Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

ok, I'm a pain in the A-- but..New site and my Crossfire, questionable bumper quality

Old 10-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, I'm a pain in the A-- but..New site and my Crossfire, questionable bumper quality

Not sure I like this new site... searching is difficult and doesn't come up with results as expected... I searched with "oil" and got nothing when I was looking for threads related to oil changes and I know they are there.

And there are messages posted with dates from 1969 and 1970, what's up with that?????

I'm trying to find other posts from folks with the problem of cheap bumpers damaged by minor road hazards. The dealer has quoted me $1,300 to fix damage resulting from hitting a piece of rubber on the freeway and losing a grill piece. The bottom part of my bumper broke through, the grill piece is history, and the inner part of the wheel well is just a mess and has shredded hitting the tire. Personally, I'd think that the front of a car would be built to withstand rubber in the road, am I wrong? All of the above has been rather discouraging as I've enjoyed and learned from every member posting here. This is a great looking car, fun to drive, but has been costing me a bit in shoddy quality. Can't say I don't love it, but I'm not rich by any means LOL.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:51 AM
CrossfireForum.org Founder
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ok, I'm a pain in the A-- but..New site and my Crossfire, questionable bumper quality

The search problem should be fixed now. The minimum length for entering words to search for was set to 4 characters, so I changed it to 2 in order for the word "oil" to work. Also, as for the posts from 1969 and 1970, there was a problem with the database a week or two ago, and some information got corrupted. I'll clear out the corrupted posts when I get a chance.

Last edited by mightyjlr; 10-18-2004 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Default Re: ok, I'm a pain in the A-- but..New site and my Crossfire, questionable bumper quality

The bumper is of GOOD Quality. If you want to drive over road debris without damage, don't buy a sports car.Really, I can't think of any new sports car made that would have faired better.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Default Re: ok, I'm a pain in the A-- but..New site and my Crossfire, questionable bumper qua

Originally Posted by harry7
The bumper is of GOOD Quality. If you want to drive over road debris without damage, don't buy a sports car.Really, I can't think of any new sports car made that would have faired better.
Please take this in the best possible way Harry....

That was spoken like someone with money to burn and not a care in the world related to quality. However, it was of no assistance and I do happen to care about what I drive and spend $35,000+ on. Do I expect a sports car to be made of armor? No. Do I expect that if plastic is to be used on the lower half of a car that it would AT LEAST be able to withstand hitting a piece of rubber? YES!!!! I don't care what kind of car it is. "GOOD" quality would have left me with a dent, maybe missing paint and/or scratches.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by darice57
but has been costing me a bit in shoddy quality. .

i'm going to take exception to the comment about quality here. this is easily the highest quality car for the price that can be bought today. perhaps you're confusing "indestructability" with quality. this car was not built to be indestructable. the "tonka" version weighs 120,000 pounds and has a top speed of 8 mph.

this car, just like any motorcycle not built in milwaukee, expects you to steer around things that might hurt it. that's your job.

dan

Old 10-18-2004, 03:48 PM

Tell me what a good quality sports car is. One that would have withstood the chunk of tire. I can tell you that I work around Mercedes, Porsches, and Audi's, and they would have faired no better. Some of them are in excess of $100,000.00 If it had been a Corvette, you would have lost a fender. And no , I don't have money to burn. I'm on disability and have a very limited income. The Crossfire is built by Karmann in Germany, and is mostly Mercedes parts. They build the new beetle convertibles as well as all of the Jaguar convertibles. I highly doubt there is a quality issue.You are just expecting a low slung sports coupe to be as rugged as a Super Duty.(Ford Truck) Maybe Hummer will build a sports car.

Last edited by harry7; 10-18-2004 at 03:56 PM.