I'm 6'2" and I fit with about 1" of head room clearance.
You may have to get use to sitting in a more "upright" driving position than you're use to (to get the seat back far enough to keep your knees from hitting the dash). As "KANE" mentioned, There is thread posted that shows how to remove the panel just below the steering wheel that will give you more room for your knees.
Don't forget, the steering wheel telescopes.
Enjoy the forum, and your knew car.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Unfortunately, my wife is not too hip on the Crossfires... Oh well, more driving time for me I guess.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Welcome. I am new as well. Just joined a few days ago, and already find the people here great sources of information and encouragement. You'll love being part of this family....!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Hey, crymar. We see that you list 'politics' as one of your interests. This is one of few car-sites that have a sub-forum for political banter, so feel free to join in. Caution: not for the thin-skinned or faint of heart.

Last edited by Kane; 06-13-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first drove the car, I too thought -- no way would I ever feel comfortable in it --- yet, I still had to have it. We'll as others have said, there aer a number of ways to make adjustments and you will eventually find your sweet spot and comfort zone. Once you do, you will want to be the "primary" driver and you may end up having to get another Crossfire for your wife.

There's definitely plenty of leg room to stretch your legs / feet all the way to the fire wall. This enables you to move the seat forward so you can then recline the seat back some resulting in more head room. You can't do anything about width, but I have broad shoulders and once I got used to it, I can cruise in this thing quite comfortably. Of course the permagrin that results from driving puts everything into a perfect driving position eventually -- even without adjustments.

Enjoy!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome crymar. congrats and good luck with the car.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kane
By the way, even with your big frame, you'll find cockpit of the car to be acceptable once you spend some time fiddling with the eight-way driver's seat. Set it as low and back as possible
I found I fit the best if I don't put the seat all the way rearward and recline the back until it touches the bulkhead (the great wall of Benz.) That gives me just enough headroom, but I think the knee bolster removal is an idea worth considering.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

She thinks the silver one is hers....I just consider it my backup.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the family!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Welcome. Glad that you found us. The Milleniums are Mandrus. Didn't know if it was just a typo. Did you get brushed or chrome? I run the brushed on a black one. Another reason to look forward to summer so I can get those wheels back on.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle_Al
Welcome. Glad that you found us. The Milleniums are Mandrus. Didn't know if it was just a typo. Did you get brushed or chrome? I run the brushed on a black one. Another reason to look forward to summer so I can get those wheels back on.
Mandrus it is. Sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain. The wheels are brushed silver. They look like they might be difficult to keep clean.

Last edited by crymar; 06-14-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crymar
I'm a new member on this forum. Recently my wife and I went to look at a super-clean white w/red leather '04 Crossfire with only 32,000 miles, Mandrus Millenium wheels, and Magnaflow exhaust. Although I wasn't familiar with Crossfires, I knew I wanted the car as soon as I saw it. Looks better in person than in photos. However, I was disappointed to find out that my 6'2" 260lb frame was a very tight fit. Told the owner that I was initially excited about the car, but the interior was just too tight for me. So we left. On the way home my wife, who is not a car person by any means, grabbed my arm and said "Turn the car around! I want that Crossfire! Let's sell my Matrix SRT!" I was shocked because she "loved" her Toyota Matrix. Never saw her so excited about a car. So, I bought the Crossfire which is now her car. Of course, I drive it now and then, despite the tight fit. I look forward to being a member of this forum.
Your a lucky guy, m wife now refuses to ride in mine now that i have lowered it and changed the springs. To bad,,,I'm keeping the car.. BTW if you get the chance find a base Crossfire with cloth seats and no motors. they sit lower, and i think the seats are thinner. much more room.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yep, it was my wife that got me started as well....I was going for another corvette when my kids finished college....and you see what I have now...and still saved money...LOL.....and, you don't want to wonder into that political section....some of those guys have riden with the top down in very cold weather if you know what I mean....

Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
yep, it was my wife that got me started as well....I was going for another corvette when my kids finished college....and you see what I have now...and still saved money...LOL.....and, you don't want to wonder into that political section....some of those guys have riden with the top down in very cold weather if you know what I mean....
Now that my wife (actually "we") has the Crossfire, I'm thinking of trading in her Matrix XRS on a new Dodge Charger. I visited the "politics" section of this site and know what you mean. It's the old back-and-forth ranting of libs vs. cons. Although I'm quite liberal, these kinds of exchanges accomplish nothing and usually end up as keyboard screaming matches of worn-out media talking points.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 AM

This story sounds just like mine. Except she will be my wife in about 2 weeks