Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hello

Old 07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Hello guys

I'm planning on buying a Crossfire this fall, but I have a few questions if you don't mind..

1) Is there any difference between the 2004 and 2005 limited models? The 2004 currently has $1500 cash from Chrysler and $1000 more if you finance with Chrysler financial. What do you think? Any big (if any at all) improvements?

Some really stupid questions, but they're important to me

2)Does the crossfire have courtesy lights, like when you hit your unlock key, do the lights illuminate?

3) I saw the different LCD screens in the instrument panel, what information does that display? Is it as detailed as a Mercedes C-class panel with oil, gas, speed, radio etc? The reason I ask is because I have a C230 on order with mercedes but on my way home from a test drive i passed a crossfire in a nearby lot and fell in love 8)

Sorry for the stupid questions, but Chrysler.com isn't that specific

Thanks guys

Old 07-06-2004, 06:12 PM

Good choice remember that Xfire you looked at is a SLK320 in disguise! Open the hood and try to find a DC badge its kinda like where's waldo!! and I've yet to still find the big star!

1) ... pretty unclear to me.. I think you get an adjustable steering column... and the little bugs that were there like the manual problem, rear trunk squeek.... those should be gone.... i didnt have any problems with my trunk or anything like that...

2) Yes when you hit the alarm button lights kick on and off... when you open the door the lights turn on... the dashboard turns on with the time and what not there ...

3) The time.. Mileage... trip counter...

They arent stupid at all!! and I enjoy the C-class Mercs... but this isnt a c230... this is a two seater sports car Going from a sedan styled thing to this is a big jump! but if its what you are looking for then your in luck big time! ... like i said before... this is a Merc car... its built in Germany/Austria ... its designed off the slk320 and not just a little bit... its pretty much the EXACT same car... if your looking for major power then look into the SRT-6... Merc AMG line up is massive and the low end AMG's have incredible power also! so remember that stock ... this isnt supercharged like those cars!

but I think you should give it a test drive.. as long as you dont live in michigan... cuz too many people own them here already!! :evil:

Old 07-06-2004, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the response Boba!

For #2, I was talking about the unlock button on the keyless entry. Do the lights turn on when that key is hit? (I've found out its a very very nice and subtle feature to have)

Thanks

Old 07-06-2004, 09:48 PM

hang on ill check right now...
*pause*

The front and rear lights flash on and off when you lock and unlock it... thats with the standard key feature...

with my Clifford / viper system it does beeps + lots of flashing lights and stuff like that...

but neither of them turn the interior lights on ... once you open the handle then the lights inside turn on...

sorry but the car is still really nice LOL

Old 07-06-2004, 10:15 PM

LOL i meant the exterior lights, your headlamps, do they turn on when you hit the unlock on keyless entry. (can you tell i had a bad experience without it) haha

Old 07-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hello

Originally Posted by efru
1) Is there any difference between the 2004 and 2005 limited models? The 2004 currently has $1500 cash from Chrysler and $1000 more if you finance with Chrysler financial. What do you think? Any big (if any at all) improvements?
all the reviews and information i've seen, including chrysler's (sometimes incorrect) website, state that the 2005 has a telescopic steering adjustment. someone on this site several months ago suggested that tilt steering had been added for 2005. if so, that is the only "significant" change between the model years. the 2004 is a better buy than the 2005 right now, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. keep in mind that more than 25K 2004 crossfires were produced. their vin #s are sequential so you can buy one that was built later in the year. if there was a stop in the assembly line before producing the 05s, it was probably only long enough to drink a warm draught. roughly 12K crossfires (including 05 roadsters) have been sold so far in the u.s., so some dealers will have 04s in inventory for quite some time (no doubt some will still be for sale in 05). fall will probably shape up to be a good time to buy your crossfire because it is quite possible that rebates and discounts will increase. unfortunately, crossfire sales fell somewhat in june perhaps corresponding to the reduction in the previous rebate ($2.5K).

Old 07-06-2004, 10:50 PM

LOL i meant the exterior lights, your headlamps, do they turn on when you hit the unlock on keyless entry. (can you tell i had a bad experience without it) haha
just looked out the front door and hit unlock...

no, the headlamps don't light. the amber lights above the headlamps do light though. and the interior lights illuminate.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Good enough for me, as long as theres some light.

Sorry for all the questions, just making sure this is my car (and its appearing to be )

Does the xfire have a rain sensor thing like other mercedes models, where a sensor will adjust the wipers based on the water on the windshield?

The huge appeal to me for this car is that there isn't a single one in the cities where I live (Central Wisconsin)..I have never, ever, seen one of these on the road where I live. :lol:

Old 07-06-2004, 11:48 PM

Does the xfire have a rain sensor thing like other mercedes models, where a sensor will adjust the wipers based on the water on the windshield?

The huge appeal to me for this car is that there isn't a single one in the cities where I live (Central Wisconsin)..I have never, ever, seen one of these on the road where I live. :lol:
No rain sensors. Too bad, because I was used to that too. But...the intermittant wipers work just fine.

Quit re-thinking every detail. Just go buy one - enjoy - meet other XF owners - and HAFUN!!!! :wink:

Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 AM

test drive it u'll like it!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Forum Regular

The wipers do slow down when at a stop sign....

-marc

Old 07-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intermittent wiper setting is not adjustable by the driver, but as stated does change wiping speed on it's own. Don't know if it's based on a water sensor or just the vehicle speed or whatever though...

ditto. If they were as ubiquitous as Z's, RX8's, TT's, etc. the appeal would not be there for me either. If they ever DO get that popular, perhaps the Airflite will be out by then and I'll be ready to upgrade... 8)

Old 07-07-2004, 08:52 AM

wisconsin! woohoo! there aren't many of us...you dont' have to worry about seeing me too much though...i'm from the appleton area. just cool to hear of someone else from wisconsin maybe having one.

honestly, i highly recommend the xfire. i love every aspect of mine....

Old 07-07-2004, 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm 99% positive I'll be buying this car (hopefully a 2004)

Goat, we should meet up sometime (when i do get the car). I bet it would be pretty funny for two xfires to be riding right next to each other, as I haven't even seen ONE by itself :twisted:

Old 07-07-2004, 09:15 AM

What do you think a good asking price for a 2004 is? I know a lot of dealers around here have had there xfire since january and are looking to get rid of them for 05. I saw online somewhere where it had the exact package I wanted and was asking 33,750. Should i talk them down to 33? Also, Chrysler has 1500 cash back and 1000 more if you finance through chrysler financial, so (hopefully) the car would come out to 30,500. Sound too low?

Old 07-07-2004, 09:55 AM

Not all Chrysler dealerships will offer the 1500 rebate. The first dealer I went to only knew about the $1000 rebate for financing through Chrysler. The general manager of the second dealer I went to said that the $1500 rebate was available to dealers that make a certain crossfire sales quota or something. Basically, make sure you buy from a dealer that knows A LOT about the car. It will make your buying experience a lot better. $33750 sounds fair to me, considering it's close to invoice price for an autostick. I know Carmax Orlando is selling them for less, but that may be with rebates included in the final price.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:45 AM

What do you think a good asking price for a 2004 is? I know a lot of dealers around here have had there xfire since january and are looking to get rid of them for 05. I saw online somewhere where it had the exact package I wanted and was asking 33,750. Should i talk them down to 33? Also, Chrysler has 1500 cash back and 1000 more if you finance through chrysler financial, so (hopefully) the car would come out to 30,500. Sound too low?
No, it sounds about right. A dealer in my area still has 20 04s. They are advertising them on their web site for $30.7K with the autostick (includes rebates and freight, before taxes, etc.).

Old 07-07-2004, 10:51 AM

My dealer has this 33,750 before rebates, so I think I'll take him up on this.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:51 PM

I paid $28k for mine with a 6-speed.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

My dealer has this 33,750 before rebates, so I think I'll take him up on this.
it's horrible!

invoice for the 6 speed is $31,158 ($32,203 with destination charge)

invoice for the automagic is $32,147 ($33,192 with destination charge)

Always buy at the end of the month when they need to fill the quota then follow these rules:

Rule one - never pay more than invoice - the dealer hold back is usually 3-5% which they make when selling it at the invoice price. The only time they can get away with charging over invoice is when something brand new comes out, hold out six to eight months and save some cash unless you have it to burn. If you get it at invoice (before adding rebates etc) then you did better than most people.

Rule two - Always demad fleet pricing (usually 1% below invoice)

Rule three - if a newer year model is on the lot then demand dealer cost because you have a lot of leverage here. They need to get rid of it and you want to buy it. This should be about 3-5% below invoice price. Tell them that they need to sell it at this price to make up for the devaluatoin of buying last years model due to resale, otherwise you want a 2005 at fleet (or invoice) price. :twisted:

Rule four - you add in the rebates or allowance after the above price is negoited.

-marc