Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Just wrecked my crossfire

Old 09-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wrecked my crossfire

On thursday I wrecked my beautiful red crossfire! I was visiting my dad at the Ford dealership when one of his salespeople asked for a ride in my car. As I was cruising around I bragged about the ESP system in the car and how tight you could take a turn. As I approached the turn to the dealership I didn't realize how fast I was going (approx. 70mph) and tried to crank a 90 degree turn. Although we all know how well the car can turn I found its limits. I slid sideways and went over a foot high curb breaking my front axles and ripping everything from the bottom of my car. To my surprise the tires didn't pop, but I sure did a number on the front suspension. They will put it up on the racks in the collision center today to see what was damaged underneath. They say that the oil pan is hooked to the engine block and there is a chance that the block may be sheared which would mean they would total out the Vehical. Either way lets just say Geico will not be real happy with they see the bill. Thank goodness for gap insurance!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:37 AM
Forum Regular

You have my sympathies.

I would expect the insurance to write it off.

You might find that some of the forum members would be interested in any spares going :idea:

Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 AM
Forum Regular

Ouch, however it does serve you right! Your insurance premium will go up big time next year if they do right it off.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:05 AM

I've looked at this post 3 times now and I'm still speachless..... :roll: ..... Other than to advise you to take up autocrossing. You'll learn a lot about driving and the limitations of your car.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by saldous
Ouch, however it does serve you right! Your insurance premium will go up big time next year if they do right it off.
i don't think i agree. that's too hard. and there but for the grace of....go you and me and everybody here..maybe. a little splash of oil...some wet leaves. who knows??

although getting into motorcross is a really great idea, most of us learn the limits the hard way. just, usually, not this hard.

coming off a street into a parking area can be especially tricky since the curb/gutter area is where the dirt and sand collect which a year or two on a motorcycle will teach you to watch for. also, the dip and rise, even with great suspension is going to be a factor in breaking grip.

dan

Old 09-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Forum Regular

Maybe I was a little harsh, but going 70mph to turn into a parking lot is just dangerous. He is lucky someone wasn't standing there, he could have killed them.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by houstondan
and there but for the grace of....go you and me and everybody here..
dan
You can say "God" here. This isn't a public school.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Forum Regular

pictures please.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 PM

The mental picture wasn't enough? Ouch and condolences.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Blaze red crossfire. You're not from around Bucks County, PA are you?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...pic.php?t=3052

Old 09-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow what a freaky coincidence.. You were visiting your dad.. the guy who wrecked the Jeep was a young guy.. blaze red xfire.. ripped both wheels off and the bottom.. exactly as the Jeep.. sounds like God gave you some just retribution JK, hopefully that wasn't you who wrecked the Jeep, but the coincidences are eerie.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow what a freaky coincidence.. You were visiting your dad.. the guy who wrecked the Jeep was a young guy.. blaze red xfire.. ripped both wheels off and the bottom.. exactly as the Jeep.. sounds like God gave you some just retribution JK, hopefully that wasn't you who wrecked the Jeep, but the coincidences are eerie.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by saldous
Not necessarly, I had an "accident" that was my fault (pulled out in front of a Lady that had her turn signal on - it was the NEXT road she wanted to turn into) and got a citation. GEICO considered it an "oops" and didn't increase my rates, not unusual for the major Insurers. Accident happened with my Volvo - T boned it right in the middle but was repaired and not totalled. I agree with saldous though, 70mph in a congested area winding up with a turn-in is somewhat aggressive. We all pay for others "accidents". Mine was a first in 50 years of driving and 35 years with GEICO. They had recovered the cost of my repairs from me many times over.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Default Re: Just wrecked my crossfire

Originally Posted by Lyman
As I was cruising around I bragged about the ESP system in the car and how tight you could take a turn.
Just before the crash, you didn't say something like "Hey, watch this", did you?

Sorry to hear of the crash, but entering a parking lot at a high rate of speed, all I can say, take it to the track.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular

All i can say is ouch! sorry to hear of any xfire in that kind of scrape!

Old 09-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

lets hope it doesn't look like this... :wink:

Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, cut the kid some slack... In 1973 I had my first sports car... A 1971 Triumph GT6+ and was driving Malibu Canyon road with my best friend (still to this day) when we took a hard right curve at 60mph and my cigarettes, which I had stupidly placed above my sun visor started sliding out the window... Like an *** I reached up with both hands to stop them... The next thing I knew was the front end of that beautiful little car was running through a barbed wire fence and up the *** of some black and white cow... Live and Learn

Old 09-28-2004, 04:36 PM

Lyman,
Sorry to hear of your scrape. Was the Guy from Ford(passenger) convinced of the Crossfires' superior performance? JK

Are you going to get a new one if they total it out?

Old 09-28-2004, 05:29 PM

They all had a good laugh at Ford. I had the entire sales and service crews out there after it happened. Unfortunatly their (Geico) not going write off the whole car. I was hoping to get a roadster this time, but I will have to wait 2 more years till my lease is up. At least I get new wheels :lol:

Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM

Yea, sounds like you made out ok. Take good care of the new wheels when you get them!!

Quick Reply: Just wrecked my crossfire