Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

cooling fan runs constantly, a/c blows warm.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan runs constantly, a/c blows warm.

Hello. I have a 2005 Crossfire. Over the weekend i had to recharge the a/c system because it was blowing lukewarm. After I recharged it, the a/c then blew hot and the cooling fan now runs constant. I'm not rich and am hoping there is an easy fix to this. Can anyone help?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: cooling fan runs constantly, a/c blows warm.

What pressures did you see in the system before and after your 'recharge'?

Keep in mind that MOST of the time the A/C blows warm/hot air, the A/C is fine and the duovavle is either stuck, or the connector is corroded, which means maximum coolant flows in the heater core - giving you, yes, hot air!

Sounds to me like you goofed here, in charging a system that did not need it.

And if the system DID leak down, you should be looking for the leak BEFORE you recharge. But I've driven several vehicles over 200,000 miles and NOT ONCE have I EVER recharged an A/C system. And yes, they all worked to well past 200,000.

But getting to your point....
If the engine fan is running full speed, then:

1) Is the "low coolant" light on? (THis is a little radiator-looking light on the left side of the panel). If so, it sounds like the Fan Controller is in "emergency mode" - and I'd wonder why. (If this is the case, we can work on THAT....)
2) If the "low coolant" light is NOT on, then the PTCM is commanding the fan to run full speed - which implies to me that it sees something grossly wrong. Perhaps out of spec A/C pressure could cause this, I am not sure.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-11-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
What pressures did you see in the system before and after your 'recharge'?

Keep in mind that MOST of the time the A/C blows warm/hot air, the A/C is fine and the duovavle is either stuck, or the connector is corroded, which means maximum coolant flows in the heater core - giving you, yes, hot air!

Sounds to me like you goofed here, in charging a system that did not need it.

And if the system DID leak down, you should be looking for the leak BEFORE you recharge. But I've driven several vehicles over 200,000 miles and NOT ONCE have I EVER recharged an A/C system. And yes, they all worked to well past 200,000.

But getting to your point....
If the engine fan is running full speed, then:
There are two valves, each sending heat to the drivers side or the passenger side, and both getting stuck at the same time would be a coincidence.
There have been few AC failures mentioned here so I tend to doubt the symptoms have been read correctly.
Does he mean the rad fan or the heater fan?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Right Dave. Also, I thought of something, if the pressure sensor in the A/C sees out-of-spec low or high pressure the system won't engage hte A/C clutch in, well, I THINK, all cars.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you guys have nailed it! I once did a quick recharge with the Walmart kit and got exactly this result. Then, I got the Harbor Freight AC servicing set up, and did it properly, VOILA, it works as new now. Another HF tool well worth having, as I have done all 3 of my cars, my brothers, and friends, with good results. This HF manifold connects to both the Hi and Low pressure valves and optimizes the pressure, whereas the Walmart type connect only to the low and often mucks up the system.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Right Dave. Also, I thought of something, if the pressure sensor in the A/C sees out-of-spec low or high pressure the system won't engage hte A/C clutch in, well, I THINK, all cars.
I agree with this comment. Nearly all auto HVAC systems operate with this built-in protection to prevent a compressor failure.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I agree with this comment. Nearly all auto HVAC systems operate with this built-in protection to prevent a compressor failure.
The only thing is, I wonder what rational reason there is to spin up the engine fan as he describes. Why did they design it like that, if such IS the case?

I'll think on THAT one a while......

Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right, the AC system has a high pressure and low pressure cut out switch to protect the compressor .

Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I think you guys have nailed it! I once did a quick recharge with the Walmart kit and got exactly this result. Then, I got the Harbor Freight AC servicing set up, and did it properly, VOILA, it works as new now. Another HF tool well worth having, as I have done all 3 of my cars, my brothers, and friends, with good results. This HF manifold connects to both the Hi and Low pressure valves and optimizes the pressure, whereas the Walmart type connect only to the low and often mucks up the system.
Jeff, which kit did you get to correct this?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoc3
Jeff, which kit did you get to correct this?

My name is Jim, JEF are initials but the kit is R134A at $59.95 and the air vacuum pump at $19.95

Old 08-07-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
My name is Jim, JEF are initials but the kit is R134A at $59.95 and the air vacuum pump at $19.95
Thanks JEF (I apologize for the misspelling of your name), bought the kit and my ac now blows arctic cold. Many thanks for your input.