Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

DIY Instructions - Front Marker Lights to FogLight =LED "Daytime" lights

Old 02-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Instructions - Front Marker Lights to FogLight =LED "Daytime" lights

Hello all, I have been a member for a few years, and thank you to the many contributors on this forum. You've saved me a lot of money by posting the solutions to common issues. They have all been easy fixes with your help. Love the Crossfireforum Community!

So it's my turn to contribute something..It is a personal preference, you may or may not want to do this.

My goal is to move the side marker light sockets to the fog lights, and then paint over them or have them filled, so I can create a flat and smooth side view, minus the orange/yellow reflectors. See these two photos for better clarity.

You can download the instructions in a pdf if it is something you want to do.
Instructions are very detailed, with photos. http://www.mediafire.com/download/jk...ED’S.pdf

A little history - My wife and I bought our 2004 Red Crossfire LTD Coupe in 2008 with 30k. Now has only 107k. It has been sitting in the garage because I haven't needed to drive it as much.

Since it is sitting now, my goal has been to update the look of the car. My plan is to repaint the front where rocks have pitted the hood and bumper, through wheels (I did a DIY Plastidip that turned out pretty good), and through LED lighting in the front.

For the LED's I am starting simple, just with the front marker lights, and the side front marker lights. The front markers where easy, these are the ones that sit inside the headlight housing...just buy the led 168 bulb and replace. The design of the light already has a rippled reflector so it is perfect for this led bulb...it ALMOST resembles some of the newer led designs coming of the line today.

One thing that has always bothered my about my car is the two orange/yellow marker lights in the front. I think I always keep the Crossfire Concept in mind when I look at the car, and these just don't belong for me. I am going to have them painted over when I get the front repainted.

So contemplating what to do with the lighting mechanism inside the side front markers, I could just leave it in without a bulb and paint over it, or put it to good use.

I always thought it would be great to have a Daytime Running light that complimented the front marker LED, and their are many options for doing this. I've seen people screw on led lights to their cars, but that looks a little off. I want it to look very stock. So I took the fog light out in search of some solution. I found that at the top of the inside is a curve, probably for heat exchange, and above that a very thick plastic outer housing. I chose to fit the side marker light mechanism to fit, into this top plastic piece, and have the light come down into that curve. The fog light itself will sit below the newly placed light, and it looks very very stock, is securely fit, and easy to access if replacing the LED bulb.

With this conversion you have lights on in your fog light house separate from your fog lights, more subtle than turning the Fog Lights on during the day.

DOWNLOAD THE DIY HERE. This is my mediafire account. http://www.mediafire.com/download/jk...ED’S.pdf

So here are a few photos of the final project...during the day On/Off and at night. The daytime photos don't do it justice, my camera is compensating for the light. but standing in front of it, they are very distinct.

DAYTIME - LED'S ON

DAYTIME - LED'S OFF

DAYTIME - DRIVERS SIDE LED'S ON

NIGHTTIME - LED'S ON ONLY

NIGHTTIME - LED'S ON AND FOG LIGHTS ON

Last edited by xzmilan; 02-26-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: adding clarity to project
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: DIY Instructions - Front Marker Lights to FogLight =LED "Daytime" lights

I was fortunately able to find some clear front-side marker housings a while back and I'm "all white" in the front. As for the orange/amber turn signals:

StealthBulbs.com - Invisible Turn Signal Bulbs For Your Car

Old 02-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Default Re: DIY Instructions - Front Marker Lights to FogLight =LED "Daytime" lights

Hello Maxcichon! Thanks for the reply. The side marker lights that I moved are in front of the wheel well on the side of the car, not in the headlight housing. Sorry if I didn't make that very clear. These don't blink, just come on with the parking lights.

Thanks for the link! Your car looks great!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xzmilan
Hello Maxcichon! Thanks for the reply. The side marker lights that I moved are in front of the wheel well on the side of the car, not in the headlight housing. Sorry if I didn't make that very clear. These don't blink, just come on with the parking lights.

Thanks for the link! Your car looks great!
That would not be legal in many states. The DOT regulations in Pa. require amber lights on front sides and red on back sides.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
That would not be legal in many states. The DOT regulations in Pa. require amber lights on front sides and red on back sides.
Good point Jim, again maybe this is not for everyone. I looked this up for my state before doing it, and there are no restrictions on this. Also asked my neighbor who is Highway Patrol he said that as long as the headlight has a marker that is white or amber, then you don't need the side one. I am in Florida by the way.

I just looked at yours and PA laws are much more specific for sure.

I moved to Florida from Kansas City about 5 years ago, and this is an example of how laxed the laws are here. We don't do inspections here, which really surprises me.

This is the rule of the land here.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The 2014 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.229 Lamps on parked vehicles.—
(1) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle and a red light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The location of the lamp or lamps shall always be such that at least one lamp or combination of lamps meeting the requirements of this section is installed as near as practicable to the side of the vehicle which is closest to passing traffic.
(2) Whenever a vehicle is lawfully parked upon a street or highway during the hours between sunset and sunrise and in the event there is sufficient light to reveal persons and vehicles within a distance of 1,000 feet upon such street or highway, no lights need be displayed upon such parked vehicle.
(3) Whenever a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto outside of a municipality, whether attended or unattended, during the hours between sunset and sunrise and there is insufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of 1,000 feet upon such highway, the vehicle so parked or stopped shall be equipped with and shall display lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (1).
(4) Any lighted headlamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed.
(5) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 180, ch. 99-248.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No inspections, I like that. We have inspections but they vary by county, for instance my county does not require any emissions testing, it's rural but any county with a fairly big metropolitan population does. And yes, the laws regarding lighting and side markers are very specific, so much so that several new cars actually would not meet the standards but they are not strictly enforced. I believe that is because even the State Police don't know all the regulations. They certainly know the speed laws. LOL

Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 AM

Yeah, they just look out for us don't they? I've only gotten 1 ticket but been tailed a couple of times....I was speeding of course. It's hard 1 day driving a 4 runner, then getting in the xfire, then realizing your about 10 miles over with very minimal throttle...I have a manual so I always start out in 2nd, 4th, and 6th, trying to keep my speed down! love it!