Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

aftermarket radio

Old 11-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket radio

Lousy reception, especially AM, is making me consider getting a non-OEM radio. Just a basic AM/FM/CD. No need for MP3, satellite-ready, or anything fancy/pricey. Suggestions as to make & model being solicited.

Have read posts that the antenna may be the weak link and some sort of booster might be useful. Would welcome feedback from anyone who has had an aftermarket radio installed (for this same reason) and if you are satisifed. Fully understand that our situations may be different.

Finally, I am considering purchase & installation from Best Buy in Bridgewater, NJ. If anyone has experience (+/-) with this facility, your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thrilled (with the car)

Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Default Re: aftermarket radio

I live in Arkansas and was having a bit of trouble picking up any good stations. After I replaced my radio I am picking up nearly twice as much as before.

I got an Alpine CDA-9830 just before I got my crossfire. The trim color of it almost perfectly matches my center console and the green lights on it fit in perfect. It was pricey though, a bit over $300. It has mp3 and satellite though. I also looked at another model from Alpine that was like $140 and didn't include all the extras.

As far as the antenna goes, mine seems to do pretty well. I can pick up almost every station I know about. You might get another radio before you look at an antenna booster.

I did the installation myself in a couple hours, including an XM receiver and antenna. Just depends on your comfort level I guess.

Colby

Old 11-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had just upgraded mine with an Alpine CDA 9831 coupled with Alpine KCA 420i so that I can play my iPod using the receiver to control the iPod. The sound is awesome...

Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 AM

I also have the Alpine 9831. It may be a bit more than what the original poster wanted, but Alpine has some lower end models without all those features that would sound just as good. I have always been happy with Alpine.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 AM

I want to replace my head unit with a similar satellite ready Alpine unit. Can you tell me what you had to do for a harness to access the existing speakers and subs? I'm not to comfortable cutting wires and need it simple. Thanks

Old 03-04-2005, 02:25 PM

Flugelboy is right. I have on in my For Ranger and it pumps out really well. It also has time correction so all speakers hit your ears perfectly without interferring with one another. The creme-dela-creme is the $3,000 unit that Alpine makes. It actually is aluminum brushed on the outside and matched the interior of the car quite well. Someday, I will have that. Any further questions, just email me. I know a good deal of car audio. tpulling83@yahoo.com