Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

So final help with the Xfire

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So final help with the Xfire

OK so paper work is going through with the jeep It should be gone this weekend!! so that means its time to decide what crossfire I want! So last time I was on here I posted a link of a guy that had a xfire that was a 2005 auto with 70000 miles for 8500. Yall gave me the impression that it was too many miles. But is it I like the car a lot though.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So final help with the Xfire

Mine has 75000 on it now. I bought it with 67000 a little over a year ago. Not a drop of trouble with it. If you plan to drive it anyway current milage isnt as important.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are great little cars. I bought mine last year with 40K miles. I put 20K miles on her in 8 months. Purchase an extended warranty (parts are expensive) and you should be good to go.

DRIVE HAPPY!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

I don't know that sounded like a good deal to me. I'm closing in on 3 years wih mine. I bought it with 55 k on the clock for $9750.00. Today I have about 95k on her. I've not had any problems to speak of other than wear items and I push it hard. Once you get one I agree it matters little about the miles on the car andni think the price matters little. Once you start driving it you'll forget it if you paid too much or if it had to many miles. The car is fun and the group here is great. JUST BUY ONE AND GET ON THE TWISTIES!!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Every used car is a pig in a poke. I bought a coupe at 45K and put 25K on it, then bought the roadster with 65K and have put 30K on it. The weak spots on our cars are well known. If they have been addressed, you will do normal maintenance plus repair whatever damage you do.

Some folks fantasize they'll only have to pay for gas and oil for the life of the car. They are always disappointed, but that does not dispel the belief and they try again with a different car. Definition of insanity...

A reasonable annual repair budget is $2500 in the absence of warranty. That's ~$200 a month. If that's too steep for you, you don't want a used car -- buy new, pay anyway and have more peace of mind.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mopar or No Car
Every used car is a pig in a poke. I bought a coupe at 45K and put 25K on it, then bought the roadster with 65K and have put 30K on it. The weak spots on our cars are well known. If they have been addressed, you will do normal maintenance plus repair whatever damage you do.

Some folks fantasize they'll only have to pay for gas and oil for the life of the car. They are always disappointed, but that does not dispel the belief and they try again with a different car. Definition of insanity...

A reasonable annual repair budget is $2500 in the absence of warranty. That's ~$200 a month. If that's too steep for you, you don't want a used car -- buy new, pay anyway and have more peace of mind.
That's really depressing to hear

Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM

I have owned Corvettes. (Airplane engines in a cracker box.) High maintenance. Alfa Rameo. (to many relays go bad.) Nissan Zs. (Good cars. Not great) Fiat Spiders.
(Cute but junky little cars.Lots of problems) And last but not least. Crossfire roadster. Two years now. Drives great, very solid, feels like you have room and protection. By far the best of the lot. No issues in two years. If you do need parts. I understand you can get after market parts that are not to expensive. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

90,000 miles, .....suspect will last 400,000. 2 light bulbs have burned out so far. Still on original brake pads.
4th set of tires.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L.
90,000 miles, .....suspect will last 400,000. 2 light bulbs have burned out so far. Still on original brake pads.
4th set of tires.

Originally Posted by jdlindsay
I have owned Corvettes. (Airplane engines in a cracker box.) High maintenance. Alfa Rameo. (to many relays go bad.) Nissan Zs. (Good cars. Not great) Fiat Spiders.
(Cute but junky little cars.Lots of problems) And last but not least. Crossfire roadster. Two years now. Drives great, very solid, feels like you have room and protection. By far the best of the lot. No issues in two years. If you do need parts. I understand you can get after market parts that are not to expensive. Hope this helps.
That's what I want to hear!!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM

4 sets of tires @ 20K miles each. That's almost a set a year for normal daily drivers. If you're getting oil changed regularly that's three a year. Tires = $900, oil changes = $300 and if nothing goes wrong you've spent ~$100/month. Obviously those numbers are a little lower for people who don't need good tires and do their own oil changes. Please do the math and don't lead this poor OP down the primrose path. Over the life of a daily driver car you will spend what I said or you are deferring maintenance to the sucker who buys it from you. Chris, bless your heart, I wouldn't touch your car because you've done nothing in 90K miles.

Last edited by Mopar or No Car; 02-19-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

75K on an '05 - that's pretty low mileage over the life of the car so far (figuring 15K per year) but it enough mileage to say that it isn't a garage queen. Sometimes the low mileage cars are stuck in storage and haven't been properly prepared and that can be more damaging than driving it every day. Like several have basically said - you're buying a unique sports car that they don't make anymore. That will drive the cost of replacement parts higher. But, the flip side to that is these cars are pretty solid - and with 75K miles, any problems would (should) have been revealed by now. Do your research, get the history and make a good decision that works for you. You've been learning from this site for a while now, so you shouldn't be surprised about the care and maintenance cost. It is what it is - the better you care for the car now, the longer it will last you. You can spend a little each month to maintain it properly, or you can kick the can down the road and have a huge repair bill later.

Trust yourself - you'll make the right choice for what works for you.

Best of luck

RL

Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM

We bought ours for just over $10K with 103,000 miles on it...it was in very good shape, with the exception of some small scratches, and now dull clearcoat on the driver's side...mechanically, though, it's tremendous!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM

I change the oil every 7,000 miles or so according to the monitor. I buy the correct oil on sale & the Mann Fleece filters online & local shop charges $15 labor. I've had the proper brake fluid replaced once & new spark plugs ahead of schedule. Also had the proper coolant replacement. I'm just saying $2500 is WAY off base. Maybe where I live everything is less expensive.......(It's also got the LPW). Paid $40K.....but got 2 brand new ones for that price.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM

For the plugs, coolant, brake fluid $ an oil change a Chrysler dealership quoted something like $1,300........by buying the CORRECT parts/products & having the local garage do the labor......total cost was something like $350.

Also bought a fuel filter from Rock Auto.....with install = totaled about $65.
Air filters every 30K or so.

But these are routine maintenance items.......my point was "unexpected" expenses......

Last edited by Chris L.; 02-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

Chris,
How many miles are on Wilma ?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L.
I change the oil every 7,000 miles or so according to the monitor. I buy the correct oil on sale & the Mann Fleece filters online & local shop charges $15 labor. I've had the proper brake fluid replaced once & new spark plugs ahead of schedule. Also had the proper coolant replacement. I'm just saying $2500 is WAY off base. Maybe where I live everything is less expensive.......(It's also got the LPW). Paid $40K.....but got 2 brand new ones for that price.
And I am a "DIY" guy ever since I was little have a messed with cars and small engines so it will save the labor cost for me. I agree I think the cost might be high but 2500 a year seems extremely steep but ill learn the hard way if so haha. and by the way I take very good care of the things I have "mopar or no car" I treat them as if they were my child.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had my SRT6 for almost a year and do my own wrenching, nothing broke yet so my budget other than the performance mods is for an oil change, about $120 worth of oil. Also checked everything out, plugs, fluids etc. If you don't drive like an idiot and keep up with maintenance your yearly budget should be a whole lot less than $2500 a year however it's really hard to resist modding the car, it's fun and keeps you out of trouble but THAT is not cheap.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 AM

Since we've had our car, not quite a year, yet, the biggest expense has been for gas! $2,665. Maintenance: $521, which includes a new set of plugs, an oil change, headlight bulbs, front brake pads, two back tires, and a battery.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM

I think I spent $2500 within the first 3-6 months of owning it... on mods

Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Chris,
How many miles are on Wilma ?
She just crossed 18,000 miles.

Did you ever replace Pebbles?

I've concluded I'll never own a forced induction engine......my brother has a giant turbo diesel Ford truck with only 67,000 miles......had a $3,500 repair bill recently.

Quick Reply: So final help with the Xfire