Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

Old 01-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

Now there are two Hatters on this Site? Ugly.....The RX8? Have you seen the back of your car? Enough said for me, I can post Polls on Many Forums if you like and let them prove to you who's car looks better. But you have your opinion and are entitled to it. But I do have taste and that's way I own an RX8. Dude you think I'm joking about the $1,000? I'm a student who is also self employed. I'm in a business with two partners. Though I'm not completely finished designing my web site you may take a look www.presmoe.com and I also have an ebay store at http://stores.ebay.com/PresMoe-Tractors-and-Lawnmowers_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Manual RX8's have proven themselves time and time again.........Staying up with 350Z's, S2000's, G35's and etc on tracks. I'm putting a $1,000 down on the bet and if your so confident that your Crossfire can beat me, you should too put the $1,000 down too. When I have my next trip up to Chi-Town, I'll PM you so you can find a Track up there some where. We'll meet and I'll show you what's up! I should be up there some time in the summer.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ccasmoe00
Now there are two Hatters on this Site? Ugly.....The RX8? Have you seen the back of your car? Enough said for me, I can post Polls on Many Forums if you like and let them prove to you who's car looks better. But you have your opinion and are entitled to it. But I do have taste and that's way I own an RX8. Dude you think I'm joking about the $1,000? I'm a student who is also self employed. I'm in a business with two partners. Though I'm not completely finished designing my web site you may take a look www.presmoe.com and I also have an ebay store at http://stores.ebay.com/PresMoe-Tractors-and-Lawnmowers_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Manual RX8's have proven themselves time and time again.........Staying up with 350Z's, S2000's, G35's and etc on tracks. I'm putting a $1,000 down on the bet and if your so confident that your Crossfire can beat me, you should too put the $1,000 down too. When I have my next trip up to Chi-Town, I'll PM you so you can find a Track up there some where. We'll meet and I'll show you what's up! I should be up there some time in the summer.
Actually, when true race car drivers are drving, the RX-8 cannot keep up on the track in comparison to the likes of the Integra Type R (Type R Version of the Acura RSX) S2000, G35 Sport Coupe, 350Z, and WRX (the regular one). Want proof, well, just buy the "Rotary Reborn" video from Best Motoring International...my favorite series of car racing videos. Here is the link:

http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com
or look for the DVD on Ebay

Old 01-20-2005, 09:55 PM

I have videos that show other wise... I can post if you all like? But their big files??? Some show the RX8 that wins, some show it losing. All depends on the Driver alot of the times. But another good link is the Top Gear Track, One Driver who tests the all the cars. Equal skills that he gets to put to each car so its fair. Heres a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/page_2.shtml

I'll stop right here with the Racing thing.............We really need to get back on Subject!

One thing that surprised me about the Top Gear Laps were that I didnt see the Crossfire on there at all. I wonder why? I've seen the review but they should have takin it around the track. Does any one know why they didnt? Does anyone have a Video Besides Top Gear of the Crossfire on a track?

Last edited by ccasmoe00; 01-20-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:07 PM

ccasmoe00 - I have an honest question for you? What is that little triangle thing on the back of the RX8? Just decoration? Doesn't Mazda know you can't polish a turd? I'm only kidding! I looked into the RX8, but I fell in love with the Crossfire so that's what I bought. But really, what is that triangle thing. Forgive me if it's a dumb question...

Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 PM

Naw I've gotten the question before......its ok! Its a Rotary Accents. Theres one in the Front and one in the back. Here a pic of my Silver RX8, There a back Rotary Accent and A Front Rotary Accent if you look close.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front.jpg (201.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
Back.jpg (171.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Smile Re: The Crossfire has become a very dangerous vehicle to drive

Originally Posted by ccasmoe00
I have videos that show other wise... I can post if you all like? But their big files??? Some show the RX8 that wins, some show it losing. All depends on the Driver alot of the times. But another good link is the Top Gear Track, One Driver who tests the all the cars. Equal skills that he gets to put to each car so its fair. Heres a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/page_2.shtml

I'll stop right here with the Racing thing.............We really need to get back on Subject!

One thing that surprised me about the Top Gear Laps were that I didnt see the Crossfire on there at all. I wonder why? I've seen the review but they should have takin it around the track. Does any one know why they didnt? Does anyone have a Video Besides Top Gear of the Crossfire on a track?
You make a great point that the driver is an important aspect of a car's performance. In my opinion, since the RX-8 and Crossfire are similar in performance, it would be driver skill that will determine the victor...before thinking about racing, think about how good a driver you are. Looking at my Best Motoring video, the RX-8 was about a full second slower per lap than the S2000 and G35 Sport Coupe, I must say. Looking at 0-100 figures, the long gear ratios of the RX-8, and it's lack of torque make it loose steam after about 80mph, as the acceleration times in comparison to other cars, the 350Z and S2000, start to differentiate themselves by significant margins.

What seems funny is that I started this thread for my car because it has a severe popping out of gear problem and yet this thread has turned into what looks like a bragging contenst between two self-employed men driving two wonderful, unique cars.
You know guys, we do have a "racing" section!

Ohh yeah, try to post some videos or some links to the racing videos please.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:37 PM

The RX-8 is not for everyone that is for sure niether is the XF. We both own mediorce peforming cars. In a straight line I think I'll take you. But you will prolly take me in the twisties just to my lack of experience in that field. Plus I have no experience with this car in the turns. If I had my m3 still I would toast you. Turns or straights, me and that car were one. After the m3 was gone only being doing the straights. Not the same cat though.I think HDDP or Redcross would spank ya. They spank rx-8's all the time on roadcourses.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Your both right, I didn't come sign up on here to fight about who's car is faster. I want to make a big point that I hope everyone takes into consideration the next time they pull up to an RX8 and try to take off and smoke it. First, there are so many people out there that own this car and have no idea how to take advantage of the Rotary Engine. Second when pulling up to an RX8 on the Road you guys have to realize that there's 2 totally different RX8's out there. The Auto is a pig, believe me I had one before I traded to my 6 Speed about 5 Months after owning it. The Manual is sooo much faster its crazy.

And you guys are right about the driver, I've seen videos where the RX8 loses(But in those videos while in the cockpit I never heard the driver hit the Redline once)That's tells me he can't drive a RX8. Then in others videos, I've seen the RX8 beat the pants off of the S2000, 350Z, G35, RSX, R32, Alfa and others. It really take a good driver who knows how to drive REV happy cars to drive one properly.

I believe it's on Best Motoring Video T-64702464 if any one would like to see it. I have a lot of videos downloaded on my computer but will they fit on here? We're talking about 62MB!

Heres a guy thats knows how to use a high Reving Engine.
http://www.mymazdarotary.com/rx-8_vi...ime-attack.avi <---Takes a little while to load

Last edited by ccasmoe00; 01-21-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Can we change the heading for this thread to: This thread has become very boring to read.

CCasmoe00, personally I think the RX-8 is very cool looking, and I don't car which car is faster, but let me know when you and Bullseye get together for your big race. I will gladly drive my Crossfire from the west coast to watch you cream him in your RX-8.

I second golfdude's motion for you guys to go to the racing section so those of us who LIKE our cars can discuss them without getting bogged down in the pissing contests.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:02 AM

Sorry guys let get back on Topic.............

Old 01-21-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by hunt416
Can we change the heading for this thread to: This thread has become very boring to read.

CCasmoe00, personally I think the RX-8 is very cool looking, and I don't car which car is faster, but let me know when you and Bullseye get together for your big race. I will gladly drive my Crossfire from the west coast to watch you cream him in your RX-8.

I second golfdude's motion for you guys to go to the racing section so those of us who LIKE our cars can discuss them without getting bogged down in the pissing contests.
^^^ Looks like another owner with buyers remorse.

Golfdude any word on what they are going to do? Oh If you do buy an evo buy an 05, they have a new wastegate and larger exhaust port on the turbo. They put down about 20whp more than they used to in 03-04. And if you can afford it buy a MR.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bullseye
^^^ Looks like another owner with buyers remorse.

Golfdude any word on what they are going to do? Oh If you do buy an evo buy an 05, they have a new wastegate and larger exhaust port on the turbo. They put down about 20whp more than they used to in 03-04. And if you can afford it buy a MR.
Well, I called the dealer yesterday and they said that they would be calling the "Chrysler Gods." They have not called me yet as to what they will be doing with the car. At this point the car will probably not be able to go into service until Feb. 3rd because I am too busy with work, but I surely want the car to get into service as soon as possible. Driving the car has become a very unpleasant experience because driving in traffic is very bad. I am constantly holding up traffic because my car is popping out of gear and because getting into second gear is very harsh. Every time I shift into second, I feel as if something is grabbing the shift **** and putting resistance onto it. If my car is declared a lemon, I will be looking at the cars that I was looking at before I got the Crossfire: STI, Z4, EVO, S2000, M Coupe, or RX-8, maybe even the SRT-6. Bullseye, you said that the '05 Evo has more power, but the specs on the '05 don't show that. The MR would be a dream car, but it is highly unlikely to get a good deal on one of them, especially leasing. Did I mention the 400 hp Vishnu Evo I test drove? Look under "other cars" in the forum and look for this car. A true dream of mine would be te M Coupe with the S54 engine (315 horsepower, less than 3000lbs)...it is very, very similar to the Crossfire SRT-6, yet comes in 5-speed stick and has buldging fenders that I drool upon every time I see one. Furthermore, getting one (2001-2002 model year, only used ones are available), would be a great investment as their value seems to hold up extremely well...many say that it will become a collector's car in the future, and it will appreciate in value.

Last edited by golfdude; 01-21-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by golfdude
Well, I called the dealer yesterday and they said that they would be calling the "Chrysler Gods." They have not called me yet as to what they will be doing with the car. At this point the car will probably not be able to go into service until Feb. 3rd because I am too busy with work, but I surely want the car to get into service as soon as possible. Driving the car has become a very unpleasant experience because driving in traffic is very bad. I am constantly holding up traffic because my car is popping out of gear and because getting into second gear is very harsh. Every time I shift into second, I feel as if something is grabbing the shift **** and putting resistance onto it. If my car is declared a lemon, I will be looking at the cars that I was looking at before I got the Crossfire: STI, Z4, EVO, S2000, M Coupe, or RX-8, maybe even the SRT-6. Bullseye, you said that the '05 Evo has more power, but the specs on the '05 don't show that. The MR would be a dream car, but it is highly unlikely to get a good deal on one of them, especially leasing. Did I mention the 400 hp Vishnu Evo I test drove? Look under "other cars" in the forum and look for this car. A true dream of mine would be te M Coupe with the S54 engine (315 horsepower, less than 3000lbs)...it is very, very similar to the Crossfire SRT-6, yet comes in 5-speed stick and has buldging fenders that I drool upon every time I see one. Furthermore, getting one (2001-2002 model year, only used ones are available), would be a great investment as their value seems to hold up extremely well...many say that it will become a collector's car in the future, and it will appreciate in value.
Finding an 01 m coupe is going to be tough. And your better off buying a m3, they hold their value much better and I was talking to a 01 m coupe s54 owner and he said when he races his buddy's m3 of the same year his better gearing makes him pull harder regardless of the wieght. But granted I have owned 01 m3 and I will still take a coupe. Wicked lil' cars. Just hard to find. I think 01 was the only year for the s54 in the coupe. Good luck either way. The 05 evo's feel like a 03 evo with an ecu and TBE. Thats what i have heard from 03-04 evo owners. and they put more hp down.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:17 AM
kusheen
Default still?

Sold my manual Crossfire a year ago, never had problems with it.

Have dropped in on this board maybe 3 or 4 times since I sold my car. I am simply dumbfounded that so many people appear to still be experiencing the gear popping problem, now 18 months into the car's launch, and about 14 months after the problem first began to surface.

I can't believe, well, I guess I really can, that Chrysler didn't jump out on this and recall the cars and take care of the problem.

About whose car is faster...bench (or in this case, cyber) racing is always fun, but it proves virtually nothing. Virtually everyone with an enthusiast's car THINKS they're a great driver simply because they've drag raced other drivers of marginal skills, or because they can hang onto a decreasing radius exit ramp.

My bet is that, with all due respect, neither one of you can even remotely begin to wring out the true performance envelopes of your respective cars...so again, it's really just pointless bench racing.

Now if either of you have bona fides regarding autocrossing experience, serious track time on a road course---not talking about a couple of track day field trips, but some serious track time, or certificates from legitimate driving schools, I stand corrected.

As for the cars' looks. For me personally, I do think the Crossfire is for the most part one of the best looking cars ever made. It's front end, to me, is it's weakest desgin area, but even that grew on me over the time I owned the car. The rear reminds me of the old Chevy Cheetah sports racing car from the 60's. I love it.

The styling of the Mazda is ok, but to me, those front fenders are a bit extreme and not terribly attractive.

They're both enthusiast's cars, both have remarkable strengths and weaknesses that require compromise on the owners' part.

Let me know when you guys arrange your challenge. I'll tag along with the Lotus Elise I'm picking up next week, just to make things interesting.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:32 AM

The only problem with the M Coupes, with either engine, is that they are available in only 5-speed, and not 6-speed...this is why it can't use it's weight advantage to beat an M3.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by golfdude
The only problem with the M Coupes, with either engine, is that they are available in only 5-speed, and not 6-speed...this is why it can't use it's weight advantage to beat an M3.
Yup also the restrictive exhaust manifold put on the m coupes 3.2L What makes it 315hp instead of 333hp.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye
I think 01 was the only year for the s54 in the coupe.
01' and 02' were the only years with the great engine in the m coupes...you are not kidding...they are hard to find and most still want top dollar for the rarity.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 PM

I have found a good amount of M Coupes around but they certainly want top dollar, I have yet to see a nicely kept, low milage S54 engined M Coupe for under $35,000.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
01' and 02' were the only years with the great engine in the m coupes...you are not kidding...they are hard to find and most still want top dollar for the rarity.
I didn't know that they made in them in 02, I guess you learn something everyday. There is not one m coupe for sale with in 500 miles of me.

35k is way to much money for a coupe, you can get a 02 M3 for less money than that. I was just looking at a 02 m3 fully loaded just missing the nappa, navi, RSS. With 30k on it for 31,995. And im sure they would have worked on the price. Was going to buy it but that old 8 grand negative equity and all that you know that old chestnut.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:47 AM

I have yet to see a nicely kept current body stlyed M3 for under $35,000 either. And yes, S54 M Coupes were in production between 2001 and 2002.