Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

it's official, the drug lords new car of choice

Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its called multi-tasking... anyone can pay attention to the road and listen / watch a video... its really not hard... ive been doing it for a long time now... it takes the whole "traffic jam" and really turns it upside down

its really no more distracting then singing a song while your listening to the radio... or watching other cars while you are driving... 0 tickets... 0 accidents... well over 80,000 logged miles on all my vehicles... Most people can handle doing two things at once... and im not gonna crack any "women"jokes at that...

Old 07-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
and im not gonna crack any "women"jokes at that...
Women Drivers Crash More Than Men

The statistics tell a paradoxical story. According to a controversial study by researchers at the John Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health, women are more likely to be involved in car crashes than men - despite the fact that men are three times more likely to be killed when they do crash.

As reported in the June issue of Epidemiology, American women were involved in 5.7 crashes per million miles driven. Men, on the other hand, clocked up just 5.1 crashes per million miles. Given the fact that men drive an estimated 74 per cent more miles per year than women, the figure is surprising indeed.

"Although risk-taking behaviours may contribute to the excessive injury mortality among men and younger drivers, up to now age and sex discrepancies in death rates from motor vehicle crashes have not been well understood," says lead author Guohua Li, associate professor of emergency medicine.

Using crash statistics gathered by the Fatal Accident Reporting System, the General Estimates System and the Nationwide Personal Transportation Survey, the researchers developed an innovative method called "decomposition" to break down the data into new categories and weigh the relative contribution of three variables: crash fatality, incidence density (number of crashes per million miles) and exposure prevalence (annual average miles driven per driver). Until now, the death rate ratio has always been based on just two factors: fatality and accident rates.

The investigators discovered that teenage boys start recklessly, with about 20 per cent more crashes per mile driven than teenage girls. Males and females between the ages of 20 and 35 run almost identical risks. Females over the age of 35, however, are significantly more likely to crash than their male counterparts.

Each year, motor vehicle crashes in America claim a staggering 40,000 lives, cause three million injuries and cost the nation $140 billion.

Now guess which one of these two wrecks had a male driver?

If you guessed the last one then you are probably right! Now you know why men are more likely to die in an accident... :wink:

Old 07-12-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by drunkiq
Females over the age of 35, however, are significantly more likely to crash than their male counterparts.
Hmm.... then it would make sense for my insurance to be lower now - and go up when I become 35! I'm calling my rep... again... :roll:

Old 07-12-2004, 01:03 PM

its called multi-tasking... anyone can pay attention to the road and listen / watch a video... its really not hard... ive been doing it for a long time now... it takes the whole "traffic jam" and really turns it upside down
Are you kidding me? Most drivers are barely capable of holding their lane let alone a constant speed or using turn signals. If they do have any knowledge of traffic laws personal convenience always takes precedence. Then put a cell phone in their face and you have an accident looking for a place to happen. Just last week I witnessed a 10 car pile up in morning traffic on the freeway at an astounding 25 mph. Can you imagine the carnage if you add front seat video monitors?

IMO, anyone who thinks driving with those kinds of distractions doesn't present a significant increased risk to themselves and everyone else on the road is a fool.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:10 PM

... and I eat cottage cheese for dinner... with salt... and pepper...

this arguement will go no where...

LOL Tdancer! I think you might be able to make a court case against that would be humorous to try to get it lowered for now and see if they forget... haha

Old 07-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Default you're right

You're right Boba, there argument will go nowhere, because there really IS no argument. Virtually every reputable study puts distractions as the major cause of accidents.

You're having logged only 80,000 miles...that's a drop in the bucket to what the average adult will have driven by the time he or she is 50. Some people on this board will drive that in a year.

That you have 0 accidents or tickets is more a matter of law of averages than an argument that 'multi tasking' especially watching a movie while driving, is not a potentially serious distraction.

You could be stone cold sober...but if you cause an accident due to your negligence, one that injures or kills someone, a defense of 'watching a dvd' will get you nowhere. Well, it WILL get you somewhere you don't want to go.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:29 PM

I guess im just a little risk taker then...

I'm surprised a hippy liberal such as yourself can be so for taking away social freedoms ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 07-12-2004, 04:34 PM

I'm probably the only one who finds all this humorous. Couple quick comments to keep the steam building... :P

1) If you can watch a DVD while driving, then you are driving way way way too slow. Try the other side of triple-digits and you won't be bored enough to watch a DVD.

2) That said, anyone got ideas on how to mount a Playstation controller so Boba' can play and drive? I have been thinking of the "Megas XLR" suicide-handle-style mount, but I think the steeringwheel would get in the way of the trigger buttons...

3) Speaking of suicide handles... Does anyone make these anymore? Occationally I will see one on an oolldd tractor, but I thought it would be great fun in the Xfire.

(Actually, #3 is serious).

Old 07-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess im just a little risk taker then...

I'm surprised a hippy liberal such as yourself can be so for taking away social freedoms ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek,
There's nothing even slightly funny about where you've taken this thread. You have a "social freedom" to watch movies in your car while you're driving? Are you REALLY that moronic? As if this so-called "social freedom" is some god-given right? You don't even have a "right" to drive a car (just ask a judge if he can take away your "right" to drive!), driving a vehicle is a priveledge, and when excercising that priveledge you have the responsibility to do so safely. Just because you either a) haven't got caught yet or b) haven't killed someone yet doesn't make it a wise choice.

First the comment about weaving in and out of traffic with rapid accellerations to 100+ MPH and back to 0, now this? What other moronic stunts do you pull in your car every day?

Sheesh...do me a favor and drop a line if you're ever going to visit Virginia. Cuz I want to leave the state if you're gonna be on the roads here.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:29 PM

I don't want to make this into a bigger deal than it is, but I do hope this will make you think.

It's not like we all haven't seen someone on the road doing something foolish. The last time I drove to San Diego on Interstete 8 (in AZ the speed limit is 75, normal traffic speeed closer to 85) a woman driving a Cadillac SUV the size of a small planet blew by me like I was standing still. She was reading a newspaper while her obviously way too young daughter was steering from the middle seat. Yikes!

It appears by "soicial freedom" you mean you think you should have the right to do whatever you please, when ever and where ever you please.

If you are on the road alone, it's fine with me if you stand on your head and whistle Dixie out your behind because the only one at risk is you. But when you are in traffic and excersising your "social freedom" puts other people at risk, you are out of line. Never mind the damage to the vehicles, they are just lumps of metal. How would you feel if you hurt someone because you were watching "Debbie Does Dallas" instead of where you were going? The price you wind up paying could be awfully high.

Okay, I'm down off my soapbox and I'll try not to sound so much like your parents in the future.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tdancer2
Originally Posted by drunkiq
Females over the age of 35, however, are significantly more likely to crash than their male counterparts.
Hmm.... then it would make sense for my insurance to be lower now - and go up when I become 35! I'm calling my rep... again... :roll:
This was actually true for me...I called around for car insurance last year and found a couple companies that quoted a higher rate for single women over 40 despite no tickets or accidents in the past. Seems they figured out I really am a wild child. 8) :wink:

As for the fact that more women are in accidents than men...I would venture to say that men CAUSE more accidents that women then get into...that is, women are too cautious/nervous and don't know how to react or over-react to those guys who zip around them...so they do the fender benders while Mr. Zippy, when he does lose it, he REALLY loses it! :shock:

For me, the faster I drive, the more alert I am to everything on the road...90mph is much safer than 55 if you ask me.

Old 07-13-2004, 01:00 AM

HOLY **** DAVE!!! I was just in Virginia !!! THANK GOD YOUR OKAY!!! I was for sure I was gonna kill you or something!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is your state still okay after my aftermath!??!? I know I caused at least 23 accidents the few hours it took me too go 192mph through it!!!! Wheew... the site sure was pretty but pretty much a big blur! :lol:

I love getting parented by many of the people on the forum makes me feel my age again! Thank you all for reminding me how young I am ... and how glad I am for my lonnnnnnng future that still awaits me and my Xfire... :lol:

Old 07-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Forum Regular

Bobba:

Just when I think you are starting to come around, you go and post something like this......

Opinions from someone you consider to be old:

You are not invincible.
Your way is not always the right way.
Things are not always black or white.
You are not the only person on the road.
Experience is sometimes better than youthful excitement.

Most of the people here are trying to give you some helpful advice, so that you can have that lonnnnnnnnng future that you think awaits you.

In simple point of fact, there is nothing certain in life but death! But why help that along by taking chances proven to be unwise?

Sorry to be such a downer........ But on the other hand, I don't want to be killed by you while you are playing a young Burt Reynolds while watching Smokey and the Bandit on your car DVD player!!!

Just give it some thought......

Old 07-13-2004, 10:23 AM

Thank you Jsjabella... I didn't know death was certain... because in the light of Ray Kurtzweil its not... interesting author who is very famous in our world for developing marvels of technology.... he predicts that my generation will never die... we will be perserved in a type of global database.. since every person is nothing but enegry... and brain waves are no different then a on and a off... we can be easily copied over to a system where everyone can live "forever"....

I take plenty of advice in my life... from my friends, family, professors... and you know what advice I take the most... to be myself... and if myself is a cocky smart *** person much like my father before me.... then thats just me.... do i mean half the stuff I say to you all... probably not! ... but I try to have some fun because not everything in life should be serious...

so take some advice from me... "laugh a little" ... I'm not dead yet... and nor have I killed anyone else... maybe in the decent future I could only be lucky enough to go out with a bang! As long as that bang doesn't hurt someone else I wouldn't mind going that way... but for now like I said... just take what I posted as a grain of salt... I don't endanger peoples lives unless your playing against me in paintball

Old 07-13-2004, 12:08 PM

I don't endanger peoples lives unless your playing against me in paintball
Bring it on! 8)

Old 07-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Default Re: it's official, the drug lords new car of choice

Originally Posted by thmccarthy
so.. i was at the car wash with HTTP410 this morning when another crossfire pulled up. Yep, two (16 & 17 year old) kids with a black & silver XFire with new spinner wheels & a digital video navigation system.... makes me sick................
How is that being a drug dealer...........perfect example of stereotyping people. What this world need is less people like you

Old 07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diane

For me, the faster I drive, the more alert I am to everything on the road...90mph is much safer than 55 if you ask me. :D

The faster you drive you better be more alert because at 90mph your traveling at a 100 ft per sec at least! good luck when the guy in front does'nt see you coming!

Old 07-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I win the lottery and have 16 & 17 year old kids...I'll buy 'em a Crossfire. My kids shouldn't own a Honda while living in a multi-million dollar house

Old 07-13-2004, 01:30 PM

Boba - I really enjoy listening to your point of view. Some old farts can remember having very similar views of the world once. A few points to ponder.

1. Becoming an old fart has almost as much to do with luck as it does skill so try to avoid pushing your luck to often.
2. Evolution is constantly at play, busily weeding out the careless.
3. Pain Hurts.

Hey life is short. Do what you want. But do try to limit how many others you involve in the consequences of your actions.

Okay the soap box is now available for the next person to give their "the meaning of life" speech.

Old 07-13-2004, 01:46 PM

OOOOO Tdancer you want some of this?!?! LOL

I'm with Punisher on this one... I'm probably one of the most preppy people you might ever meet... I've never have done drugs or sold drugs... I don't act ghetto or want to be ghetto... and I own a DVD player in my car...

Uncle Al! I'm not calling anyone here OLD! nor OLD FARTS ... I was just taking the view of me being younger... and being told to do things that in theory is a given right... by whatever god you worship... Everyone has the opinion to speed... drift in and out of traffic... even pass on the shoulder if they like! ... Just because I state that its a choice doesn't mean I follow these illegal acts... I'm just saying... If I see another Enzo on Woodward going 10 mph under the speed limit... im gonna pull the basterd outta the car and show him how to drive it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know im a pain in the *** on this forum sometimes... picking arguments that maybe easier if I just didn't respond... but I think sometimes things need to be mixed up to give a different taste!!! :idea:

Quick Reply: it's official, the drug lords new car of choice