Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Battery dead

Old 10-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery dead

Hi folks. I have a 2008 Coupe which I purchased new in 2010. A month ago, it began to not start. I hear the rapid clicking sounds so I think the starter is good. I jumped the battery, and it starts up quickly. Did that several times and decided to get a new battery at Costco. Long story short. I took the battery to a local Chrysler dealer and had them replace my battery. On the way home, I stopped over at a few places and the car started quickly and powerfully two times. On the third time, it only clicked rapidly but won't start. Had to jump it, but it would not start. Persisted with the jumper cable on for 5 mins and it finally started. I got home -- which is only about 2 miles from last jump -- and tried restarting but it won't start. Just the rapid clicking.

Questions:
1. Does that seems like my alternator is bad?
2. Any thoughts on what devious thing my dealership could have done to create a new problem that didn't exist before?
3. Any other thoughts?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

My first try will be to get the batter replaced at Costco and see if the current battery was just a lemon.
If that does not work, take it to the dealership. I'm a bit suspicious though.

Mike

Old 10-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Battery dead

I would be carefully checking the battery ground ( negative ) connection, it can tend to corrode at the bolt on the fender well.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the response. My battery did have fair amount of corrosion build up on the positive terminal. I cleaned it up with baking soda and water. Not sure if the technician who replaced the battery did more cleaning. I'll have to check that out.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Thumbs up Re: Battery dead

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I would be carefully checking the battery ground ( negative ) connection, it can tend to corrode at the bolt on the fender well.

I cleaned the terminal area thoroughly yesterday and viola, the engine started without a hitch. Your advice was spot on. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the car is running, disconnect the battery. If the car dies, your alternator is bad.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueKat
While the car is running, disconnect the battery. If the car dies, your alternator is bad.
Yea, that's one way to do it, but NOT a good idea.
I prefer the 13.8-14.2 volts reading when running, 12.2-12.8 when off method though.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-13-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

THAT is dangerous advice. A voltmeter will tell you if the alternator is charging, but to disconnect the battery while the engine is running means that the alternator is driving the electrical system with no filter (an automotive storage battery is one HELL of a filter capacitor).

I don't see taking such a risk when a $30 meter from Lowes or any auto parts store will tell you what you want to know.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

That could be one costly diagnoses...

Old 10-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Used to be done BUT since all the computers/electronics, NEVER do this!

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yea, that's one way to do it, but NOT a good idea.
I prefer the 13.8-14.2 volts reading when running, 12.2-12.8 when off method though.

Plus 1

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
THAT is dangerous advice. A voltmeter will tell you if the alternator is charging, but to disconnect the battery while the engine is running means that the alternator is driving the electrical system with no filter (an automotive storage battery is one HELL of a filter capacitor).

I don't see taking such a risk when a $30 meter from Lowes or any auto parts store will tell you what you want to know.

Plus 2

Originally Posted by James1549
That could be one costly diagnoses...

Plus 3

Old 10-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Very nice discussion. Thanks for all the helpful replies. Crossfire Forum is one great place. No, I take that back. It's the only great place for Crossfire owners.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes best & only place for advice from people who really know & care !!!