Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

30,000 miles. what needs servicing?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,000 miles. what needs servicing?

This is my first car, and so far I have done all repairs myself (would like to keep it that way)
So far, my 30,000 mile service list has:

-Oil change
-and maybe brakes pads (the front left is starting to squeak a bit)...

anything else to add to my list? Also, what are some good/low priced ceramic pads (anything without dust)?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Re: 30,000 miles. what needs servicing?

Originally Posted by Gpeterson119
Also, what are some good/low priced ceramic pads (anything without dust)?

Centric Posi-Quiets, I run them AND GOT THE WHOLE SET (FRONT AND BACK) VERY CHEAPLY AT AUTOPARTSWAREHOUSE.COM (ooopscaps sorry) for $70.58 last year. Centric part numbers 105.07400 front and 105.07790 rear WITH a discount code from retailmenot.com for autopartswareheous.com. Also, there was free shipping on the order too! Many how-to for brake jobs on forum. BTW the pads are totally dust free (unlike OEM messy ones) and very easy to keep clean rims.

PS: The rear pads are easiest, remove the wheel and just slide the top center pin out, take out the clip, and the pads slip out/in! After, put clip and pin back in

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 08-26-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 AM

Great thanks! anything else you can think of? what about fluids? I have never checked my transmission fluid, nor do I know how to. What about coolant? etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Great thanks! anything else you can think of? what about fluids? I have never checked my transmission fluid, nor do I know how to. What about coolant? etc.

Sorry, the only fluids I have done are oil changes and WW fluid.. Mine only has 13.5K on it.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I did the cooling system flush at 45,000 miles, 50/50 Zerex G-05 and distilled water.

you might want to replace the air filters and cabin air filter. ( also clean out the heater/AC fan, it loves to accumulate leaves and such )

Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Centric Posi-Quiets, I run them AND GOT THE WHOLE SET (FRONT AND BACK) VERY CHEAPLY AT AUTOPARTSWAREHOUSE.COM (ooopscaps sorry) for $70.58 last year. Centric part numbers 105.07400 front and 105.07790 rear WITH a discount code from retailmenot.com for autopartswareheous.com. Also, there was free shipping on the order too! Many how-to for brake jobs on forum. BTW the pads are totally dust free (unlike OEM messy ones) and very easy to keep clean rims.

PS: The rear pads are easiest, remove the wheel and just slide the top center pin out, take out the clip, and the pads slip out/in! After, put clip and pin back in
Greg,

I highly recommend the the Posi-Quiets. You have seen my wheels. I have about 1500 miles on the pads. I have never had to scrub the wheels since I had them put on. I hose them off, dry them(so there are no water spots), spray on a little CG P-40 detail spray and they stay clean and shined for weeks.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 30K you are overdue for a brake fluid flush, and as other stated, I would do coolant as well.

The other things on the list, you do not have the mileage for, but definitely the age. Many here overlook the fact that not everything is mileage, a lot is age related as well. Now I am not telling anyone to swap out plugs on a 5K mile car, but at 30K and a potential of being up to 8 years old, I would think about it, as well as the fuel filter and differential.

How old is the car?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by geogramps
Greg,

I highly recommend the the Posi-Quiets. You have seen my wheels. I have about 1500 miles on the pads. I have never had to scrub the wheels since I had them put on. I hose them off, dry them(so there are no water spots), spray on a little CG P-40 detail spray and they stay clean and shined for weeks.
Great! thanks guys, I will be sure to buy these when I pull out the checkbook.

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
At 30K you are overdue for a brake fluid flush, and as other stated, I would do coolant as well.

The other things on the list, you do not have the mileage for, but definitely the age. Many here overlook the fact that not everything is mileage, a lot is age related as well. Now I am not telling anyone to swap out plugs on a 5K mile car, but at 30K and a potential of being up to 8 years old, I would think about it, as well as the fuel filter and differential.

How old is the car?
-You are probably right on the age portion, thank you for pointing that out. My car is a 2006, already 6 years old, and you make a good point that many fluids and parts are probably getting old.
-Refering to what alaxfire stated, I could do and probably should do the air filters and fan cleaning.
-Now, when referring to brake flushes and coolant flushes, would those be things I would have to pay a shop to complete? Same question for the fuel filter.
-Is there a way I can check my spark plugs, to see if they are in good condition?
-Differential, you mean differential fluid change right?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my inadequate knowledge.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM

It really depends on what tools you have available to you. Brake fluid is a pretty easy deal if you have a helper, spark plugs are easy but certainly not due yet (maybe shoot for 50K which is still early). Fuel filter isn't due and as far as the diff goes, yes, that's what he's refering to, but 30k seems quite early. I'd go for 50K as long as you drive it frequently and then do plugs, fuel filter, A/T fluid and if you're feeling saucey, diff fluid. Air filters and cabin filter though are pretty simple and are due if they haven't been replaced.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM

If it is a car you plan on keeping, I would recommend you follow my advice, the plugs can probably wait, but the rest would be advisable. I have seen the diff fluid first hand from XFs ranging from about 30K, up to 60K and it is some nasty stuff either way, but usually less debris in the 30K mile fluid. My fuel filter at 45K was rusted to $hit, not exactly what I want my 93 octane fuel running through, its a $50 part, and takes a decent mechanic about 20 minutes to complete, you will need new hose clamps if the new one does not come with them...

He says no fuel filter or spark plugs, but based on age, our service guide seems to disagree, by a few years...
  • Replace fuel filter and air cleaner filter element (60,000 miles or 4 years).
  • Replace spark plugs. (1000,000 miles or 5 years).
  • Replace engine coolant using extended life coolant (1000,000 miles or 5 years).
Not trying to start a fight, but very few maintain these cars as they should and think because they are low mileage everything is perfectly fine for a 6-8 year old car, when in actuality, parts are deteriorating...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a car you plan on keeping, I would recommend you follow my advice, the plugs can probably wait, but the rest would be advisable. I have seen the diff fluid first hand from XFs ranging from about 30K, up to 60K and it is some nasty stuff either way, but usually less debris in the 30K mile fluid. My fuel filter at 45K was rusted to $hit, not exactly what I want my 93 octane fuel running through, its a $50 part, and takes a decent mechanic about 20 minutes to complete, you will need new hose clamps if the new one does not come with them...

He says no fuel filter or spark plugs, but based on age, our service guide seems to disagree, by a few years...
  • Replace fuel filter and air cleaner filter element (60,000 miles or 4 years).
  • Replace spark plugs. (1000,000 miles or 5 years).
  • Replace engine coolant using extended life coolant (1000,000 miles or 5 years).
Not trying to start a fight, but very few maintain these cars as they should and think because they are low mileage everything is perfectly fine for a 6-8 year old car, when in actuality, parts are deteriorating...
Replace spark plugs and coolant at 1,000,000 miles?! Wow, these engines ARE built to last

And I can attest to the cabin filter. The 3rd owner and at 101k miles, I don't think mine was ever changed until I did it today.

Last edited by Indelibility; 08-29-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

John is right. I did my coolant at 60,000 and even that was kinda late. I'm doing fuel filter, plugs, diff and brake fluid as soon as I can - but it looks like I'm on business travel almost 100% until the week of the Fall Dragon... gonna be close to have it done before the fun.

Boiler - what is the viscosity of the diff fluid? How hot does the rear end need to be to be easily drained?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
John is right. I did my coolant at 60,000 and even that was kinda late. I'm doing fuel filter, plugs, diff and brake fluid as soon as I can - but it looks like I'm on business travel almost 100% until the week of the Fall Dragon... gonna be close to have it done before the fun.

Boiler - what is the viscosity of the diff fluid? How hot does the rear end need to be to be easily drained?
Mark, I can not remember exactly because when I did it, I was buying diff fluid, tranny fluid, coolant, etc and get all the numbers confused, but for some reason 75w90 is sticking in my head.

We had no problems getting mine out and it was luke warm at best, we did not warm it up intentionally, but I have access to a nice pump with a fitting that does the diff very well. Not a difficult service at all, but makes all the difference in the world, when I did this car (at roughly 45K) it was almost as if I modded it because the power was more free to transfer....

Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the great tips guys. I already bought a cabin filter, air filters, new posi quiet ceramic pads, and stuff for an oil change.
I still don't know enough to start buying fluids for coolant, diff. and brakes;
but I will probably get the fuel filter. (If I can find out which one to get)
Then when I go to the shop, to get the filter put in, I might just tell them to do the coolant, diff. and brakes as well.
For those of you who go to shops, do you usually buy the fluid and give it to the mechanic to use? Or do you just trust him to use the right stuff?
What about transmission? Should I do that too?
I might wait to do the plugs in a few months, when a few more pay checks come in.... This stuff adds up

Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great tips guys. I already bought a cabin filter, air filters, new posi quiet ceramic pads, and stuff for an oil change.
I still don't know enough to start buying fluids for coolant, diff. and brakes;
but I will probably get the fuel filter. (If I can find out which one to get)
Then when I go to the shop, to get the filter put in, I might just tell them to do the coolant, diff. and brakes as well.
For those of you who go to shops, do you usually buy the fluid and give it to the mechanic to use? Or do you just trust him to use the right stuff?
What about transmission? Should I do that too?
I might wait to do the plugs in a few months, when a few more pay checks come in.... This stuff adds up
Way too soon for plugs/wires. But for fluid swaps, I always buy the fluid and bring it to the mechanic. Makes their job a bit easier, puts your mind at ease, and you get oem fluid running through your car still.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Way too soon for plugs/wires.
Not trying to start anything, but how can you say that? He is looking for advice on what is recommended and his car is a 2006, which means it was more than likely produced in 2005, making it at least 7 years old. Clearly above, directly from the manual, it states 5 years for plugs. I understand there is some room to fudge, especially with low miles, but at least give the guy accurate info based on Mercedes engineers' data, not your opinion...

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Not trying to start anything, but how can you say that? He is looking for advice on what is recommended and his car is a 2006, which means it was more than likely produced in 2005, making it at least 7 years old. Clearly above, directly from the manual, it states 5 years for plugs. I understand there is some room to fudge, especially with low miles, but at least give the guy accurate info based on Mercedes engineers' data, not your opinion...
+1 to that, I did my plugs early last year at about 44,000 ( 2005 Roadster ), and some of them definitely needed it .......

Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks for all your imputs, Its all appreciated.
I know most of you have done all of this already, I was wondering what fluids , spark plugs, and fuel filters you guys used so I can start buying those too.
ATF: So far from searching around, a lot of people wanted shell ATF but its out of stock, and others use mobile one 1-75-140 or royal purple 75-140
Brake fluid: I saw it has to be DOT 4? and people use valvoline, or ATE super blu?
Differential: synthetic SAE 75W-85 axle lubricant? I have no idea what kind is good. I read many people having trouble finding lube in the right specs. Most people were finding lubes around 75W-90 or 75W-140.
Coolant: What color is your 50/50 Zerex G-05 and distilled water Alax? Mine is like a red or orange color.... I know OEM is supposed to be blue.
Fuel filter: looks like a Bosch/Mahle ?
Plugs: NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs Part#BKR6EIX-11 ? one guy used bosch iridium 9600 but his car was going to ****, so I don't know about those.

Thanks again for all your guys' help/input!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM

The Zerex G-05 has no color - it is as clear as a Rocky Mountain gurgling stream .....

Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular

Oops, I didn't see the year of his car.

Quick Reply: 30,000 miles. what needs servicing?