Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

R-170 Front End Swap?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: R-170 Front End Swap?

Originally Posted by Teck-9
It wont be worth as much and it will be ugly? Ok, I wont do this.

Is that what you want? Has anybody in history ever responded to similar discouragement in such a manner as the above. Its not as ugly as driving a lie with a ******* sebring front end. Chryslers are pieces of **** and I don't want my car pretending to be one. Every time anybody asks something on this forum, nobody speaks up with relevant info, they just sit around critisizing. Its my project. Id sell my reproductive organs before Id sell that car. I wasn' ******* asking about dumb *** resale value, I don't care. Can anybody tell me where at any point I asked about resale value or opinions on appearance. At mbworld or audiworld, people actually answer questions. Does it make you all feel smart to discourage people by telling them **** they already know as opossed to having enough respect for a fellow owner to consider that maybe, just maybe theyve thought this tnrough. This forum is 90% old cynics. Any of you ever read posts by lantana tx. Even if he thinks something is a bad idea, his critisism is always accompanied by pertinent information. He'll say this might be a bad idea, but heres what i know. You should all strive to be like him. If everybody thought like you guys, we wouldnt even have electricity. I guess if I want to recognize this car as the mb that it is, i should just move permanently to mb world.
not all of us are ********... some of us are purists. Build it, and then burn the abomination because it still won't be a Mercedes.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it. Everyone likes something different. Take the knowledge these people pass on and take your own perspective on how the outcome looks. In the end, you are the one that drives and owns the car, if you like it, more power to ya !

Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MI1XFIRE
It has been done before, I saw this one on ebay a while back from a R171, looks like a complete front clip is required as you will need to use the front part of the SLK fenders:
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

that being said though from a purely 'can it be done point of view' it IS quite intreguing.

As an aside I was interested to hear that the cops pull you guys over for having different badge on the car (eg Merc rather than Chrysler)... would not happen over here

Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by waylander
As an aside I was interested to hear that the cops pull you guys over for having different badge on the car (eg Merc rather than Chrysler)... would not happen over here
Our Rozzers are bored...

Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

Teck-9, this is a psychology class project...right?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teck-9
Chryslers are pieces of **** and I don't want my car pretending to be one....
OK, so, it sounds like you bought a car you don't like and you don't want. You've asked some questions about how you might be able to change it into the car you do like and do want. Might it not be easier to sell the Crossfire and buy the car you really want?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
Teck-9, this is a psychology class project...right?
We will not hear from him for a while as he's back on his meds.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It try to stay out of this stuff, but 'HOLY FLAME OUT BATMAN.' Tech takes issue with being questioned on his idea, and by the response, presumably his taste. Well, his original post states that "he was wondering" about the swap. In my book, that's an invitation for "opinions," and he got "opinions." His flame out, considering his own basis for getting angry, is twisted to say the least. Tech, you state: "Its not as ugly as driving a lie with a ******* sebring front end. Chryslers are pieces of **** and I don't want my car pretending to be one." Well I wasn't involved, but you attack my car and the cars of the thousands of other members that don't even have an opinion and don't even know you exist (or care). Time for a little self-reflection, and if you reach an appropriate conclusion, no doubt an apology as well.
. .
(- ) <--------------------------Me holding my breath.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 AM

I actually like the intense look of the front end of the SLK. Was just talking with a friend the other day wishing Daimler created such an automobile. I would never buy an SLK because of how the rest of the body looked. Aggressive SLK front paired with the elegant body and back of a crossfire would be hot!!! Definitely keep this updated. I would really like to know how it goes because after seeing those pictures of the SLK crossfire mutt mix I couldn't help but gawk in awe.
It might be a venture I make myself. Have a truly unique vehicle.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

PLEASE FILL OUT AS REQUIRED AND APPLICABLE...------>>

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a young guy you seen angry. At your age you still have lottsa learning to do. Liten up some and enjoy life. If you want to tear your car a part go ahead and do it. Have fun.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
PLEASE FILL OUT AS REQUIRED AND APPLICABLE...------>>

This is funny.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM

I'm with the OP here. He didn't ask whether you thought the project was worthy, he asked for some technical advice. His response to your derision is entirely appropriate and you owe him a collective apology.

On another car forum all the members agreed this type of criticism helps nobody. We just say, "It's your car, do what you want with it." I recommend we adopt the same tolerance here and save our derision for members who insult other members for no good purpose.

Happy motoring.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think dreamers are necessary but unless he's building it as a show car it makes no sense. All the work is going to be custom to make it fit and look right. People have put Magnum noses on Chargers and vice versa but for me it seemed like an exercise to promote a shop or personal skills. Nothing wrong with that. I think he should put a Crossfire nose on a BMW.

Les

Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar or No Car
I'm with the OP here. He didn't ask whether you thought the project was worthy, he asked for some technical advice. His response to your derision is entirely appropriate and you owe him a collective apology.

On another car forum all the members agreed this type of criticism helps nobody. We just say, "It's your car, do what you want with it." I recommend we adopt the same tolerance here and save our derision for members who insult other members for no good purpose.

Happy motoring.

Ditto! Otherwise we'd still be baffled by the "Nay Sayers"..

Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular

Teck's threads result in the same desire to close my browser and walk away from the forum until he disappears for months. Every single thread has lacked a real point or seemed to be an effort in futility.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Free speech is in the constitution and American as apple pie.... for now........ if you ask for opinions expect some negative 1's as well as the good 1's. That being said does any body have some good advice as to how he should go about the swap if he really intends to do it? I can give mechanical advice but have done no body work on my xfire so would not presume to know what was involved.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmaier
... have done no body work on my xfire so would not presume to know what was involved.
IMHO it would take more than the average Xfire's purchase price to procure the necessary parts, even if from a wrecked car, fabricate all the custom pieces necessary, paint and reassemble. If you can do all the work yourself, maybe a possibility, but unless there is a strong driving force, or you own a shop trying to show off certain abilities, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_HBC
Teck's threads result in the same desire to close my browser and walk away from the forum until he disappears for months. Every single thread has lacked a real point or seemed to be an effort in futility.

You don't know about our ignore button feature?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rmaier
That being said does any body have some good advice as to how he should go about the swap if he really intends to do it?

Sorry, I'm being an @ss today.

Quick Reply: R-170 Front End Swap?