Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

bumpy ride?!?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bumpy ride?!?

Hi i am reasonably new to my crossfire N/A i have had it for about 5 months now.
I just want to know what your comments are about the ride quality, I am only 21 so my bones / back should be able to cope well with ALL sports cars fine... i bought the crossfire second hand so i do not know if the suspension has gotten any work on it, the ride to me is really bumpy even on a smooth highway... is this normal? i am seriously considering buying after market suspension/ what ever else i need so i can adjust the ride quality for long drives!

Is there certain tires what wreck the ride? or anything i can easily change i have looked at my shocks/suspension all looks good ect

cheers for any comments.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: bumpy ride?!?

Tire brand can make a huge difference... The previous owner of my SRT had installed Nittos on the front... very harsh. I had Continental DWS on my Mandrus wheels... even with the tires being shot, the ride improved

So, tires are certainly a contributing factor. If your car has a decent amount of miles on it, a good set of shocks would work wonders as bad shocks will ruin the ride quality. Bilstein shocks are among the best if you're at stock ride height... $400 for a set and they're a breeze to swap out.

Aside from that, the Crossfire is simply a firm-riding car. If you think the Limited is bad, you should drive an SRT-6. The suspension in that car is as comfortable as falling down a staircase.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM

yeah i was thinking the tires might have a bit to do with the ride , i have cheap tires on now but before hand when i got the car it had decent brand tires on and the ride still felt the same so ill have too look into that thanks , the car has done 100000kms , so miles that would be 60k? not sure thanks i might get those bilstein shocks sounds like a cheapish price to maybe fix or improve the ride.

yeah well i know they made the car very stiff... and you can feel that with the n/a, haha i would love to see the power of the srt-6! thanks for your help

Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM

With that mileage, the shocks are definitely due for a refreshing.

Shocks are cheaper than tires, I'd try those first.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Bilstein shocks are among the best if you're at stock ride height... $400 for a set and they're a breeze to swap out.
Hey John, would you happen to have a link for those?? Are there differences between those and stock that would affect tire size more so than stock?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Hey John, would you happen to have a link for those?? Are there differences between those and stock that would affect tire size more so than stock?
So, $114 each.

Bilstein HD Shock

Gotta love price bumps...

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM

And shocks won't affect tire size. They will not lower the car at all.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Awesome!!! Thanks John.... so when you say a breeze to swap out, you talkin 6 pack, 12 or 18?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Awesome!!! Thanks John.... so when you say a breeze to swap out, you talkin 6 pack, 12 or 18?
Three beers, or only two if they're pints.

Break the tension on the upper shock bolts while car is on ground. Place front of car on jackstands. Position jack under the front lower control arm, put some load on the shock. Remove upper nut from shock, and loosen lower bolts. Release tension from jack, you should be able to wiggle the upper portion of the shock free. Remove shock, replace with new one, reverse the process.

Repeat for the rear, the only difference being the removal of trim panels first.

Also, be prepared to grunt a lot on the rears unless you remove the springs. Seating the bottom of the shock in the rear recessed area correctly is a nightmare. Normally takes a few tries.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Three beers, or only two if they're pints.

Break the tension on the upper shock bolts while car is on ground. Place front of car on jackstands. Position jack under the front lower control arm, put some load on the shock. Remove upper nut from shock, and loosen lower bolts. Release tension from jack, you should be able to wiggle the upper portion of the shock free. Remove shock, replace with new one, reverse the process.

Repeat for the rear, the only difference being the removal of trim panels first.

Also, be prepared to grunt a lot on the rears unless you remove the springs. Seating the bottom of the shock in the rear recessed area correctly is a nightmare. Normally takes a few tries.
Doesnt sound too bad at all . Thanks for the How-to, at least I now know what Im up against. Originally I wanted to lower the car, but I like where it sits. Im just going to improve whats there currently.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably too obvious but I suggest making sure the proper amount of air is in the tires. A little overinflated and the XF feels much rougher in my experience.

R

Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 AM

thanks guys sounds pretty easy to change the shocks... i will have a look at the tire pressure aswell i think they are around 32 i might let some air out

Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by exshankerz
thanks guys sounds pretty easy to change the shocks... i will have a look at the tire pressure aswell i think they are around 32 i might let some air out
I wouldnt let air out. The specs are 32/33 I beleive (I could be backwards) but underinflating can cause uneven wear and some serious things could happen if you let out too much. Just leave it at factory specs and change the shocks.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 396 Likes on 340 Posts

I wouldnt let air out. The specs are 32/33 I beleive (I could be backwards) but underinflating can cause uneven wear and some serious things could happen if you let out too much. Just leave it at factory specs and change the shocks.
+1 on this, one pound over wouldn't hurt but seeing as your a stiff ride, I would also look at the shocks. BTW, is the car lowered or suspension changed in any way? Might have stabilizer bar excessively loaded.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The short wheelbase will result in a choppy ride, but it should not be rough (pounding). Unless you have a lot of miles, the oem shocks should be good. I can't tell any difference with 37k on mine. The low profile tires will definitely contribute to a firm ride since there is not much sidewall to soak up bumps.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Forum Regular

Tire brand can make a huge difference...*True, that's why I go with Pilot Sports.* Aside from that, the Crossfire is simply a firm-riding car. If you think the Limited is bad, you should drive an SRT-6. The suspension in that car is as comfortable as falling down a staircase.
Depends on which state you live in. CalTrans and the weather mitigates this here to a great extent. Never heard a ride complaint yet...only furtive passenger looks at the speedo...err maybe the quaint head-unit displays.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this for the first time today, some of the roads near my house aren't in the best shape. As I was driving, I noticed nearly every bump in the road and when i hit a small bump or dip on one side it seemed like the whole car wanted to jerk that way. I just assumed that this comes with the territory of owning a small sport's coupe.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM

nah it seems to be all stock, yeah the short wheel base does not help haha i was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem i thought mabye it was just me i have read a few reviews how they say the ride isnt that bad :? i guess i am driving alot on back roads in Australia (Not the best) im pretty sure i have put my back out now lol , but will suss out the shocks ect

Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM

I would play with the tire pressure too !!!! Made a big change in the way mine rode !!! I ended up with higher pressure in back for better ride !!!! Dont figure but it worked !!!!!