Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Is the Crossfire really 40% German?

Old 11-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is the Crossfire really 40% German?

Actually, one set of my husbands grandparents came from Canada, so I guess my kids have a little of that Canadian blood in them too, eh? You guys could related way back somewhere!

OK, no more people parts, back to the cars, sorry!

Old 11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
OK, no more people parts, back to the cars, sorry!
Yeah really, exchange #'s or something people! j/k

Old 11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mbepic

I feel sorry for the Merc owners who bought similar product, inferior design compared to the Xfire at a much higher price. Oh well, those owners still are satisfied because they believe they bought upscale and when you pay more, there is a natural feeling that you got what it was worth. I have always thought that the Merc. was overpriced mainly because of its German heritage.. Similarly, I would think the same of Porsche.
Yup and an Audi TT is just an over priced VW golf, or possibly a Skoda they are all built on the same platform after all.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:09 PM

I just looked at the Sticker from my '05 Radster and it says Germany:80%.
Who's said 40%?
I scanned that part :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Made in Germany.jpg (49.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Thumbs up Re: Is the Crossfire really 40% German?

Very interesting; good detective work MI
I would never believed 80%. That is the highest German content figure I have seen or heard.
Only 1% U.S./Canadian; I find that hard to believe.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!!!! THIS IS WHAT I SAID FIRST WHEN I POSTED THIS THREAD!!!!!!!! Maybe now I will get the responses that I wanted! So, at this point, do you guys think that the general public is being misleaded as to how much German this car really is???

Old 11-14-2004, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by golfdude
WOW!!!! THIS IS WHAT I SAID FIRST WHEN I POSTED THIS THREAD!!!!!!!! Maybe now I will get the responses that I wanted! So, at this point, do you guys think that the general public is being misleaded as to how much German this car really is???
i watched the development of this car for at least a year before it went on sale and have been pretty attentive to any message the carmakers were sending and the only one i got was "this thing is as german as an slk is" which is correct. what am i missing??

dan

Old 11-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Thumbs up Re: Is the Crossfire really 40% German?

Sorry Golfdude. A lot is said about everything on this forum and we have to take it with a grain of salt unless first hand proof is provided.
The difference with MI quote is that she provided proof of which I was not aware of before. You were right but how did we know that for sure at the time.

We hope you have come down from the ceiling. No need for upper case.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:52 AM

No worries guys. I was never mad, just surprised, and so writing in capitalized letters seemed appropriate. Well, on my first post, I did mention that I saw the parts content of 80% German on the window sticker, but I guess nobody caught on to this.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:45 AM

Pretty new owner here, yahoo! How do I find out the percentage of where the car/parts are built/from? Is it located on the car? If so where please?

Reggie (Regina)

Old 12-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Forum Regular

40% Merc and 18% Chrysler so that leaves the 42% which would be the modified SLK frame and the body built in Germany. I would lean more to 78% Merc than I would 60% Chryslery. Your thoughts?

Old 12-05-2004, 01:13 AM

Reggie, it's on the window sticker in that large box in the upper right quadrant. It's entitled,"Parts Content Information". I've got the sticker in a folder in my desk drawer. I've looked at it many, many times but never saw that box before I just read this thread tonite.
By the way, welcome. It's always nice to have "pretty new owners" here (as well as all of the other kind).

Old 12-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Forum Regular

40% Merc and 18% Chrysler so that leaves the 42% which would be the modified SLK frame and the body built in Germany. I would lean more to 78% Merc than I would 60% Chrysler. Your thoughts?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 AM

Bob G, the fact is, Chrysler themselves have admitted that the Crossfire is roughly 80% German, and roughly 20% American. Just read the top right corner of the window sticker that came with your car.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Banned

the Crossfire is 90% + german .

The design credits were to be preceived as 50-50, but I think it's more like 20-80% German side.

My sticker says less than 10% 0ther than German.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:20 AM

Bob G, the fact is, Chrysler themselves have admitted that the Crossfire is roughly 80% German, and roughly 20% American. Just read the top right corner of the window sticker that came with your car.
i don't know what "admitted" is but the car is a mercedes. period. there is no 20% american. that's just wrong. the window sticker, i'm looking at it, does say 80% german PARTS but it also says "1% us/canadian parts content". it's just that mercedes buys some parts for its cars from companies outside of germany.

they, the germans, do try to tell us that the car was "designed" in california but if you look at the latest mercedes slk you can see the same design concepts as on our car 'cept ours still looks better. that really thrills the guys who spend a lot more $ for a mercedes then get beat, straights and corners, by a crossfire. then there's the fact that hot chrysler sales are propping-up the overall diamler balance-sheet while mercedes fades and, oh yea, the weakened dollar keeps making those german cars a lot more expensive and therefore less competitive here.

dan

Old 12-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Talking Re: Is the Crossfire really 40% German?

i do think so because germany is a neighbour of the netherlands (thats where i live) and in Berlin is (ithink) a chryslerfactory where they makethe crossfire
but it is developed in america im not entirely sure but ithink theres a big chance that what i said is possible!! in Austria (under germany is an other plant from chrysler where they make the (grand)voyager grandcherokee liberty(in here the liberty is called cherokee) and the 300c

Old 12-05-2004, 12:40 PM

Bram, the Crossfire is not assembled in a Chrysler factory in Berlin, but rather final assembly is by Karmann in Osnabrueck.

Last edited by leebea; 12-05-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:41 PM

Commenting on what Dan Root said, the Crossfire was actually desinged by a Britsh car designer named Andrew Disen (I think that's how you spell the last name).

Old 12-05-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by leebea
Bram, the Crossfire is not made in a Chrysler factory in Berlin, but rather by Karmann in Osnabrueck.
oyeah thats true but the cars who stay in germany are getting a (i dont know how to call it in english but i think its: numberplate or somethinglike that)

Quick Reply: Is the Crossfire really 40% German?